West Ham Utd 0-4 Liverpool (14/05/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Liverpool: match thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

Doc H Ball wrote:I'm not sure that we have bought/loaned one player in the past 12 months who would be in a starting XI. Arthur maybe, but that's more an indictment of Cresswell's form.

We could have not signed Snodgrass, Feghouli, Nordveit, Tore, Zaza, Calleri, Fonte, Fletcher or Arbeola and
wouldn't have noticed any difference.
If we stick with this three at the back, and the way we leaked like a sieve after we abandoned it suggests we must, then I'd say Fonte and Masuaku play.

I also think Feghouli potentially plays in the front three; his uselessness is defensive diligence rather than attacking intent. He was easily our best attacker today.

I was pleased to see Adrian have a good game, and I expect that must have been the final nail in both Nordtveit and Calleri's tenures at the club.

There were too many big names out today in our front five/six - and anyone who thinks Liverpool would have wrapped Carroll up like they did Calleri is doolally. Likewise Kouyate, Obiang and Noble would have all got amongst them with greater success while Antonio would have given them more of a chasing at times.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

madhammer wrote: While i can see why the board and or Bilic were attracted to the signing in the summer, unfortunately it hasn't worked out..
Could be the new club motto. :P
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote: I also think Feghouli potentially plays in the front three; his uselessness is defensive diligence rather than attacking intent. He was easily our best attacker today.

I was pleased to see Adrian have a good game, and I expect that must have been the final nail in both Nordtveit and Calleri's tenures at the club.
Feghoulli played like a man seeking a new contract ......at another club , Nordtveit on the other hand has the comfort of another 4 years on his current one at this club .

Some of the players today looked like their agents have already been told to find them another club .
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

bubbles1966 wrote: If we stick with this three at the back, and the way we leaked like a sieve after we abandoned it suggests we must, then I'd say Fonte and Masuaku play.

I also think Feghouli potentially plays in the front three; his uselessness is defensive diligence rather than attacking intent. He was easily our best attacker today.
I'd still rather have Tomkins in my defence.

Feghouli? Yes, front 3 if anywhere and he did have his best 40 minutes or whatever it was for us, but he's been fairly anonymous like the others. £10m to Roma was crazy talk but I'd snap their arm off.

12 months on and we could've left our chequebook in our pockets (dunno when Lanzini was booked) and been no worse off. A good RB and a good striker were the only real issues and we failed miserably there.

I'd keep Arthur and Fernandes and melt all the others down into Dan Sturridge and Pablo Zabaleta.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'm not suggesting these players are perfect but we are where we are.

We've somehow got to find a system that works for centre halves who are at the veteran stage, full backs who can't defend but who are pretty good going forward (shame Byram missed the early chance, lovely move by us) and where we have no consistently fit and serviceable senior centre forwards.

Agree completely that we need a RB or RWB, and we need at least two forwards. Can't imagine there will be much money left over unless we are bargain bucket shopping again.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Puff Daddy wrote:Does anybody else think John Terry would have made a better fist of defending our lines today than Ginge ? I know none of you want him, that is not the question, but just for one moment, put your prejudices to one side and think about it, because that display from him today was as shocking as any I can remember from a West Ham defender and my memories stretch back a hell of a lot of years. In fact, I think I can say, it was just about the worst ever. Truly shocking and absolutely abject
Strodder?
Breen?
Davenport?
garage
Has liked: 1 like

Post by garage »

Ayew hit the post twice in seconds Lol
whizzer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by whizzer »

We erre absolute **** today. END
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

Don't get why practically the same Team that defeated Spurs so honourably, got torn a strip today. Another PL match we don't win without Noble, is that 10 in a row ?

Such a disappointment to a season end.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

brooking_1980 wrote:Don't get why practically the same Team that defeated Spurs so honourably, got torn a strip today. Another PL match we don't win without Noble, is that 10 in a row ?

Watch MOTD. They highlighted perfectly why, all game our players were strolling around, not going with runners, not chasing back when we lost it, football is that simple.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Two things today highlighted:

1) How bad our signings are when we scrape the bottom ppof the barrel for them.

2) How funny last week was that this team ended Spurs' title aspirations.
Last edited by Billydinho on Sun May 14, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

More lead was swung during that second half than would be found in a pencil factory
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

One thing wrong today was the attitude but also give Liverpool some credit. Klopp saw what we all thought was a strength of our recent defence for a weakness, pretty much played on Collins on the floor and Sturridge et al ripped him apart. The support from Cresswell and Lanzini was questionable but Collins lack of pace and movement was totally exposed. Reid cut out numerous situations they had created playing around him first half.Very reminiscent of what Arsenal and City (twice) did to us earlier in the season.

Shows that if we are not bang on it with our best players we struggle against the best.

As for the substitutions I had no issue with the change of system, Liverpool were bossing it so we had to try something different but he took of the wrong centre half, Collins should have been the one. Feghouli was probably our best outfield player which sums it up really. The strikers Be that Calleri or Fletcher were totally isolated I doubt Loren or Matip have had easier games all year as we pinged long balls at players who were never going to win them. The movement after the first twenty minutes from Lanzini the two wing backs and especially Ayew meant it was easy to close down Fernandes and Nordtveit and both got steadily worse as the game went on.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

brooking_1980 wrote:Don't get why practically the same Team that defeated Spurs so honourably, got torn a strip today. Another PL match we don't win without Noble, is that 10 in a row ?

Practically the same Team? There were 2 big changes involving 4 players today by swapping Nordtveit and Fernandes for Noble and Kouyate at the heart of the team which would make a hell of a difference. It was night and day by comparison.

Agreed on the disappointing end to the season with that performance but to be expected considering the changes, which were exacerbated in the 2nd half taking off Fonte for another young inexperienced lad.
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by woodywoody »

We were solid the 1st half but struggled to get out of our half often, After they scored I think it forced slavs hand to early and although ferghouli was a menace for Liverpool ,he never came back to support which left reid shifting across to help Byron leaving Collins open too often.

we do struggle to get any balance between defence and attack, Too many players gave the ball away and there defence thought they was strawberry picking today with absolutely no body strength from caller.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Its been one of Calleri's biggest weaknesses all season long not getting to grips with the physicality of the League and I had my reservations about his hold play made clear myself a while back. If he can't hold the ball up often enough or score goals, then it's difficult to see him having a long career in this League. Maybe it is just best to go separate ways now and for him to play in a more physical friendly League where he'll get more time on the ball to play rabona football.

One thing I will say about him though is he has had a spot on attitude I respect abiut his game.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Quite simply, we played like a team with nothing to play for and has one eye on sunning up on some far-flung tropical beach.
Atrocious display today. Gutted for the fans who turned up to watch that shower, nothing but anger towards to players for that performance.
We spent £20m on Ayew when it should have gone towards an actual top drawer centre-forward. Hitting the post twice from 2 yards out says it about this entire season. Even the simple things are a struggle.
Pathetic.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Byram would've had more chance scoring that first half chance had Calleri passed him the ball instead of lifting it to him. Easier and quicker to control when it's on the ground.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

kayahammer wrote:Byram would've had more chance scoring that first half chance had Calleri passed him the ball instead of lifting it to him. Easier and quicker to control when it's on the ground.
Maybe. But then Byram's first touch was perfect. The problem was the shot
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Absolutely correct. Can't blame Callieri for Byram's dragged effort. He had no excuse for not making the keeper work, at least.