West Ham Utd 0-4 Liverpool (14/05/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Liverpool: match thread

Post by Sauce! »

The Old Mile End wrote:Anyone know why the Liverpool player (probably Continho) was not booked for going over to celebrate his goal with the crowd? Lanzini was booked for doing it on Friday.

Not that I'm advocating it, but isn't it a bookable offence these days?
If anyone deserves a booking for celebration it's Sturridge and his ridiculous "dance", which he did right in front of us (142) yesterday. Headbanger
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Sauce! wrote:
If anyone deserves a booking for celebration it's Sturridge and his ridiculous "dance", which he did right in front of us (142) yesterday. Headbanger

IF we were to sign him , and he did actually score for us do you think something could be written in to his contract to prevent him from ever doing the dance again ?

Nearly as cringeworthy as the Harry Kane/ Delle Ali thing
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Fonte was playing Sturridge onside. An awful offside trap.
As for their third, it was probabky hand ball and liverpool should have kicked it out of play as Reid was down, but that doesn't excuse the awful awful defending from that point. Someone should have shown some initiative and simply fouled whoever had the ball and then kicked it out. That was up their in the worst top flight defending I have ever seen. We need to seriously work on our defending of counter attacks as we have been done loads of times this season
Fully agree, ironically I think that yesterday's result was actually a good thing as it should remove any complacency from the board and manager over the summer and ensure that we start next season with a fitter, stronger and more resilient squad.
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

morganwhu wrote: you could argue that we basically need 9 decent top class players to even complete with the top 8 (not the 2 that Sully pretends we do).
Patito wrote:We don't need to be doing what we did in the last summer transfer window and signing body after body.
No, last summer we signed ****.

This summer we need to sign decent players.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Morgan, it's not quite that bad. Here would be my list:

Adrian
Reid
Cresswell
Masuaku
Byram
Kouyate
Noble
Obiang
Antonio
Fernandes
Lanzini
Ayew
Carroll - based only on his ability (I understand and agree with the injury argument)
Sakho - based only on his ability (I understand and agree with the injury argument)

Others can argue the toss about including others but those for me are the genuine quality we have right now that makes us tick when they play. Injuries will always be a part of this Club and won't change drastically anytime soon so we have to go with it for now. Add in 2 or 3 Academy players into the squad which should happen next season then we are looking at about a handful of genuine quality to add to the squad make-up. Zabaleta going by all reports is close to signing then it's even less. But the 4 or so new players do need to be serious quality that can hit the ground running. We ain't a million miles away from having a decent squad. This is the Dave's biggest test to see just how serious and good they are at their jobs to get the kind of players that can truly make the difference with all the resources we can now call upon involving renevue and sales like some of the Payet money and possibly someone who could get sold. One things for sure though is that we definitely don't and shouldn't attempt to sign half a squad again like last summer. It woukd be the wrong avenue to go down and it set us back for this season doing so.
Patito

Post by Patito »

morganwhu wrote:
No, last summer we signed ****.

This summer we need to sign decent players.

We always need to sign 'decent' players. We still don't need a mass exodus and loads of new faces coming through the door. A handful of sensible signings will suffice, not a completely new team.

Edit - CNR has summed it up well
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Talking of goal celebrations and no bookings for Sturridge and Coutinho, how much ****ing time did the ref allow them to celebrate every goal?? Once upon a time the ref would be straight over to the celebrating players urging them back for the re-start, these days they seem to be allowed to celebrate as if they've just won the title.

Anyway, I digress. I feared the worst once Bilic broke the news earlier in the week that Kouyate and Noble were out and with all the other first teamers out, it was as I feared. Twas always going to be difficult yesterday and ultimately they had more hunger for the game than our team who other than Adrian, Lanzini and Feghouli, were shocking yesterday.

It was reasonably even up til their goal and from the BMU I couldn't tell if Sturridge was on or off and I havent bothered with MOTD but enough on here have suggested that it was just on but for me the biggest sinner in the first half had to be Ayew. If he scored at such a pivotal moment before half time, it was a game changer but whatever shred of confidence he may have been clinging on to went out of the window as he managed to hit the post from a matter of feet, not once but twice - I made a twat of myself with my premature celebrations, I mean it had to be a goal didn't it??

Second half they went for it and we just surrended to be fair. They bullied us all over the place and they are not exactly what I would call a physical team but we rolled over for them far too tamely and yes, like tens of thousands of others, the fourth was the nail in the coffin and we left. Last two games epitomise being a West Ham fan - a complete team performance against Spurs full of grit followed by an an abject surrender full of ****.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

That match just showed what a **** summer of business we did as hardly any were good enough yesterday. We were always going to get thrashed, especially with no protection for our back three. It was the slowest back three in the league against one of the fastest moving attacking three in the league.

Liverpool could have scored about 8 in first gear yesterday, we were so far off them in terms of quality.
Bergen Hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Bergen Hammer »

Not at all surprised by the result yesterday. Told my mates we'd turn up wearing flip flops and Hawaii shirts. Saying that, had ayew not played pinball and the ref been less of a **** we might have gotten something. But when we went behind it was always going to be curtains. The difference in motivation was too much.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

We 100% looked as though they were on the beach yesterday and without Noble and Kouyate we were always up against it. That and some spineless refereeing meant we got a real beating. A disappointing end to a disappointing season it has to be said.
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

Colours never run wrote:Morgan, it's not quite that bad. Here would be my list:

Adrian
Reid
Cresswell
Masuaku
Byram
Kouyate
Noble
Obiang
Antonio
Fernandes
Lanzini
Ayew
Carroll - based only on his ability (I understand and agree with the injury argument)
Sakho - based only on his ability (I understand and agree with the injury argument)

Others can argue the toss about including others but those for me are the genuine quality we have right now that makes us tick when they play. Injuries will always be a part of this Club and won't change drastically anytime soon so we have to go with it for now. Add in 2 or 3 Academy players into the squad which should happen next season then we are looking at about a handful of genuine quality to add to the squad make-up. Zabaleta going by all reports is close to signing then it's even less. But the 4 or so new players do need to be serious quality that can hit the ground running. We ain't a million miles away from having a decent squad. This is the Dave's biggest test to see just how serious and good they are at their jobs to get the kind of players that can truly make the difference with all the resources we can now call upon involving renevue and sales like some of the Payet money and possibly someone who could get sold. One things for sure though is that we definitely don't and shouldn't attempt to sign half a squad again like last summer. It woukd be the wrong avenue to go down and it set us back for this season doing so.
I really do not think Byram is good enough, I've seen enough of him now and seen him have one or two decent games....most recently vs Spurs.

Also in that list, we have a number of players who do the same job/play in the same position e.g Cresswell and Masuaku......Noble, Obiang, Kouyate and Fernandes.

I do not think Ayew does enough to warrant a starting 11, I just do not understand his position or what he really offers, he has scored a few 'tap-in' poachers goals this season but I do not see him as a second striker neither do I see him being good enough to play as one of three up front.

With Carroll and Sakho, we basically do not have a striker, you cannot go into a season relying upon either of them.
Patito

Post by Patito »

morganwhu wrote:
Also in that list, we have a number of players who do the same job/play in the same position e.g ......Noble, Obiang, Kouyate and Fernandes.

How on earth have you worked that one out?
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

What a sad day it truly was, I though it was a bad day when we found out it was family day and the players had their children with them, perhaps buckets and spades also ready for an holiday? as so many have said it reflects how much bad business we did in summer and January, but Mr Social Media Man Himself Gold in an exclusive on another forum, not our fault, nothing ever seems to be their fault they are both tefal men lol

The exit door has to be opened quickly and see many faces depart, also it has to include some who are injury prone, you seem so many top strikers who deliver and sadly ours simply don't injuries apart,

Saddened me even though the players let us down it felt as if we were at Anfield at times the way their supporters were, and I never like to see so many doing the early walk.

Can we lift ourselves for next week? I have stopped trying to work out if we can? Poor refereeing again, the yellow card soon came out for one of our players, and the handball, summed up yesterday, and to be on TV a well..
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

morganwhu wrote:
Also in that list, we have a number of players who do the same job/play in the same position e.g ......Noble, Obiang, Kouyate and Fernandes.
Patito wrote:How on earth have you worked that one out?
They are all fairly central, fairly defensive midfield players.
Patito

Post by Patito »

morganwhu wrote:
They are all fairly central, fairly defensive midfield players.

Well, Fernandes certainly isn't.

Noble and Kouyate aren't even remotely similar in terms of playing styles.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Agreed Croutchend, poor sportsmanship from the scousers not to kick the ball out when Reid went down with a head injury. But the defending was so poor I think our players were in shock that the ref didn't stop the game. Coutinho just walzed past them, but we should of played to the whistle.

Poor darts which ever way you look at it.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Patito wrote:

Well, Fernandes certainly isn't.

Noble and Kouyate aren't even remotely similar in terms of playing styles.

Exactly that.
Colours never run

Morgan

So apart from Byram who you have issue with (personally I'm more than happy with him and will only keep improving) and the injury jinxed Strikers which I agree cannot be relied upon alone, everyone else you're fine with which only goes to show we definitely don't need half a squad. A handful of quality players is all we realistically need and should try and get. And Zabaleta would be a good start with more funds available for fees on areas that will cost a lot ie a new quality fit Striker. I'll probably be in the minority, but Bacca would be the one I'd go for and reckon this time he'd come.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

wildkard wrote:Their keeper was even trying to attract the refs attention when Reid was down. Well, at least initially, before he then celebrated like they'd won the FA Cup, Would Cup, and justice for Michael Shields all at the same time. Doesn't excuse us defending like we were playing our wives at FIFA and giving them a chance.
Ha ha. i noticed this.
As they were breaking away, i saw both Mignolet and a couple of others trying to make the point to kick it out. And then, yes, Mignolet did have a proper celebration when they scored!

I will give Coutinho the benefit of the doubt that he simply didn't realise rather than made a deliberate decision to play on.

As i said earlier, it doesn't excuse what went on after from a defensive point of view, and let's be honest Winston made a bit of a meal of it. I think he was hoping that if he stayed down the game would be stopped, but it backfired
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

Colours never run wrote:Morgan

So apart from Byram who you have issue with (personally I'm more than happy with him and will only keep improving) and the injury jinxed Strikers which I agree cannot be relied upon alone, everyone else you're fine with which only goes to show we definitely don't need half a squad. A handful of quality players is all we realistically need and should try and get. And Zabaleta would be a good start with more funds available for fees on areas that will cost a lot ie a new quality fit Striker. I'll probably be in the minority, but Bacca would be the one I'd go for and reckon this time he'd come.

I think we need to buy the following:

- GK
- RB
- CB
- LM/CAM
- ST
- ST

So realistically 6 players who can start, not squad players, not substitutes.