West Ham Utd 0-4 Liverpool (14/05/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Liverpool: match thread

Post by Jumby »

Blimey " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Looked like their first goal was at least a yard offside. But the space Reid and Fonte left for Sturridge was nothing short of criminal.

And the blatant handball / elbow in the box that led to Coutinho waltzing it in at the other end was probably one of the worst decisions I've seen at the new place this season. It's only just eclipsed by the Zlatan offside / Mike Dean sn*thousery against the Mancs.

But decisions aside, we were very poor. Amazing how we can go from putting so much effort into our last game with vital points to play for to being guanteeed safe with the players' minds on summer holiday destinations. Add to that we had a bare bones team out of squad players and misfits.

Had to leave my seat after about 30 mins and stand on the concourse with a bottle of water after being up half of the night with my son and sitting directly in the blazing heat. The football on display didn't help but fair to say I won't be retuning to the East Stand next season.
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

And my last word on it is that a full-strength Stoke outfit shipped four to the Arse at home the day before. Think that puts it in perspective considering the amount of first choice players we were missing. And the mid-table nothing-to-play-for situation. We wanted to put the brakes on the Mickeys but could half of those players be bothered? Perhaps I'm being too harsh. Anything from 13th to 16th now and roll on next season. :scarfer:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Fonte was playing Sturridge onside. An awful offside trap.
As for their third, it was probabky hand ball and liverpool should have kicked it out of play as Reid was down, but that doesn't excuse the awful awful defending from that point. Someone should have shown some initiative and simply fouled whoever had the ball and then kicked it out. That was up their in the worst top flight defending I have ever seen. We need to seriously work on our defending of counter attacks as we have been done loads of times this season
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

In many ways, a fitting end for the final home game

No papering over the cracks of what a shambles of a season this has been in so many aspects
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

That Sturridge goal was pretty much down to Collins having a brainfar and going walkabout for no good reason which left behind a massive gap he should have been filling. Sure Fonts didn't help but its to be expected with Sturridges typical quality movement bending his run the way he does so well.

As for that double Penalty in one move with a dangerous elbow/handball, the Ref was a joke and was true to form with so many cultish decisions that seem to haunt us these past 2 season's. What chance do you have, honestly when such a mindless decision is allowed to go unpunished other than to us the team It punished. Piss take.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Nesticles wrote:In many ways, a fitting end for the final home game

No papering over the cracks of what a shambles of a season this has been in so many aspects
Very true .
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Fonte was playing Sturridge onside. An awful offside trap.
As for their third, it was probabky hand ball and liverpool should have kicked it out of play as Reid was down, but that doesn't excuse the awful awful defending from that point. Someone should have shown some initiative and simply fouled whoever had the ball and then kicked it out. That was up their in the worst top flight defending I have ever seen. We need to seriously work on our defending of counter attacks as we have been done loads of times this season
It's far worse than that, 5 or 6 of our players didn't even run back, it wasn't even a fast counter attack, if they had trotted back they would have stopped it.
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

Colours never run wrote:Practically the same Team? There were 2 big changes involving 4 players today by swapping Nordtveit and Fernandes for Noble and Kouyate at the heart of the team which would make a hell of a difference. It was night and day by comparison.
Looking back, I've seen that Kouyate was not in the Hammer Horror shows 0-4 Arsenal, 1-5 Man C & 0-4 Liverpool and we have not won minus Noble for 10 matches, so the changes did have big effect - as you had predicted.

I'm still not getting that there were 9 other players on the pitch who played against Spurs, and Nordveit in his better position and Fernandes is not bad, the Team played like they were in Costa Del Sol, which is not on, considering how much we pay to watch.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Definitely agree many were already thinking about where their Passports are. But for the life of me Nordtveit is dogshit in this division (hence Wenger being smart enough to offload him) and Fernandes makes a poor centre midfielder and should be played much higher up the pitch or out wide where his pace and skill can really do damage. He's wasted centrally and it does him nor us any favours.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Anyone know why the Liverpool player (probably Continho) was not booked for going over to celebrate his goal with the crowd? Lanzini was booked for doing it on Friday.

Not that I'm advocating it, but isn't it a bookable offence these days?
Colours never run

Because it's one rule for them and completely another for us.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Their keeper was even trying to attract the refs attention when Reid was down. Well, at least initially, before he then celebrated like they'd won the FA Cup, Would Cup, and justice for Michael Shields all at the same time. Doesn't excuse us defending like we were playing our wives at FIFA and giving them a chance.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

[quote="Nesticles"]In many ways, a fitting end for the final home game

No papering over the cracks of what a shambles of a season this has been in so many aspects[/quote

Nail on head Nesticles.

Thank gord this season is almost over, busy summer ahead, hopefully...
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

I was actually quite up for this yesterday as was my group including some kids. But as soon as we got on the bridge heading to F it was obvious we had the dullard crowd turning up and it would be back to the normal pony atmosphere. Trudging towards the stadium in total silence decked out head to toe in club tat. Looking frightened if someone dares to shout "irons" out to rev it up a bit. Then strangers trying to sit behind me in 130 where we have stood all season, the corpses sat next to away fans in total silence, followed by the usual ref leg ups to ensure the Far East continue to subscribe to the Premiership accompanied by a completely lame performance from our continuously injury depleted abject squad.

With the trains up the spout for 2018 I'm not exactly itching to renew.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Porkeyes it's being so cheerful that keeps you going isn't it .
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Antonio
Noble
Kouyate
Obiang
Carroll
Masuako
Sakho

All out injured and all probably would be in our best starting eleven ( I have tried to list them of "certain to be selected " )

Cant help thinking Liverpool might have suffered without

Coutinho
Emre Can
Sturridge
Lallana
Milner
Firminio ( Yes I know he didn't play )
and Origi
Colours never run

JLCABA wrote:Antonio
Noble
Kouyate
Obiang
Carroll
Masuako
Sakho

All out injured and all probably would be in our best starting eleven ( I have tried to list them of "certain to be selected " )

Cant help thinking Liverpool might have suffered without

Coutinho
Emre Can
Sturridge
Lallana
Milner
Firminio ( Yes I know he didn't play )
and Origi

Exactly that and why I said before the game when clocking both line-ups I was already fearing the worst.
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

We really just aren't a very good team.

I only think the following are good enough:

- Reid
- Cresswell
- Lanzini
- Noble
- Kouyate
- Obiang
- Lanzini
- Antonio

Given that half of them have been out collectively for half the season with injuries you could argue that we basically need 9 decent top class players to even complete with the top 8 (not the 2 that Sully pretends we do).
Patito

Post by Patito »

morganwhu wrote: you could argue that we basically need 9 decent top class players to even complete with the top 8 (not the 2 that Sully pretends we do).

We don't need to be doing what we did in the last summer transfer window and signing body after body.