West Ham Utd 0-4 Liverpool (14/05/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Re: West Ham Utd vs Liverpool: match thread

Post by Iron George »

HammerAl wrote:-------------------- Adrian --------------------
------------ Fonte Collins Reid ------------
Byram Nordtveit Fernandes Masuaku
--------------- Ayew Lanzini ----------------
-------------------- Calleri --------------------

No Noble after his performance against Spurs ?

I expect Slaven will start with the same side that began the last game where possible, only making changes through injuries.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

To be honest, I didn't think he was as good against Spurs as most have made out. But since doing that team, I've had a think about it and, regardless of who played well the game before, would actually give Fletcher a go instead of Calleri and maybe throw Rice in the mix at CB. Now we're safe, we may as well give some of the young / fringe players (fringe players who have a future with us at least) a go for the last couple of games, hence why I'd put Nordy and Eddy in the middle. Get Quina back on the bench and don't risk any injury-prone players who could damage themselves more.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

Whilst the board keep Bilic on what is effectively a one year rolling contract, what benefit would it be to him to blood youngsters? The answer is none, he will be judged by the board on league position and points gained.
Those saying give Bilic another year are doing the same as the board, we either sack him or back him with a 3/4 year contract, that's what strong effective management is, all this short termism just brings along its own problems.
I would give him a long contract, purely because I would not trust our board to get anyone better then Bilic in.
There wont be any kids in the starting line-up on Sunday, too much for Bilic to lose.Tried and trusted is the formula the board have encouraged both under Allardyce and Bilic.
There is no plan beyond the next 12 months, there never is.
As for Quina, WTF is all that about? Bloke is nowhere near ready for the first team.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

The board wouldn't be happy with blooding youngsters considering how much league position is worth.

You really want to put a teenage centreback in against the team third in the league? Calleri played a big role in our win on Friday and Fletcher didn't exactly tear them apart when he came on, some decent glimpses but he wasnt better than Calleri.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Iron George wrote: No Noble after his performance against Spurs ?
I keep seeing this. I thought he had a pretty poor 90 minutes, his passing and ball retention were way below standard and spent large parts in no mans land chasing shadows.
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

I completely agree with you. Managers these days can't take the risk and most will not plan for the upcomin seasons. I'm not saying that Bilic will blood the youngsters, I'm just saying that is what I would like to see, players given a chance. I doubt he'll change the starting XI other than Kouyate and maybe Reid depending on their injuries / operations.

Having said that, if Reid is out and want to play 3 at the back again, we will need someone to fill in CB. I doubt Ogbonna is fit yet and Rice as has been on the bench recently?

Kouyate is out. Fernandes to come in?

I think Nordtveit should be given another chance in the middle if he isn't slipped into the back 3.

Quina has been on the bench a fair few times this season. Him being back on the bench again on Sunday doesn't seem too crazy considering our depleted squad?
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

DDHammer wrote: I keep seeing this. I thought he had a pretty poor 90 minutes, his passing and ball retention were way below standard and spent large parts in no mans land chasing shadows.
Very easy to underestimate the job that Noble and Kouyate did in cutting off supply to Alli, Son and Eriksen. They didn't get a look in and it left Kane isolated with Reid coming through him to take every ball that came their way.

We will need the same type of performance this week to keep Liverpool quiet going forward. Stop the supply to Coutinho and Firmino and you are half way there.

Fernandes in for Kouyate seems the only obvious change. I don't think we would be dynamic enough with Noble and Nordy in there.
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

thejackhammer wrote:The board wouldn't be happy with blooding youngsters considering how much league position is worth.

You really want to put a teenage centreback in against the team third in the league? Calleri played a big role in our win on Friday and Fletcher didn't exactly tear them apart when he came on, some decent glimpses but he wasnt better than Calleri.
I agree. More just saying what I'd like to see for the last two games. I've spent most of this season fearing relegation so would like go into this game feeling a bit more relaxed about team selection and see a couple of youngsters given a go, but not saying it will happen. If we want to continue playing 3 at the back then, looking at the last few squads, it's either Rice or Nordtveit to play in defence if Reid isn't playing.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I don't see Fernandes as a Kouyate replacement unfortunately. I see him as a technical player, a good passer, and a player who prefers attacking to defending. He doesn't put in a tackle very often and is certainly no workhorse. Noble and Fernandes together may leave us a little weak.

In the absence of Kouyate and Obiang, Nordtveit is really the only one left that can play the role. I also suspect that he may be a little faster than people think . It's the way he runs that makes him look slower.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Been Noble's biggest critic this season, but he was fantastic on Friday. Don't know which match people who disagree were watching. The amount of balls he nicked between Tottenham lines was endless and his distribution after winning them was good. As for the lack of fitness in our squad, well that myth has been well and truly exposed on Friday. For a couple of 34 year olds Fonte and Collins to run into midfield on multiple occasions and steal balls of Spurs midfielders tells me there is nothing wrong with our stamina. Also agree with Burnley that Fernandes can't play the Kouyate role, especially against a top 6 side. Nordtveit will most likely come in and have to do the best he can bursting into the box.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I don't see Fernandes as a Kouyate replacement unfortunately.
There no such thing... he is a beast! Play him in the right role and he is first choice every week!
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Having just read the Liverpool forum match thread, can we get our DJ to stick some Leonard Cohen tracks on just to cheer them up?

They are there for the taking as the saying goes, they need a positive result to keep alive their hopes of another benefits cruise to Europe. We need to be patient and convert chances we do seem a bit lax in finishing chances,
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

Burnley Hammer wrote:In the absence of Kouyate and Obiang, Nordtveit is really the only one left that can play the role. I also suspect that he may be a little faster than people think . It's the way he runs that makes him look slower.
Yup, 'deceptively slow' is another of his well documented attributes.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 854 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Iron George wrote: No Noble after his performance against Spurs ?

I expect Slaven will start with the same side that began the last game where possible, only making changes through injuries.
Totally agree. The most complete team performance of the season and the same team should start against the Scousers. Strange how people see games differently, Noble was superb against Spurs I thought.

Really looking forward to this game. I originally thought the Spurs game would be my last one of the season but a STH mate cannot make it and I am happy to keep his seat warm for this one. Happy Days.

I reckon we can sign off at home in style on Sunday.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Fernandes should have started against Spurs for me.

Has been great in midfield and on the wing recently.

Our most promising youngster, who deserves a start vs Liverpool at the weekend.
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Noble was superb against Spurs I thought.
This. 100%. It astounds me the amount of people that don't seem to have seen this. Without being funny and not wanting to cause a row (which it will) I suspect that they weren't in the stadium (apologies to anyone who was and must have just had their eyes closed).
Lostcoco

Post by Lostcoco »

I wouldn't start Noble this match because i'd rather give Fernandes and Nordtveit a chance in the midfield and more gametime
trevshead10may1980

Post by trevshead10may1980 »

I agree, keep the same team that were so superb against Spurs, injuries permitting. I thought every one of our lads had a great game, 11 heroes out there. I really cannot understand the Noble and Calleri knockers, they must have been watching a different game.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Yep, keep it the same. That 11 must be on a high from Friday, and hopefully that continues into the weekend.
1860OnceMoore

Post by 1860OnceMoore »

reading that Liverpool fanzine - really not sure they watched the Spurs game - they seem to have the illusion Spurs battered us!

Very odd breed the Scouser