West Ham Utd 0-4 Liverpool (14/05/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammertapp
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Liverpool: match thread

Post by Hammertapp »

If Reid can't play here I wonder if this is the chance to give a young CB an opportunity? Now we're safe I think slotting one of Oxford or Rice in with the experienced Collins and Fonte is a sensible move and a great way of getting them some 1st team experience.

1-0 West Ham (Calleri)
artlin

Post by artlin »

If you re read the first few pages of the Spurs thread, all the predictions were for us to ģet thrashed.

Now, we are unbeatable!!

Incredible. Talk about fickle fans.

BTW, Masuaku first name is ARTHUR. Spelt with a U not an E nor is it arfer.

Last home game of the season, I think that Slav will have them up for a repeat of last Friday. Just depends on injuries and fitness as always.

A good performance and playing for the club is all I ask.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

With Reid and Kouyate out, I'd change the formation.

I know it's worked well the last few weeks, but it's not the only way we can play. We made a mistake earlier in the season trying to use that formation for every type of opposition and it backfired.

I'd play:

-------------------------------Adrian---------------------------
---Byram------------Collins----------Fonte----Masuaku (or Cresswell if he's still not fit)
------------Fernandes-----Noble-----Nordveidt----------
-----------------------Ayew----------Lanzini-----------------
-------------------------------Calleri----------------------------
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

James P wrote:It must be maddening to be a Liverpool fan this year. They're unbeaten against the top eight but have lost six games against those below including each of relegation battling Palace, Hull and Swansea.
Sort of like us last year then :) Sadly, I don't think that they can somehow contrive to finish seventh though.

I think we can beat them - they're certainly not as good as Spurs. However, I'm going to put us down for a heavy loss in the prediction thread upstairs to ensure we get the points.
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by likemydreams »

Calleri will get his 1st goal
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

I am Legend wrote:I can't believe one of you dropped Calleri..... I don't think people understand how football or this formation works. If you remove Calleri it will stifle everything. His pressing and intelligent runs is a nightmare for defences. 2 of the best CBs in the Prem couldn't handle him. His runs creates huge spaces for Lanzini and Ayew to run into. Remember Lanzini having two clear runs through on goal? He was smart and ran in behind Walker while Calleri dragged the CB's the other way.

I know he hasn't banged them in but he is like a frozen car, just let him keep revving and it will get going. Bar a great save from Lloris, he would of scored vs Spurs. Has no one noticed how much faster and fitter he is each match? Imagine when he has played 10 games straight.

He is essential to this system that seems to be working. The goals will come.

Dont change anything imo. Show the same work rate and passion and we will beat Liverpool.
I thought much the same vs Spurs that, ironically, if Carroll was up front it would have been a completely different game and we might well have lost.
mushy
Has liked: 652 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

The above is correct, without his running and closing down plus the ability to nick a ball off a defender our game plan would be toast.
Everyone is concentrating too hard on his inability to hit the back of the net, but the chance he made on Friday was entirely made and worked by himself.
High pressing against this lot could well pay dividends.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

likemydreams wrote:Calleri will get his 1st goal
He scored at Boro
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 463 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Cannot start Carroll over Calleri. No way. We have looked good playing this system because we have high energy up top. Calleri will start, I don't see Slav making changes to that side that won on friday unless it's forced. Not sure what to think of this game, Klopp has a bad record against us as it stands but football is football.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1781 likes

Post by hammers92 »

We've played them 5 times since Bilic came in and haven't lost, they won't be looking forward to this. Especially after today's result, they have a mental block against mid table sides.
wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Liverpool were terrible today, flat and uninspired. They play like that again and we maintain our recent form then we should do these. What a change in complexion on the 'home' season that would be.
DanT93

Post by DanT93 »

I said we would beat spurs in the spurs thread and i see no reason why we cant beat these aswell, they were nothing bar a great solo goal by can against watford and watching them against the saints i still feel the same way, unless someone has a moment of magic they don't look a threat.

Saying that it all depends what players we have available.

West Ham 2-1 Liverpool.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

We will win this. They are a poor team
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

wolf359 wrote:Liverpool were terrible today, flat and uninspired. They play like that again and we maintain our recent form then we should do these. What a change in complexion on the 'home' season that would be.
Slaven should wathc all the games Puel has played against them. Liverpool hasn't been able to nick a win, or score a goal against his teams.

Same line-up and intensity as against Tottenham, and we should be ale to grab a point.

:scarfer:
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Without the pace of Mane they look blunt in attack, we should be able to stifle the midfield ala spurs 3-5-2. Hope Fernades can provide the front foot energy that Cheik does as we do need fast legs in CM to press Firminho/Coutinho/Lalana.

3-2 Hammers
Believer
Has liked: 1425 likes
Total likes: 761 likes

Post by Believer »

I am Legend wrote:I can't believe one of you dropped Calleri.....
Good call. It would be typical of our luck to have groomed him for the premier league only for Stoke or a Bournemouth to sign him and him to hit the ground running. I've been critical but have to agree the more game time he has got, the more impressed I've been. Must be worth another years loan if his club allow it. Far rather him than a sulking Sakho.
II am Legend wrote: Dont change anything imo. Show the same work rate and passion and we will beat Liverpool.
Watching them today they ain't anything special. Same team same commitment and we will beat these and pee on another team's ambitions this week...
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

saw this on a scouse board:

"I know a few West Ham fans and they said that they would gladly let the team roll over against us to stop Arsenal getting top 4"

not sure even chas would go as far as to roll over for the mickeys. couple of rungs above the goon on the clubs i can't stand ladder personally and torpedoing their CL hopes a week after doing the same for spurs' title hopes would almost make this pony season worth it.
Last edited by Beavis Danzig on Sun May 07, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lostcoco

Post by Lostcoco »

After watching them today gonna have to say an easy win to us... they're crap
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

likemydreams wrote:Calleri will get his 1st goal
Can you narrow it down a bit to at least the year (for his 2nd goal)?
bobo

Post by bobo »

I got the impression Reid was ok till end of season or will step down if Ogbonna is ready to get some game time but Kouyate will under go OP.