Burnley 1-2 West Ham Utd (21/05/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Re: Burnley vs West Ham Utd: Match thread

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

mushy wrote:Those picking Quina in their sides.

All I have seen of him is earlier in the season in the Europa thing and he looked like a little boy lost to me.

Can someone tell me whats changed in the meantime apart from the fact that he has been labelled 'promising'?
Exactly for that reason Mush, we hear that the kid is promising so let's find out. Admittedly I've seen very little of him, but won't ever reach his apparent potential without minutes. Sunday seems a good opportunity to test him, as well as Rice.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

And thats my exact point.
According to the spin coming from the club we have at least 10 'promising ' youngsters (I am not convinced).
I have seen a few in the flesh, Quina looks like the unlikeliest of all of them to adapt to an away game at Burnley.
I am just wondering why particularly Quina gets the nod above the others, its like there is some strange bandwagon rolling along.
Holland (from the little I have seen) looks a much better prospect as do a few others.
But what do i know?
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

If Nordtveit plays...
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Gotta give Martinez a go even from the bench, the lad has been great for the reserves and our strikers have all be sheet.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

We can't play Martinez. We haven't recalled him from the loan, and he only played for the U23s because it's classed as non-competitive or similar. We've done the same with Knoyle and Burke this season, had them back for U23 games but they're still technically on loan. I think we had Dobson last night, as well.

I think there are only three of the really promising youngsters on our books (according to the club) who aren't on loan - Rice, Quina, and Holland. Quina is obviously fancied, he's been on the bench a fair few times for the first team this season and (I think?) trains with the first team. Rice has made the bench recently for us too, so I would assume he's thought of pretty highly. I think Holland was on the bench against Everton, but that's his only appearance in the squad.

I think it's a lot easier for one of Holland or Quina to come in and do well than it is for Rice, especially given how shaky we can be defensively. And it seems like the club is higher on Quina than Holland based on his squad appearances this season, so if one of this clutch of youngsters is going to get played it'll most likely be him.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Didn't know he was fit again until last night...

I'd start Martinez instead of Callleri
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Domingos Quina

Brought through top European academy at Benfica
Been on the books of top Premier League academy at Chelsea
Has a Youtube video titled THE NEW PAYET
Dribbles around players at will a lot in the clip
Has sat on the bench a bunch of times

Putting 2 and 2 together...he is a superstar in the making. This is the kind of dumb thought process I went through when he first signed for us, minus the last point and the Payet reference of course. Having watched his clip, he doesn't even look that good. Youtube clips are pointless and misleading. How many players are able to dribble around 3 players at the top level? If he was as good as Rooney or Owen at their age I am sure he would have had some sort of opportunity already. Martin Odegaard was/is rated as the next big thing at Real and has done next to nothing in the Dutch league.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

need to be professional and actually turn up for the game this weekend as opposed to last sunday.

adrian
fonte collins rice
byram lanzini fernandez nordsvelt masuaka
ayew fletcher

subs
randolph cresswell dobson fegouli snodgrass callerie quinna

1-1 ayew from 3 yards !
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

mushy wrote:Those picking Quina in their sides.

All I have seen of him is earlier in the season in the Europa thing and he looked like a little boy lost to me.

Can someone tell me whats changed in the meantime apart from the fact that he has been labelled 'promising'?
You're probably right; what has changed has been that he has not been in the team. Seems in that case lots on here raise players to superstar status. As with Nordtveit, it's only when they get onto the pitch that reality kicks in.
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

Don't think I'd realised Reid was out for this one. Probably time to give Rice a chance at the back, in the middle of Fonte and Collins. Either that or Ogbonna gets to return.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 499 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

So I make that Carroll, Sakho, Antonio, Obiang, Kouyate, Noble, Masuaku and Reid all out injured.

Is there even any point in playing the game? :lol:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 499 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Can you imagine Tottenham performing without Kane, Janssen, Alli, Eriksen, Wanyama, Dier, Alderweireld, and Rose? :lol:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Dead rubber. I don't care - it'll be my first away of the season and a new ground for me. Always wanted to go to Turf Moor. Looking forward to it regardless of who's in, who's out and who's shaking it all about. :scarfer:
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Can you imagine Tottenham performing without Kane, Janssen, Alli, Eriksen, Wanyama, Dier, Alderweireld, and Rose? :lol:
This would be an advantage for Tottenham? No ?
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:Dead rubber. I don't care - it'll be my first away of the season and a new ground for me. Always wanted to go to Turf Moor. Looking forward to it regardless of who's in, who's out and who's shaking it all about. :scarfer:
For some reason one of ,my favourite away jaunts

Enjoy Dave
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

I love the way people here slates our 16-17 year old kids...

So useful...
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

JLCABA wrote:For some reason one of ,my favourite away jaunts

Enjoy Dave
Cheers pal - I intend to :)

have no idea how I've managed to avoid the place before. Was the one place left in this country that I'd wanted to get to and hadn't managed to.

Anyway - coyi.
Burnley Iron

Post by Burnley Iron »

Sitting on the edges of their seats for much of the time this season Clarets fans have often been a bit muted at home. But Turf Moor on the final day of the season is a good time to pay your first visit, what with the Clarets managing to retain their PL status PLUS, of course, the sad demise of near neighbours B Rovers to celebrate. Looking like a fairly full house, too, which will add to the atmosphere. The away end, partly shared with home fans, is a bit dated but its acoustics are great, so you can make a fair old racket in there.

Traditionally, last game of the season Burnley youngsters usually race onto the pitch at full time and often head rashly in the direction of the away end (before thinking better of it when they see the reaction :lol: ) but it's just exuberance - they're just kids.

One or two welcoming pubs up near the station, you've also got the cricket club for (mostly) away fans directly behind your stand.

There's fantastic scenery around Burnley (which isn't the prettiest of places, but then nor is East London, come to think of it). Have a great day out.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Martinez already excited for next season
Martinez is not available for selection for Slaven Bilic’s first team in their final Premier League clash against Burnley on Sunday due to the rules surrounding loans to the Football League over the course of a season.
http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017 ... ext-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Can you imagine Tottenham performing without Kane, Janssen, Alli, Eriksen, Wanyama, Dier, Alderweireld, and Rose? :lol:
Son, Winks, N'Koudou, Sissoko, Dembele, Wimmer, and Davies would cover that lot and they'd be more than fine.