PSF: West Ham Utd 0-3 Manchester City (04/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Viking_Hammer
Has liked: 66 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

PSF: West Ham Utd 0-3 Manchester City (04/08/17)

Post by Viking_Hammer »

Next up!!

Anyone coming over for this? Give me a shout if you want any travel tips and such.

I would though warn anyone that is hoping for a good atmosphere and a full stadium, IT´S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN(very much doubt there will be a viking clap as this is reserved for the national teams).

Only 3000 tickets sold last I heard as they took the p*** with the prices and the Icelandic people didn´t take kindly to it, as well as this being the main travel weekend over here people are basically going to festivals all over the country outside Reykjavík.

Still I´m going with quite a few Icelandic Hammers and it should be a laugh, hopefully I´ll see some of you.
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Re: West Ham vs. Man City(Iceland)

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

You are the Hype Man !! :lol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

It shall be very interesting to see what sort of side each team puts out for this .I wouldn't be surprised if each club are contractually obliged to field their strongest available side .

Someone, somewhere will have weighed out a chunk of folding to each club to play this game in Iceland , and if only 3,000 tickets have been sold someone will probably be sitting on a huge loss .I bought two of the cheapest tickets and have paid £40 a head which in the grand scheme of things is neither here nor there , but wouldn't it be nice if local schoolchildren had been allowed to go in for free or a nominal amount .Hopefully common sense will prevail and they allow local kids in for nowt .

As for the game ? We'll lose , and lose huge if City stick out anything like their strongest side .We're undercooked and under strength .,

City 5 - WHU 0 .

Looking forward to the Chuck Norris burger bar .
belgohammer

Post by belgohammer »

Viking_Hammer wrote:(very much doubt there will be a viking clap as this is reserved for the national teams).
Yeah.

I thought people had the decency of leaving that alone, considering it was an Icelandic thing as well.

But watch the ****ing French abuse it over in League 1. c****.

Anyways, bring on the goal galore already.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Don't know what the score will be but we'll lose by 3 goals minimum. Man City have had bundles of energy this pre-season, i'm expecting bambi legs and buckled ankles from our lot and cut backs in our box to multiple unmarked Man City players for 90 minutes.

We really don't look to have improved when it comes to defensive shape so games against the big sides are pretty much write offs.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Thankfully for us poor peasants who could not afford the trip the game is being televised on Eurosport.

I hope those who make the trip have a great time, no whale, seal or puffin eating though!

The people I know who have been to Iceland have said what beautiful and unusual country it is.
hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hammerddh »

Has Hart actually played yet ?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I'm going to this, but more excited about visiting Iceland.

Anywhere you can recommend to eat Viking? I have an Eldsmidjan pizza outside my hotel, and I'm pretty much staying right on Laugavegur.

As for the match, I'm just hoping to see Hernandez etc all get valuable minutes and hopefully we don't get humiliated by City once again.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

City should have had 7 against spurs and that's no exaggeration.Hopefully Slav will see sense and play hart and Adrian.
daveo
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by daveo »

Indications on twitter it's live on Eurosport but not seen anything official yet.

Anyone seen confirmation?
Kialos

Post by Kialos »

hammerddh wrote:Has Hart actually played yet ?
Only an armchair fan but sure I saw him play in one of the games against Bremen?
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

bubbles500 wrote:City should have had 7 against spurs and that's no exaggeration.Hopefully Slav will see sense and play hart and Adrian.
:lol:
Kialos

Post by Kialos »

daveo wrote:Indications on twitter it's live on Eurosport but not seen anything official yet.

Anyone seen confirmation?

It's on Sky planner channel 411
Viking_Hammer

Post by Viking_Hammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:I'm going to this, but more excited about visiting Iceland.

Anywhere you can recommend to eat Viking? I have an Eldsmidjan pizza outside my hotel, and I'm pretty much staying right on Laugavegur.

As for the match, I'm just hoping to see Hernandez etc all get valuable minutes and hopefully we don't get humiliated by City once again.
Those coming over for the weekend will be in for a party, be it in Reykjavík or somewhere out in the country, as it is the main festival weekend over here.

Here are a few tips for you though:
- Be ready for the trip to hit your wallet because it is one of the most expensive countries in the world.
- The golden circle and Blue Lagoon are worth the money.
- There is not a lot happening in Reykjavík in the daytime but it has a busy weekend nightlife.(Just as a side note and nothing to worry about as most Icelanders are very very nice, but during weekends you do get those bellends looking for trouble and repercussions from the odd assault are very little so some won´t hesitate to throw a punch.)
- Buy your booze (if drinking) at ATVR(government off license) on Austurstræti(just walk down Laugavegur, keep walking past the square and it´ll be on your left), it´s only open til 19 on Friday and 18 on Saturday, but you´ll save a lot of money by not drinking from the bar and pubs when possible.
- DON´T, and I really mean this, go to the pubs Monte Carlo or Monako, they are horrible.

Regarding food and restaurants:
- Buy your daily food in "Bonus", which is on Laugavegur or Hallveigarstigur downtown. Then have a nice meal in the evening. You´ll save a lot of money.
- Try vanilla Skyr, not only good but very healthy. Try dried fish. Try shark and brennivín.
- Don´t go to Hard Rock Cafe it is s***
- Have a hamburger at Hamborgarabulla Tomasar on Geirsgata
- Eldsmiðjan have great pizzas, but that is what they´re good at not other food.
- And an absolute must is a Hot Dog with everything at Bæjarins Bestu(Just ask for directions at the above said square).
- Most restaurants downtown are of high quality and it really just depends on what kind of food you´re looking for?

As I said above in the thread if anyone needs any more tips regarding anything to do with their trip don´t hesitate to send me a line or ask here. :)
Last edited by Viking_Hammer on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
Viking_Hammer

Post by Viking_Hammer »

Jedi Al Khalaas wrote:You are the Hype Man !! :lol
I try and do my part :lol:
Doctor Mopp
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Doctor Mopp »

Thanks Viking, I am also coming over for this so that's really helpful!
Patito

Post by Patito »

bubbles500 wrote:City should have had 7 against spurs and that's no exaggeration.Hopefully Slav will see sense and play hart and Adrian.

One in between the sticks and the other as a sweeper?
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

brennivín like
Skyr straight from Men's Health :D
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Nothing like a moral boosting trouncing just before the season starts away to Man Utd :lol:

As others have said Man City have looked on a different planet in the last two games they've played, demolishing Spurs and Real Madrid. It'll be a real test to keep it tight. If we're decent we might draw some confidence from holding them.

Hopefully Lanzini will be back in the lineup to give us a better ability at holding the ball. It's a real shame we've not had Kouyate, Antonio, and Noble not featuring much in preseason. Maybe we'll see Sakho for a bit.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 854 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I really hope we dont take a beating in this one. Generally I tend not to dwell too much on the results in pre-season games, looking more at the overall performance and attitude as more of a barometer. However, give the proximity to the opening game and that is against another Premier League side, the result in this game is of consequence so hopefully we can keep the defiict down or even sneak a morale boosting draw. The fact that we have conceded 5 goals in our last two games is a worry.