PSF: West Ham Utd 0-3 Manchester City (04/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Manchester City: match thread

Post by steps »

Sarfend Hammer wrote:

Doesnt look that injury depleted to me!
Reid, Kouyate, Antonio, Lanzini represents more than a third of our starting 11.( Ignoring Carroll and Sakho because we should. [/quote]

Didn't Sullivan say Sakho is 100% now in that TalkSport interview. Yet he hasn't featured in any of the Pre-season friendlies.

God knows how we'll line-up for Sunday. Probably Hernandez will start with Toni Martinez on the bench.

Our forward options are looking desperately thin again. Imagine if Chica gets injured.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Thats why we need andre gray in. fast strong fit scores goals and skillful ideal sub for chico
martinez as 3rd choice. you cant rely on sakho and carroll

hopefully we can flog sakho to wba 5m but I doubt he will pass any fitness test even ours !
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I saw a few things during this game that gave me grounds for optimism , Arnautovic looks a useful addition and the pair from Man City aren't mugs either .

A defensive plan of sorts was clearly discernible, the fact that Man City unpicked it 3 times was more about one error from Hart , and the brilliance of Man City .Some of their play was extraordinary for pre season .

I suspect the key to our season will be keeping Reid , Ogbonna and Kouyate fit .Rice may be able to fit in for a limited number of games if one of them gets injured or suspended .

One more midfielder and one more striker and we'll have enough for 8th -6th ,probably where we should be in the overall order of things .

As for Iceland, the place grew on me , very nice people and the calmest place on earth I've ever been , not a good place to hold your stag do but probably worth a 5 day break .
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Ogbonna definitely necked half a bottle of whisky before the game.
He'd need a footballers wage to cover the cost.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

sharphammer wrote:On a positive note...two more city goals and i'm quids in....
On an even more positive note, I sold all 120 match scarves and 5 of the ABGSB scarves as well, covered the cost of the trip AND a meal with drinks. The prices in Iceland are not for the faint-hearted. I met a Swiss couple on the bus back to town afterwards, he was a Hammer. He said he didn't think anywhere could be expensive than Switzerland but Iceland won it by a comfortable margin.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

somerset-hammer wrote:Hernandez gives me hope.
'Hope' you're a West Ham fan ffs, you're not allowed hope.

Blind optimism is fine. :scarfer:
flaneur
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by flaneur »

steps wrote: My next door neighbour is a devout Arsenal fan. He had a good laugh a few weeks ago when I told him we've employed their old fitness coach Gary Lewin, and then said "good luck with that."
I agree with the general point about needed to be a fitter team. This is quite noticeable.

Gary Lewin is a highly respected physiotherapist but not a fitness coach. Physiotherapists primarily treat injured players and are not primarily be involved with strength and conditioning. My impression is our injury rates are not spectacularly worse than others, given the raw materials the medical staff work with. They could certainly be improved, starting with who we buy (please no Wilshere).

I'm sure Lewin will be taking a good look at the injury data and be advising the conditioning coaches on injury prevention. As a high proportion of injuries (per unit time) occur in the final 20 minutes of a match as players tire, having good fitness is a prerequisite to minimizing injury rates and this may be one factor behind our injury rates. You'd have to look at the data of when and how injuries occurred and any competent medical team should be doing this.