PSF: West Ham Utd 0-3 Manchester City (04/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Manchester City: match thread

Post by Burnley Hammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:A right back and a young centre back in centre midfield?!
Rice has frequently been used as a Defensive Midfielder.

Zabaleta has played there for city - and done a very good job.

In the absence of any proper options (Noble and Kouyate injured), it's the best I can do - and besides, I'm more than happy with Byram at right back. In fact, out of those 3, the one I'm least convinced about as a disciplined defensive midfielder is Obiang.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Rice has played there twice?

What about Fernandes?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Rice has played there quite a number of times for the Dev team too a believe. I don't think the role is unfamiliar to him.

Fernandes is weak defensively. I've always seen him as part of the attacking three
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Re: West Ham vs. Man City(Iceland)

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: He can in a friendly.
bit disappointed i only caught one
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Rice has played there quite a number of times for the Dev team too a believe. I don't think the role is unfamiliar to him.
For what it's worth...

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... en-bit-mad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Now I have played in midfield in two games I have started to feel a lot more comfortable there. Obviously, centre-back is my favourite position but it is good that I can play in both roles.
Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Algarve Hammer »

Just in case people are unsure of the kick off time, it would appear it's 3pm UK time.
I've seen many different KO times advertised, 17.30 according to the home page on this site, but Eurosport 1 have it listed as 15.00.
I hope the travelling fans enjoy it and have a safe trip, the rest of us just have to bunk off Friday lunchtime. :thup:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

What's the deal with Winston - is there a ban when you get sent off in a beach footie game like that?

Bloke gets more fired up for these friendlies than the big show - was exactly a year ago he was calling the guy that knobbled Cresswell a c**t and being held back from nutting him.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Lanzini is out for this one too, right? I see people including him in the starting line up
Udonhammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Udonhammer »

I doubt a pasting in this .city will want us to take points from manure and will know that a demoralising defeat may not be the best way of acheaving that... he says .... tongue firmly in cheek
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Lostcoco wrote:5-1 thrashing so we finally realize we need a DM :lol:

And not Defenders??
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

hammerman11 wrote:Hart
zabaleta reid ogbonna masuaka
byram noble lanzini obiang arnautovic
hernandez

plenty of subs at half time.

pray we dont get stuffed

I just pray no one gets injured. The results (good or bad) are neither here nor there in pre season for me. Just no wording injuries ta, footballing God's!
traxop

Post by traxop »

Aceface wrote:What's the deal with Winston - is there a ban when you get sent off in a beach footie game like that?
I'm sure red cards in preseason friendlies are meaningless. Didn't Antonio Valencia get a red in one of Man. Utd's earlier preseason games? Apparently the ref that call the red offered Mourinho the option to 'sub' Valencia off but Jose decided to continue playing with 10 instead. Pretty sure Valencia featured in their next game.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Colours never run wrote:
And not Defenders??
We need both, none of our defenders, even Reid, are as good as some on here believe they are
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

the objectives for this game are no injuries and avoid a thrashing.
wife is a city fan so expecting a tense night after the match !

Chico,reid and arnie need a 45 min run out.

martinez to play whole game

1-0 hammers chico first goal and hart motm
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

hammerman11 wrote:the objectives for this game are no injuries and avoid a thrashing.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Actually looking forward to watch city play,think they could be a thing of beauty this season.Still Bernardo silva to drop in this team as well and think gundagin is still out.Hope Phil Foden plays looks a crazy talent at17.Expect Slav to go as defensive as he possibly can ,actually great little defensive practice for next weekend,if we can contain this lot next weekend be no problem.looking at city squad Delph stands out like a sore thumb Surely be on his way this summer,would be a solid CM option.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Puff Daddy wrote:
We need both, none of our defenders, even Reid, are as good as some on here believe they are

Seeing as you seem to know better than the rest of us mere mortals, please tell us how good they actually are so that we are aware.
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

As per the norm with this club I've gone from completely dreading the game, to massively excited.

We're going to win and all of a sudden think we're in with a shot for European football this year.

:scarfer:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

reid is our best defender. its who is next to him that is the concern
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

norse wrote:Lanzini is out for this one too, right? I see people including him in the starting line up
He is out:
Matchday squads

West Ham United: Hart, Adrian, Zabaleta, Byram, Masuaku, Fonte, Collins, Ogbonna, Rice, Obiang, Makasi, Noble, Fernandes, Snodgrass, Arnautovic, Holland, Ayew, Chicharito, Martinez

Manchester City: Ederson, Grimshaw, Muric, Walker, Danilo, Kompany, Stones, Sterling, Aguero, Mangala, De Bruyne, Sane, Silva, Bernardo, Fernandinho, Roberts, Otamendi, Jesus, Zinchenko, Toure, Adarabioyo, Diaz, Foden

Team news

West Ham United will take a slimmed-down squad to Reykjavik, having allowed a number of players to travel home direct from the Club's pre-season tour of Germany. Aaron Cresswell and Manuel Lanzini have minor issues and Winston Reid is suspended, Diafra Sakho will continue his return from back surgery, while young goalkeeper Rihards Matrevics has been released from first-team duty. Sakho and Reid are expected to feature for the U23s in a behind-closed-doors match on Saturday. Sofiane Feghouli, Andy Carroll and Michail Antonio are back in England. Mark Noble is expected to return from a toe injury.
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... -need-know" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;