PSF: West Ham Utd 0-3 Manchester City (04/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Manchester City: match thread

Post by Aztec Hammer »

One man team. Lanzini.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

My heart sank as soon as I saw the team sheet with Fonte and Ogbonna at the heart of our defence. One of the worst pairings we could cobble together at the minute.

I really do believe we need 1genuine quality commanding Centre Half. None like Fonte or Ogbonna ta.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Rasp wrote:Great run out for the lads, not bothered about the scoreline, Byrum and Rice both had good games.
Oi sully get off our forum
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Fingers crossed on Arnautovic.
aitchayell
Total likes: 1 like

Post by aitchayell »

I know that he has his backers but I just don't see what Fernandes brings to the team. He is ineffectual wherever he pops up. He plays without any confidence or conviction.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1519 likes
Total likes: 3183 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Rice looked very good

Ayew is a clearly a very good footballer

Hernandez can clearly play as a lone forward and battle

Hart made some good saves.

That's your positives, everyone else looked shocking. I understand we have numerous injuries, but that happens and it's clear we need a couple extra players brought in so that we have a squad
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Rasp wrote:Great run out for the lads, not bothered about the scoreline, Byrum and Rice both had good games.
Why was it great when one of our players got injured and a fellow PL team looked much fitter than us?

Even if you take the 'the scoreline in friendlies doesn't matter' line, it's still a crap outcome.m
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

I know it is a friendly but that was a very poor performance along with the two in Germany.I am concerned Bilic has not addressed problems from last season in terms of poor defending,a slow ponderous midfield devoid of pace and creativity and a lacklustre forward line.Bilic needs to up his game big time if he wants to stay as manager.I personally do not rate him.How a class centre back as Bilic was can not seem to organise a team to defend is baffling.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 521 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Mosterhammer wrote:This was a bad idea from the begining.. I understand that we try to defend with a bit of caution since we will be pegged back by United, but why can't we work hard? And tackle? We are like cones jogging about! Shamefull and another clear indication that our manager is ****.
Agreed.

Can't understand the people who say Bilic 'gets us'
Organising your team to be so unfit/can't tackle/can't defend/no energy/no idea - is that what he thinks we want?
I think we should expect better, the players are not bad players.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

To me, the concern is the midfield. We simply haven't been upgrading in the centre, and by losing Nordveit, we are already down a player who can play CM, without a replacement.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Nothing in central midfield. Nothing in defence. Goalkeeper is going to chocolate wrist goals to rebounds all year long whilst screaming at everyone like the most annoying kid in the sixth form football team. Very little on the wings and creatively thought not too worried because we were without Lanzini and Antonio.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1519 likes
Total likes: 3183 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Not digging out the manager in pre-season, absolutely pointless.
sharphammer

Post by sharphammer »

Het-Field wrote:by losing Nordveit, we are already down a player who can play CM.
that's debatable mate
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Rasp »

The negativity on here is mind boggling.
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

Was baby sitting my nephew this afternoon and only got score updates. I will attempt to read through this thread but if anyone wants to give me a paragraph summary I wouldn't be unappreciated. I can't imagine it was particularly good. And though I don't put much stock in friendly results, im struggling to work out who thought paying Man City was a good idea....
faubert93
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by faubert93 »

No creativity without Lanzini.
No counter attacking pace without Antonio.
No solidity in defense without Reid.
No legs in midfield without Kouyate.

We've just played a team work 10x our squad but that is no excuse for the lack of grit and determination.

Fonte is useless.
Arni now looking like he is injured. (sigh)
Obiang the only midfielder who is fit enough to stay with the pace of the game.

The Positives?

Masuaku and Ayew and Hernandez actually look like they have played football before.
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Clueless. New players, same old predictable, boring, one dimensional Bilic tactics. Rice the only positive. Was solid, had some ideas and looked like he was trying, unlike most of the others. I'd like to see the stats, I think we had 1 attempt at goal and no more than 30% of possession. A lot of work to do and I'm not sure Bilic is the man to do it.
Last edited by Hamburger on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
traxop

Post by traxop »

You can just tell from his close control and touches that Chicarito is a different class.

Got to say, Rice does look very impressive. He's been able to spot and find the free man out wide on several occasions. Those are the kind of passes that relieves the pressure and starts our attacks.

Hoping Ogbonna is just taking it easy because it's a preseason friendly otherwise whomever is partnering with him in central defence is going to be royally screwed.
Last edited by traxop on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Alfiehammer wrote:Was baby sitting my nephew this afternoon and only got score updates. I will attempt to read through this thread but if anyone wants to give me a paragraph summary I wouldn't be unappreciated. I can't imagine it was particularly good. And though I don't put much stock in friendly results, im struggling to work out who thought paying Man City was a good idea....
It was a poorly thought out pre season game against a much better side/squad. A few players looked good in spells, too many looked undercooked. Season starts next weekend.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Wilko1304 wrote:Rice looked very good

Ayew is a clearly a very good footballer

Hernandez can clearly play as a lone forward and battle

Hart made some good saves.

That's your positives, everyone else looked shocking. I understand we have numerous injuries, but that happens and it's clear we need a couple extra players brought in so that we have a squad

Pretty much agree with most of that.

I'm also still not convinced by playing 4231 as we look so disjointed everytime we play it and not solid ad compact like we can be playing 3 at the back. Unless we clear out some centre halves and replace them with real quality, its almost pointless keep preserving with this formation as we always get carved up like a knife through butter, regardless of who plays in midfield.