Manchester Utd 4-0 West Ham Utd (13/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

CRFC Hammer
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Re: Manchester United vs West Ham United match thread

Post by CRFC Hammer »

Souness kept making the point that some teams are more 'ready' come the opening day. For me, it was clear that our fitness levels were nowhere near that of the opposition. When you consider the level and intensity of pre season games that Man Utd had played compared to us, it's no wonder that we were 2nd best in all departments yesterday.
As others have said, our season won't be defined by our results against the top 6 but I want to go into those games feeling that we have a chance of upsetting the big boys, not starting off in damage limitation mode.
Anyway, onwards and upwards, hopefully more selection options for Slav on Saturday and a pulsating 0-0 draw. :scarfer:
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

The Sherriff wrote:Was lucky to be on the 10:20 from Euston which got in on time, train going up was mobbed.

Thought we did alright until the first went in then our heads dropped. Game plan went out of the window.

Particularly disappointing was the lack of fight and belief. Very poor start to the season
I've noticed a bit of a pattern with us. As soon as the game settles down a bit and we start to play, we generally concede soon after. We start rolling it around the defence and into midfield and just seem to lose concentration. It's like we are happy that we've seen out the first 10-15 and then we switch off.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Lostcoco wrote:If after 2-0 we shut up shop and Bilic just bought on defenders instead of attackers and the game stayed at 2-0 it wouldnt look nearly as bad as it did
To be fair to Bilic, BFS used to get absolutely slated for doing exactly that. We were always crying out for us to just have a go.

I just think we are trying to have a go, but the players aren't fit enough or good enough to do it against the bigger teams. I said it a few weeks ago, but Arnie, Noble, Ayew, Zaba, Carroll, Martinez, Collins, Fonte, Snodgrass, Masuaku, Fernandes are all either too slow, too unfit or too lazy/casual. You can get away with 1 or maybe 2 at a push, but we had 6 yesterday.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Declan Rice, the only positive outcome of the day. Looked confident on the ball, reminded me of Scott Parker, always wanting the ball to feet.

Hope to see a lot more of him this season.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Rice looked like our best midfielder which says alot really...
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Beavis Danzig wrote: except the free kick, all their goals came through the middle. usually playing through winston reid (assuming he hasn't already charged out and vacated the space).
Okay fine, but we continue to invite sustained pressure in exposed areas such as the wide positions due to the lack of protection our formation gives our "full backs". It happened all of last season, it surrenders the upper hand to any opposition that targets those weak areas.
The fact that we don't concede ALL of our goals through this area is an anomaly, the die is already cast, the opposition has our number and waits for us to break apart and chase the game !

Shocking tactical awareness from a highly paid manager !
Whufc06
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 368 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

I thought our players looked scared to put in a strong tackle, we were physically intimidated all over the pitch.
S-H
Has liked: 5725 likes
Total likes: 9642 likes

Post by S-H »

Seemed at times that Hernandez was the only player who wanted the ball.

Everyone else couldnt wait to get rid of it.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Winston Reid looked like he wanted to be as far away from Lukaku as possible
Ozza
Has liked: 947 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Ozza »

The Gibbins wrote:Winston Reid looked like he wanted to be as far away from Lukaku as possible
Lukaku loves Reid, the feeling isn't mutual
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

somerset-hammer wrote:Seemed at times that Hernandez was the only player who wanted the ball.

Everyone else couldnt wait to get rid of it.
He was our best DM yesterday.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Rice was pleasing on the eye but he got done by Pogba's movement for the fourth goal. He'll learn from it.

Thought Noble was unlucky to be taken off and we lost all leadership after that.

Zabaleta looks an upgrade, he wont be up against Rashford every week.

I'll forgive Arnautovic his deliveries but I thought our game plan would have been to get him on the ball more often?

Not sure I would blame Hart for any of those goals, Pogba really spanked in that last one.

Have to say I thought Man U looked really good, but the last five minutes felt like an unnecessary capitulation rather than getting beat whilst having a go. I'm not too worried, yet.
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

The biggest issue yesterday was pace....again! No Antonio, no one to worry Utd's back line and stretch the game. It means we are forever camped in our own half, literally waiting for the opposition to score.
Ozza
Has liked: 947 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Ozza »

southendmadhammer wrote:The biggest issue yesterday was pace....again! No Antonio, no one to worry Utd's back line and stretch the game. It means we are forever camped in our own half, literally waiting for the opposition to score.
Ayew just doesn't do it for me, can't wait for Iron Mike to be back
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 760 likes

Post by Chavs »

Whufc06 wrote:I thought our players looked scared to put in a strong tackle, we were physically intimidated all over the pitch.

There was a spell in the first half where we put in 5 strong tackles in a row????

There was no intimidation they are just better than us!
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

I8CHAVS wrote:
There was a spell in the first half where we put in 5 strong tackles in a row????

There was no intimidation they are just better than us!
That got the biggest roar from the away end all day
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 4252 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Manchester United committed 19 fouls in this game - the highest by any team in the league over the weekend.
Aceface
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 1444 likes

Post by Aceface »

Rice is going to annoy a few players with his constant pointing at his feet when he wants to receive the ball. Make yourself available and they'll find you.
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

Nearly all the team were poor yesterday, although Mourinho does look like he's got a very good team on his hands. Noble tried, wasn't the worse, but didn't do anything particularly brilliant either, I don't really get the slating of him on here. He was still the best of that midfield 3. Obiang's worse game for us so far, incredibly sloppy in posession, but I don't think that'll be a regular occurence. Never got the hype around Masuaku, nowhere near as good as Cresswell when they are both fit, runs down blind alleys and has far too many lapses in concentration, not particularly good at crossing either. Makes up for this by being quicker than most, but gets severely exposed when he's played against a team that stretches us due to his poor positioning.

Not too worried, yeah it pee'd me off, but I'd rather start the season with a performance like that than end it. Next couple of games we should be better, fingers crossed 6 points from 3 games.
JibHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by JibHammer »

One of the key issues for us, and has been for ages, is this playing a solo striker. It can work, but we completely isolate our outlet.

When you see the better teams who can play a 4-3-3, or 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1, the striker is usually being supported by the wide players, or the player in behind, meaning they can get into those dangerous positions, or they're able to come short, drag a CB out of position and potentially play in the overlapping players.

Yesterday it was clear to see Hernandez' frustrations, having to come deep in his own half at times to get the ball, or running the channels to deliver the ball to no one. I really can't see us scoring many, even with a top player up front. It's difficult to score with no service.

In regards to just yesterday, I feel like we flattered Man United, didn't think they were all that special, we just weren't very good. Pedro had an awful game, Masuaku also was dreadful, Ayew seems somewhat pointless most of the time, and unfortunately I think with Kouyate, Pedro and Lanzini fit, Noble isn't good enough to start, that being even more the case when Carvalho arrives.

Looking forward to seeing Lanzini back, as someone who can make something tick in midfield, and link up with Little Pea on a similar wavelength.