Manchester Utd 4-0 West Ham Utd (13/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1272 likes

Re: Manchester United vs West Ham United match thread

Post by HammerMan2004 »

bubbles1966 wrote:Manchester United committed 19 fouls in this game - the highest by any team in the league over the weekend.
I'd guess that 17 were on Hernandez.
steviob125
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by steviob125 »

Aceface wrote:Rice is going to annoy a few players with his constant pointing at his feet when he wants to receive the ball.
Modern football

Edit to say: The geezer has to be fishing surely?
Hamburger
Has liked: 848 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Rays Rock wrote:
...... we continue to invite sustained pressure in exposed areas such as the wide positions due to the lack of protection our formation gives our "full backs". It happened all of last season, it surrenders the upper hand to any opposition that targets those weak areas.
The fact that we don't concede ALL of our goals through this area is an anomaly, the die is already cast, the opposition has our number and waits for us to break apart and chase the game !

Shocking tactical awareness from a highly paid manager !
Spot on Rays, I don't get why we back up so much and invite teams on. At one point a Man U player picked the ball up near his own box and strolled it through to near ours without a single challenge. We have to get stuck into them higher up not allow teams easy paths forward.

It seems shape and tactics same as last year, Bilic too one dimensional and players already look frustrated that they can't contain or break down with those tactics & coaching. Yes it's the first game and yes they're a good side but we were clueless in all departments and it is not the players who are to blame, they need better tactics & better coaching.
Pokie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pokie »

bubbles1966 wrote:Manchester United committed 19 fouls in this game - the highest by any team in the league over the weekend.
But the one foul Lukaku commited on 7 Mins went unpunished?

can somebody please watch this back and watch what he did off the ball around the 7 minute mark?

This would surely have been a red card
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 260 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Considering how little time we had the ball, that is a pretty shocking statistic.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3635 likes
Total likes: 2319 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

HammerMan2004 wrote: I'd guess that 17 were on Hernandez.
Hacked him to bits didn't they?

Having slept on it Cheech's battling performance was probably my most positive takeaway from that shitshow. Wasn't 100% convinced about him as a lone striker but he plays bigger than he looks. Shields it well, good jump on him, decent strength, doesn't get bullied. Gonna be fine. :thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

They were kicking lumps out of Hernandez, Matic in particular committed several fouls that might have been yellows that weren't carded.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

At no point did we look like winning yesterday , and once they got the second a draw seemed beyond us .

All 4 summer signings started, by the time the reinforcements arrive three league games will have gone by , and the season effectively all about mid table mediocrity .

Slaven needs to chuck everything he has got at the league cup , everything , hold nothing back .
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 2343 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Posted on the Bilic thread but i think more pertinent here

Some people seem to be suggesting we let in 4 because we went all 'gung-ho' at 2-0. We certainly didn't. We brought on an additional striker but hardly created a chance, or got men forward.
We let in 4 because the players don't have much fight and gave up. It is tactical / motivational weakness to let in goals in clusters like we did numerous times last season.

For the first goal, Obiang gave the ball away but we were not over committed. We still had plenty of men back but defended absymally. Defensive players really should be better prepared to defend against a counter attack - we simply cannot do it (watch our embarrassing efforts to stop the breakaway against chelsea at home last season)

For the 2nd goal, it was absymal organisation at a corner, allowing their star striker a free header

to be honest i can't remember the 3rd goal, but the 4th goal was not about over committing. Again it was about rank awful defending, organisation and effort

At no stage did we make any real effort to win that game (which would have at least excused a drubbing), but still lost 4-0!

We are still, by far, the most disorganised team in the top flight
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

sendô wrote:They were kicking lumps out of Hernandez, Matic in particular committed several fouls that might have been yellows that weren't carded.
Kante, Wanyama, Can, do it every week but never get booked or sent off, just dreadful refs/big club bias
B'WoodBob

Post by B'WoodBob »

the pink palermo wrote:
Slaven needs to chuck everything he has got at the league cup , everything , hold nothing back .
I agree Pink, we really need to make home advantage count....
daveo
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by daveo »

the pink palermo wrote:At no point did we look like winning yesterday , and once they got the second a draw seemed beyond us .

All 4 summer signings started, by the time the reinforcements arrive three league games will have gone by , and the season effectively all about mid table mediocrity .

So because we lost one game heavily to probably the second best team in the Prem away from home we can write off a top 8 finish and settle for meandering in mid table?

We've no chance of points at Soton and Newc then?

Talk about a knee jerk reaction!!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:rank awful defending
It's deja vu all over again.

How many defenders have we signed? What's our defensive coach doing?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

daveo wrote: So because we lost one game heavily to probably the second best team in the Prem away from home we can write off a top 8 finish and settle for meandering in mid table?

Nothing knee jerk about it .

It's my rational assessment based upon what I have been watching for a year or so .It's my opinion based upon some hard data relating to GD and European qualification .It's what I believe based upon how tough a league this is when you fall behind .

I estimated 4 points from the first 6 games based upon what I had seen pre season , signings made and whether I could see a discernible game plan .

It's an assessment borne out of observing the current owners M.O. in Managers contract discussions .

Slaven needs a good showing in the league cup because if he leaves it any later the owners will have already made their call on his future in January .

A mid table, negative GD 9th place finish will not see him get a new deal next year .Toss in a league cup , it might be enough .

So, nothing knee jerk, just rational thought .
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Ozza »

Pinky do you think these owners will give him a contract if we do well, not sure I do?
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Hamburger wrote:
Spot on Rays, I don't get why we back up so much and invite teams on. At one point a Man U player picked the ball up near his own box and strolled it through to near ours without a single challenge. We have to get stuck into them higher up not allow teams easy paths forward.
We back off because we are slow and the midfield doesn't have the energy to press. To press high up the pitch, the whole team has to be able to do it. As soon as we did press, Matic just put a ball over the top and they were in.

Something is wrong, whether it's desire, fitness or concentration we are just too easy to get at. It's so simple.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

the pink palermo wrote:All 4 summer signings started, by the time the reinforcements arrive three league games will have gone by , and the season effectively all about mid table mediocrity.
we didn't really need the latest game to forecast that...

three bad games in a row will affect the rest of the season, sure, but there is a reason if you play the first three games poorly, and it is likely to be that the team is a bit ****.
you don't make your season in the first three games.

anyway, onto soton, our first save-our-season game! :scarfer:
Last edited by warp on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveo
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by daveo »

So because we lost one game heavily to probably the second best team in the Prem away from home we can write off a top 8 finish and settle for meandering in mid table?

the pink palermo wrote: Nothing knee jerk about it .

It's my rational assessment based upon what I have been watching for a year or so .It's my opinion based upon some hard data relating to GD and European qualification .It's what I believe based upon how tough a league this is when you fall behind .

I estimated 4 points from the first 6 games based upon what I had seen pre season , signings made and whether I could see a discernible game plan .

It's an assessment borne out of observing the current owners M.O. in Managers contract discussions .

Slaven needs a good showing in the league cup because if he leaves it any later the owners will have already made their call on his future in January .

A mid table, negative GD 9th place finish will not see him get a new deal next year .Toss in a league cup , it might be enough .

So, nothing knee jerk, just rational thought .
With respect your "rational assessment" completely fails to factor in that we have virtually half a starting eleven of new signings (incl Carvalho) compared to last season who need at least a little time to bed in, not to mention that our 2 best players IMO (Lanz and Antonio) didn't play at Man Utd.

Its virtually impossible to judge how a season will develop when a first choice eleven hasn't taken to the pitch yet.

Are Palace destined for a relegation fight after 0-3 at home to Hudd? Chelsea resigned to 5th place at best after 2-3 v Burnley?

That said, I agree that with the squad investment (incl Carvalho and a probable Snodgrass replacement) we should expect 8th place in the Prem as I believe our squad is now superior to all but the big 6 teams plus probably Everton.

So a mediocre 9th without at least say a semi final of a Cup would be classed as failure in my book and lead to us moving on from Bilic
Last edited by the pink palermo on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sorted out your quoting
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 734 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

if pressed into finding a silver lining, it's that what problems we have were exposed in a way that can't be hand-waved by excuses about their quality and us being understrength. at 2-0 that would've been tempting to keep morale up going into next week, at 4-0 it's a shot across the bow of every player's assumed place in the XI.

i'm writing off goal difference in the hope that one of slav's suicide setups at some point this season grabs us a point which makes the whole thing moot anyway.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Chelsea lost 3-0 at the Emirates at the start of last season.

I still believe.