Manchester Utd 4-0 West Ham Utd (13/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1272 likes

Re: Manchester United vs West Ham United match thread

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Andy.C wrote:My mates a united season ticket holder and he said that's the best they have played for two years
He's not wrong, it was the best they've played. Matic and Lukaku made sure of that. There's a reason they cost Man Utd £130million. They were the missing pieces of the puzzle.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Andy.C wrote:My mates a united season ticket holder and he said that's the best they have played for two years

I don't see them that regularly, but it certainly looked miles better than the other times I have seen them. in particular, selling them Matic was a choice Chelsea may well rue.

That said I couldn't believe how Phil Jones was getting away with murder (and to an extent Matic too). A less lenient ref might have seen a somewhat different game.
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 245 likes

Post by steps »

Lukaku and Matic made ESPN's Premier League team of the week.

Just to reiterate, Old Trafford away is a total ba*tard of a first game for us.

Last season it was Stamford Bridge, season before the Emirates.

Fully expect us to draw one of these lot in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, away of course.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

"Lukaku and Matic made ESPN's Premier League team of the week.

Just to reiterate, Old Trafford away is a total ba*tard of a first game for us.

Last season it was Stamford Bridge, season before the Emirates"

This...........

Which makes some on the posts on this thread utterly laughable.......
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2775 likes
Total likes: 602 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

the pink palermo wrote:At no point did we look like winning yesterday , and once they got the second a draw seemed beyond us .

All 4 summer signings started, by the time the reinforcements arrive three league games will have gone by , and the season effectively all about mid table mediocrity .

Slaven needs to chuck everything he has got at the league cup , everything , hold nothing back .
And according to the 'experts' on Radio 5 on the way up there yesterday, the 4 players we signed were Slav's top transfer target during the summer.
The journey back to Leicester, avoiding the M6 altogether wasn't helped by the muppet on 606 creaming himself saying "that's what all football fans have been waiting to see, Man Utd back to their attacking best". No mention of the fact that we offered virtually nothing but if the 'experts' are happy all's good. :thdn:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Hammer.CA wrote:
And according to the 'experts' on Radio 5 on the way up there yesterday, the 4 players we signed were Slav's top transfer target during the summer.
The journey back to Leicester, avoiding the M6 altogether wasn't helped by the muppet on 606 creaming himself saying "that's what all football fans have been waiting to see, Man Utd back to their attacking best". No mention of the fact that we offered virtually nothing but if the 'experts' are happy all's good. :thdn:

...and presumably not a mention made that their task was made all the easier by a team full of players who cannot master the basic skills of the game, like receive a pass from a colleague, control a moving ball, shake off an opponent, without conceding possession and lay it off to a colleague who has made space for himself to receive a pass. It really does make me wonder just what we do in training ? because I don't think we practice that
mike1961
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by mike1961 »

what the dickens wrote:Did anyone notice how the players did not come over and acknowledge the support at the final whistle ?
Only two did. I thought perhaps the rest were ashamed.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Would have played byram instead of sure yesterday. However we stunk the place out and the rest is history. I blame the Players before the mananger. We had a couple of real bottle jobs on display yesterday
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

Individually some of the Manchester United players put in performances that would have made it difficult for most teams but what was disappointing was how little trouble we caused them at the back because I don't think they are that great there.

What concerns me is that we sign good players and do not play to their strengths instead put them in formations where we would have been better off buying lesser players but ones that actually are far more comfortable with the way we play. It seems we sign names above profiling the player we need in the team and going out and buying a player that fits the profile.

Also with Carroll out of the side we struggle defending set pieces, because his remit is simply to defend the ball while others defend players in his absence no one seems to be defending the ball and if someone loses their marker they get a free header as ball floats over unchallenged, this has happened a lot in pre-season so yesterday wasn't an isolated incident.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 260 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Dwight1970 wrote:
Also with Carroll out of the side we struggle defending set pieces, because his remit is simply to defend the ball while others defend players in his absence no one seems to be defending the ball and if someone loses their marker they get a free header as ball floats over unchallenged, this has happened a lot in pre-season so yesterday wasn't an isolated incident.
This was exactly what I thought especially after their second goal. Without Carroll and Kouyate, we are quite a small side and it is going to make it difficult to defend set pieces when the oppo send their big defenders up.
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

I am a bit surprised by some suddenly thinking Arthur and Ayew are a waste of time. Arthur is half decent going forward but really can't defend to save his life. This was again borne out yesterday. Ayew hasn't really impressed me since day1.Gets into some decent positions but is hardly a lethal finisher. Reminds me of Valencia in some ways.

Both are probably subs at best
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 4251 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ayew is Nolan.

He's one of the blokes people sit there saying, "well, what does he do?" - and then at the end of the season he's got 12-15 goals and assists while all the sexy players have f*** all.

They play the game in their brain, and that's why they always seem to get the six yard tap in - their skill is their reading, positioning and anticipation.

We had one decent move yesterday, when Ayew threaded the ball to Noble in a 1-2 - unfortunately Fernandes got in Ayew's way and hit a shot straight at De Gea.
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

I'm not going to pretend it wasn't bad. It was. Ad I don't want to make ecuses but I will.

We picked a decent 11 plus one decent attacker on the bench. We need more luck with injuries and we need a striker and a winger, yesterday. We cam up against a decent side who might win the league.

I don't think we were that bad. We were thoroughly outplayed, yes, but that can happen away at a better side (see Man U vs Real Madrid 5 days before our game). But for one small mistake we could have gone into the last 10 still in the game, and then anything can happen. The margins are so fine, only most weeks the dds won't be so heavily stacked against us.

I try to be positive, I also try not to knee-jerk at every performance.
IanBishopLegend7

Post by IanBishopLegend7 »

bubbles1966 wrote:Ayew is Nolan.

He's one of the blokes people sit there saying, "well, what does he do?" - and then at the end of the season he's got 12-15 goals and assists while all the sexy players have **** all.

They play the game in their brain, and that's why they always seem to get the six yard tap in - their skill is their reading, positioning and anticipation.

We had one decent move yesterday, when Ayew threaded the ball to Noble in a 1-2 - unfortunately Fernandes got in Ayew's way and hit a shot straight at De Gea.
Thank God we never had to watch Nolan on the left wing!

I would play Ayew, on the right of a diamond, behind Hernandez. He can link up play through the middle and on the right.

I would also like to see what he does in his original position of left wing again. He is left footed after al!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Having watched the game again without so much distraction in the booze, Noble stood out head and shoulders above anyone else on the park for us. He was back to his best and was our best player before he was wrongly taken off. Bilic really did have a brain fart moment if Noble wasn't carrying a knock which would explain his puzzled expression on his face when asked to be subbed.

If anyone's in doubt, please do watch the match again and watch Noble like a hawk. He got through a shed load of work and most of it was of real quality. Key blocks, tackles, passes, interceptions, the lot.

Hopefully he can keep his form up if that's what we can expect of him this season which is reminiscent of the Boleyn season (and on a big pitch contrary to a belief that he struggles).

As a slight aside, I've never understood why we never sing the He's every ****ing where song for Noble as it's made for him but there you go. The 1 song he has just fizzles out so people rarely bother singing it.

As for Masuaku and Obiang, they both stunk the place out. Really poor performances by them.

The little Hernandez had of the ball, he oozed class. He's such a responsible mature player, always protecting the ball and riding an incoming foul, then passes and moves as good as any top Striker does. Not that I'm surprised but he really is the real deal and a joy to watch. Even off the ball he's intelligent intelligent as f*** with the runs he makes. Noble found him a few times too and liked how they linked up. They're on the same wavelength.
hongkonghammer

Post by hongkonghammer »

well said CNR. The only addition I would add is Rice looked decent when he came on considering his age, the occasion and the opposition. Very assured and confident performance, constantly making himself available to receive the ball and distributing it sensible and with purpose. Looks like a player in the making.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

On reflection:

They beat us because they are a better side than us.

They beat us 4-0 because;
They were fitter, faster, stronger, more committed, better disciplined and more determined than us.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

If Noble's showing is what some now class as a good performance from our central midfield players then we're in trouble. For me he played as he has done for the past season and a half. No better, no worse. Obiang was shocking, there's no doubting that but there aren't too many times I've seen him perform like that.

We were total **** in midfield on Sunday. It was like watching a top tier side take on a League 2. A massive improvement is needed from who ever plays there at St Mary's on Saturday. Personally I wouldn't mind if Rice got a start
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Decent analysis of the game from Monday Night Football Special
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we lost the game in midfield where noble obiang and fernandez were all poor at best and awful at worst. without kouyate in the midfield we have no power to stand up to teams like united.

if noble starts he needs to be in a three with kouyate and carvalho when he joins. personally I see noble as a good sub now and a cup player.

our midfield must surely be carvalho and kouyate with a further three of antonio lanzini and arnautovic

a lot of power pace and skill in that lot

central defence will need to tighten up reid was all over the place and clearly not match fit. ogbonna always looks clumsy and weak. however we have limited alternatives so maybe reid and fonte

we lost to united who will at worst come second this year.

no panic yet !