Southampton 3-2 West Ham Utd (19/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Southampton vs West Ham United match thread

Post by Colours never run »

Crossed Hammers

You and I have clocked it. All about a narrative and so predictable.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Bit of a volatile dickhead that Arnautovic. Let everyone down and I believe the club should impose a further one match ban on top of his FA one, plus a fine of wages as well.

On the whole, a pretty good performance showing a lot of fighting spirit. Let down by a couple of unprofessional moments - typical West Ham own goals.

Fonte is pretty poor - no understanding with Ogbonna at times.

And an unfit tiring Antonio is still worth two or more uninterested Sakho's.

But overall, a good show from being 2-0 down. Hopefully a lot can be gained from this game. Hernandez is like a little thief in the box, and it was good to have Antonio back and strong again.

It might get worse before it gets better, but the signs are it will get better.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

In current form (last season included), Noble has to be dropped. He's the constant in this piss poor midfield we have. Someone mentioned it last week, but he's hit Kevin Nolan levels of ****.

Either his legs have gone and he just can't keep up with play or he's fed up of football and would rather be elsewhere, because he's just not the player he was. He made Steven Davies look quick yesterday.

I made a point of watching him today and he doesn't really do anything. He jogs around looking heavy footed, doesn't really press fully or force a player into a mistake, but just goes towards them. He can t seem to get forward with play anymore and he doesn't dictate the passing like he used to. There was a time where everything went through him and he was pinging balls over the top and in behind, but he just doesn't seem to get involved in the game anymore.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Jumby wrote:
The Tadic challenge not being dealt with properly and then the Lemina elbow being missed sparked that challenge from Noble, no question. The Lemina elbow is what wound Arnie up. If the game is reffed properly neither the Noble or Arnie incidents happen.

Call me biased but, think about it, I'm right, I'm always f**king right :lol:
The elbow on Arnie could have been a yellow for sure but opposing player actions don't excuse Noble and Arnie losing their heads and acting in a way that should have seen them both gone. The game was heated and we were the ones stupid enough to take it that step too far
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Morocco Mole wrote:
Yup. Ayew was poor last week and is never a 10 in a million years. Not in this league anyway. Doesn't show for the ball, doesn't want it centrally. Offers nothing whatsoever without the ball either. A total passenger again today. A midfield three of Obiang, Rice and Noble would've competed far better.
Your opinion mate and I respect it. But personally the thought of a midfield 3 of Obiang, Noble and Rice makes me feel sick :D Awey or Arnie at 10 over Noble any day of the week for me if Lanzini is unavailable
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Our problem was laid bare yesterday - out of our four central defensive players (Fonte, Ogbonna, Noble, and Rice) there were only three attempted tackles all game, and only two of them were successful. Those were both made by Noble. The other attempted one was made by Fonte.

We are crying out for someone, just anyone, who will at least attempt to make a tackle in the middle of the park for us on a regular basis.
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Don't know why but I just watched the highlights again. Ok, Fonte got rinsed for the first goal by Gabbiadini, it happens, mainly shows the signs of an ageing defender. But he had absolutely no need to pull Davis back for the penalty as he'd already made contact with the ball to lift it in the air and Cresswell was coming in to mop it up. He must of had a rush of blood to the head, to me that shows ineptitude.

We might as well go out and spend millions on a defence because if we got overrun in midfield last week we got totally exposed st the back this week.

Not gonna go big on Arnie. I think a number of players could of been sent off yesterday, it just so happens he got caught right in the eyeline of Mason, and Mason wanted to calm the game down because there was some nasty challenges going in. I didn't generally have Southampton down as a dirty team until yesterday.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

YorksHammer wrote:Our problem was laid bare yesterday - out of our four central defensive players (Fonte, Ogbonna, Noble, and Rice) there were only three attempted tackles all game, and only two of them were successful. Those were both made by Noble. The other attempted one was made by Fonte.

We are crying out for someone, just anyone, who will at least attempt to make a tackle in the middle of the park for us on a regular basis.
That is the job for a proper DM and until such time we recruit one, we will continue to lose matches like yesterday's. The good news is, 2 years into his reign, Bilic has finally woken up to the notion we need one
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

YorksHammer wrote: We are crying out for someone, just anyone, who will at least attempt to make a tackle in the middle of the park for us on a regular basis.
We've got one who does just that - problem is that the boss decided to leave him on the bench. Second problem is that we actually need two in tandem given the weakness of support for centre midfield from the likes of Arnie and Ayew, plus the lack of mobility at centre back and full back.
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

DannyboyDJL wrote:In current form (last season included), Noble has to be dropped. He's the constant in this piss poor midfield we have. Someone mentioned it last week, but he's hit Kevin Nolan levels of ****.

Either his legs have gone and he just can't keep up with play or he's fed up of football and would rather be elsewhere, because he's just not the player he was. He made Steven Davies look quick yesterday.

He made Steven Hawking look quick yesterday :lol:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

unlucky to lose after a good comeback.
arnie deserved to go regardless of what had gone on.
Noble should have gone as well. He has lost it and carrying on from last season.
fonte was awful too slow and we should accept that he is a sub at best aas an aging CB. Saints must be laughing at the fee we paid for him. prefer ginge to him

2 games in and onto newcastle hopefully a point at least
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

I see it this way. We have the pace to go forwards however when we commit we don't have the pace to get back behind the ball. Everybody knows that so we get stuck in No mans Land. If or when we commit we know we won't/can't get back which affects us. It happened against Man U last week that we managed to get a break away and by the time we were 30 yards from their goal they had 8 outfield players behind the ball and the goal keeper. When it happens to us we get out numbered. We don't have fast centre backs. We don't have fast centre midfielders (apart from kouyate) we don't have fast full backs (apart from Masuaku who can't really defend) so when we get isolated we don't have the capability to get back behind the ball quick enough and we start scrambling. This also affects us directly after we've been on the end of an attack as we then worry more about defensive positioning than attacking. We can switch from one mind set to the other fast enough. Which results in passes between the defenders then a punt forward.

Fonte can't be played as one of 2 centre backs and Noble can't be played as one of 2 centre midfielders
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

If the time-worn old cliche still has some currency, Hernandez has already paid back 12.5% of his transfer fee. But much more importantly, it already seems as if he can slot into the team ahead/alongside of Antonio and get amongst the goals. That £16M is going to look like some of the best business the present board have done in their time with us.

Not much more needs saying about Iron Mike; what a shot in the arm for the whole team, for him to come back on all cylinders like that. Sure, he was going to tire, but he's practically tattooed his name onto the first eleven team-sheet with that display.

Sadly, we cannot however ignore the realities surrounding the issues thrown up concerning other parts of the team yesterday. If I am being charitable, we might deserve a little moan that, if they got their 2nd penalty, we deserved one for the handball up the other end. The handball, though, was the weakest shout. And it doesn't mask two other failings, namely

1. The penalties we gave away were conceded by experienced, aging players who perhaps did so, because they were worried they couldn't keep up to put in a better challenge.

2. These players now have minimal or no competition for their places.

Given what happened to Reid - an almost textbook WHU foul up, frankly - we face however long into the future with choices from Fonte, Collins and Ogbonna, unless Kouyate is going to get drafted into the backline.

Some of our players deserved a bit more than another defeat yesterday. Not so sure I can say that same about Bilic, his defence, or indeed the people who have assembled this team.

As for Arnautovic, not good enough. Not by a long chalk, so far.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Yates was **** this year , the game so West Ham , best bit of the day meeting Jay 18 yrs old came from Gloucester on his own to watch and support us , great lad it's our future
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I'd stick Rice back in defence or call back Burke, a bit of youthfulness and pace to sit along side a more experienced head might compliment one another.

I suggest that, as I just don't see the owners spending the money on a decent CB.
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Jumby wrote:Charlie Austin is a smug c**t.
He said on sky he was surprised they got the penalty.
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

Finally watching the highlights, Arnoutavic is a t***, stupid challenge.

No way was that a penalty at the end, Zabaleta has to realise that the refs are going to start giving them against him as he's not playing for city anymore.

I know it's only been 2 games but it's starting to look like one of those seasons. Thank god we have Hernandez.

Predictions for the season - relegation scrap ahead
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

DannyboyDJL wrote:
He's not getting any benefit from me. He's had 1 good year in 3 years at Stoke. We've paid him massive wages and paid £25m for him. Every game he's played for us he has a face like a smacked arse and then he's elbowed a young lad in the face in one of the worst, scummy fouls I've seen for a while.

Add to that, he hasn't got a set piece past the first man for 1 and half games. The guy is a fraud.

Bang on the money I am afraid, worse at corners and free kicks than Noble, so why is he still taking them? Ffs
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

2 games in and we lost a thrilling match.
zab`s was a penalty but on another day doesn`t get given

need some pace and protection in the centre.

hopefully smalling and carvalho

we wont buy a second striker as they will go with hernandez martinez and then rely on the two sicknotes with support from ayew and antonio.

if they want to go that way then fine but we need another CB urgently.

get the two above in this week and we will be fine. still fancy us for top 8

its 2 games peoples !
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Carlton'sGoal wrote:
No way was that a penalty at the end, Zabaleta has to realise that the refs are going to start giving them against him as he's not playing for city anymore.
Definite penalty but yea, may have got away with it in a Man City shirt