Newcastle Utd 3-0 West Ham Utd (26/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Corney Beal

Re: Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd : match thread

Post by Corney Beal »

Vince wrote:
I think you'll see Hart doing the same with Rice mate.
Bilic is getting a caning on social media but where was the leadership on the field.?

Yes, my reply messed up, 'submit' vanished and had to cut and paste, missed out Joe Hart, hence ' the only other player'...
Don't normally like keepers having the armband but, Joe Hart for captain.
BenniBlanco

Post by BenniBlanco »

the pink palermo wrote:
I'm not sure the Board will stick with him in the hope we can get a win against the Terriers , but let's not forget they are the idiots that put us in a position of having no home game until September 10th , and they are the fools who continually fail to give Managers the squads they need .

Never mind Bilic , it's Gold and Sullivan that need turfing out .

We're on the road to nowhere .
What manager has got the team they need? That is not the reason we are so ****.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Today has nothing to do with the Stadium, or the owners or any other issue. Bilic started a poor team, with a poor strategy, with a poor mentality. A result like today is the manager's responsibility. Newcastle did very well with what they have, but they are an ordinary team, and they beat us 3-0.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2682 likes
Total likes: 1780 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Not a great day , we're lacking effort and energy in midfield , ok most first teamers were either on the bench or sitting out a suspension but to have so many out so early in the season is a shambles anyway , Lanzini needs a partner , Ayew isn't it - yes , young Rice made a slight error but it was retrievable , our defence was split wide open , we need Reid and either Kouyate or a new strong centre half at the back with Carvalho in front of them and more movement in midfield - where was the urgency ??
Three more players in next week and show you want it .
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

the pink palermo wrote: they are the fools who continually fail to give Managers the squads they need .
Don't normally disagree with you Pinky, but on this I will in part.

Slav apparently gave them four names and we signed them, we also signed Payet, tied down Lanzini to a permanent, brought in Antonio, new contracts for Obiang and Ogbonna I believe, if that's not supporting the manager with the squad........it is Slav picking the side not the Dave's, it is Slav making the substitutions, not the Dave's, it is Slav playing players out of position, not the Dave's....

Jus saying. :thup:
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

bristolhammerfc wrote:

How about you mind your own business.

Saying somethings poor is Ok. Repeatedly saying it instead of adding to the debate is not.

We will do our jobs without any additional help thanks
This needs calling out.

This is a match day thread, people are generally speaking watching or listening to the game primarily and posting here as a secondary activity. There is no time for essay length debate, that can come after the game.

In a game where we perform as bad as we did today, people will make quick to the point, sometimes kneejerk, comments. To me that is what the thread is for, as an outlet.

I think you should chill out and within reason just let things flow at these times. These one liners are just people venting, as they might if they were in the stands. Posts like 'Noble is ****', 'Bilic is clueless' should be OK in the heat of the moment. Sure it adds nothing debate wise, but game time is not the time for debate. Obviously if people start going overboard with language or start getting abusive or personal with each other, then by all means step in, but people should be able to say what they see without warnings and reprisals.

I hope the latter sentence also applies to this post, I realise going after a mod is potential forum suicide, but given I have waited until after the game and after the forum downtime and still feel moved to post, I hope it will be treated with the same common sense to which I refer to above.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Newcastle had something like 37% possession but managed 16 shots!!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Just home after a long day. An insipid performance that has set various alarm bells ringing.

Probably the worst away fan seats anywhere outside of Stratford. What a pony place to watch a game.

As for the team, well it was devoid of shape and that is one relegation back 4. I do have a little laugh reading what a great squad we've got.

Anyway, I'm trying to ignore all the moaners who are calling out for heads. If they can be arsed getting up to games then fair enough, otherwise I just see lots of ****ers on social media. A good example is on the WHTID site where whoever did the match report said he was 'disgusted' listening on the car radio so went for some noodles second half. Who are these c****?

A good relegation scrap will show us who is staunch and who ain't.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I've only seen the highlights on MOTD so I can't really say how bad we really were but---- Bilic said in his column in the Standard the other week that 3 at the back was only plan B. Why? All our best performances last season were played this way. I've been a staunch supporter of Slav but this season he seems to be clueless. Mark Noble appears to be imitating Rooney in fading away before time and this must be addressed sooner rather than later. One final comment, everyone has been quick to dismiss Newcastle as being totally useless. I actually thought they did quite well against Spurs until the idiot got himself sent off, and although it hurts to say it the current Spurs side is quite good. Don't forget Newcastle are managed by the man who lots of our fans want to bring in to replace Bilic, so it's not surprising that he masterminded a great win. 10 goals conceded in 3 games speaks for itself. 3 at the back now!
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Today I am glad I was an armchair fan, although I have not seen any lowlights or heard radio coms so I'm not going to comment of the game other than say what a flipping long slog for our fans after the midweek trip to Cheltenham. You will have to have done it yourself to truly know what a commitment it is. Well done travelling fans, you seem to be about the only positive thing about West Ham at the moment.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Doc H Ball wrote:As for the team, well it was devoid of shape and that is one relegation back 4. I do have a little laugh reading what a great squad we've got.
So you went to the game and you still think it is a lack of quality in our squad that is our problem :lol:

Perhaps you would prefer we had Huddersfield or Brighton's back 4 instead? You might get your wish if we dont do something about the coaching soon.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

ironilunga wrote:
So you went to the game and you still think it is a lack of quality in our squad that is our problem :lol:
Yep, a back 4 of Cresswell (out of form for over a year), Ogbonna (completely disinterested), Collins (championship level now) and Zab (twilight of a career) is a very poor back line. They will get caught out many times and only Reid improves them. We will need to play 3 CH's to compensate, which isn't a good starting place.

Ritchie was easily better than any of our players today with the exception of a 15 minute Antonio spell.

You didn't go and you think our squad is great? Fair 'nuff. If and when Benitez comes do you reckon he'll say 'that lot is good enough for me' or 'I need to buy lots more players'?

I've been to Newcastle about 10 times I think and recall a win when we sent them down and got relegated ourselves and a Stan Lazaridis spectacular. Other than that it has always been as grim as their birds. We had some better squads back then than now for sure.

Ayew? £20m (allegedly). One of our record buys. He'd have been ****ed off for that performance in the old second division with Iain Dowie having a go at him.

Average squad at best presently completely unbalanced. That's true whoever is manager right now.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

It doesn't excuse our performance, but I have a grievance with teh officiating again today.

Just as last week, the ref lets an early 'reducer' on Hernandez go unpunished.
Hernandez shouldn't have made his petulant, late hip-to-hip barge and a yellow card was probably right but the fairly harmless incident was brought to the ref's attention by the fourth official.

So why didn't the fourth official get involved with Mitrovic's late and intentional elbow to the back of Lanzini's head?

Mitrovic then went on to run us ragged and score the third.
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

Het-Field wrote:Today has nothing to do with the Stadium, or the owners or any other issue. Bilic started a poor team, with a poor strategy, with a poor mentality. A result like today is the manager's responsibility. Newcastle did very well with what they have, but they are an ordinary team, and they beat us 3-0.
ooh damn it's hard to argue against the above...
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

We got beat 3-0 it could've of been 5, by an utterly **** side, we made Atsu look ****ing Demblele down that ****ing wing, you stand no chance when you stand Declan ****ing rice and Fernandes
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Het-Field wrote:Today has nothing to do with the Stadium, or the owners or any other issue. Bilic started a poor team, with a poor strategy, with a poor mentality. A result like today is the manager's responsibility. Newcastle did very well with what they have, but they are an ordinary team, and they beat us 3-0.
Exactly. They pressed us high, our midfielders seemed reluctant to take the ball from the back four, and when they did passed it straight back until we were forced to go long.

How Obiang didn't start I don't know. Playing Nobes and Rice is like starting with the same player. sideways, backwards. Obiang looks forward.

Ayew seems lost. Fernandez was absent yesterday, and The Pea must be wondering what the hell he's done. Zero service.

Antonio tried his heart out, but drifted from the game.

Manu didn't really show, and when he did he went sideways and back.

What happened to our pace on the counter?

And while we're at it, sort out the defense Slav

A sad day indeed yesterday.
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

:thup: Absolutely right!
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

Doc H Ball wrote:[Cresswell (out of form for over a year), Ogbonna (completely disinterested), Collins (championship level now) and Zab (twilight of a career) is a very poor back line. Ayew? £20m (allegedly). One of our record buys. He'd have been ****ed off for that performance............
Fonte and Ogbonna are Portuguese and Italian international defenders with double figure caps for their countries. Cresswell is in the England squad. All it would seem are either out of form or not motivated and it would seem they are not the only ones. When does this become a coaching problem????
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

the pink palermo wrote:they are the fools who continually fail to give Managers the squads they need .
Quelle surprise, its the boards fault again :D
ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

Playing an 18 year old screams of desperation to be seen as clever.

One problem was when we had possession, our players were so far apart. There were never any options.The nearest player to the one in possession was usually 20 yards away at the closest.

The goals themselves were again lost possession and absolutely crap positional sense, both with and without the ball.

Obviously we need Reid, Obiang and Kouyate in for Noble and Rice and Lanzini in for Ayew.