West Ham Utd 2-0 Huddersfield Town (11/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

JLP123 wrote:hernandez didn't play on the f***ing wing!

Inside forward.
'Wing' / 'Inside forward' is simply people using different terminology for the same position. We don't play with traditional 'wingers', so no, his role wasn't as a winger, but he was playing in a wide attacking role, with the defensive responsibilities that come with that

Whatever you want to classify the role as, it certainly isn't where he has played all his career, or where he should be being played
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

wildkard wrote:People who boo their own players should be banned for life, from everywhere.
I think that is an extremely well argued point and one which I cannot but agree with.
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by likemydreams »

they'd be about 30k banning orders then after the hernandez subbing
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
'Wing' / 'Inside forward' is simply people using different terminology for the same position. We don't play with traditional 'wingers', so no, his role wasn't as a winger, but he was playing in a wide attacking role, with the defensive responsibilities that come with that

Whatever you want to classify the role as, it certainly isn't where he has played all his career, or where he should be being played
Once six foot two Arnie is back then he can probably lead the line in that formation but we needed wide attackers to help press and a three of Ayew, Hernandez and Antonio would not have worked last night as there was no playmaker in midfield.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Javier Hernandez played left wing so much last night I thought it was Johnny Sissons :scarfer:
Hammertapp
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Hammertapp »

hammer1975 wrote:Anyone else clock that twice in that game Cresswell had to be reminded to go across and take the corner....twice

'Practicing all week boss'
Thought his delivery from corners was decent all game, though. Always put it into an area that gave our forwards a chance to attack it. Corner for the second goal in particular was excellent.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

hammer1975 wrote:Anyone else clock that twice in that game Cresswell had to be reminded to go across and take the corner....twice

'Practicing all week boss'
I was more worried about the dozen times Kouyate had to tell him what position he should be holding or who he should be marking!

Not Kouyate's best game last night, but he was doing plenty of organising in the midfield.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

If and when Noble gets back in to the team it'll be criminal to let him anywhere near set pieces.

Cresswell wasn't perfect last night but none of his deliveries were as groan inducingly awful as Noble's now standard clip straight in to the keepers arms or on to the first defenders head.
Finishing Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Finishing Hammer »

We needed a win. It was never going to be pretty. It was about defending and hoping that our quality in attack would come through. Not how I expected us to score but hey ho.

MOTM - Obiang. Immense effort.
Mentionables:
Reid - the other two CBs played well because Reid was between them, marshalling them.
Zab - I get the strong impression that he is one of those guys that will just put in 100% for whatever team plays for.
Antonio - surprised me with some of his skill. He's been working hard in the off season.

Supporters who boo substitutions - WTF!!!!???? While they are wearing a West Ham shirt they are family. Support them like family.
JLP123

Post by JLP123 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: 'Wing' / 'Inside forward' is simply people using different terminology for the same position. We don't play with traditional 'wingers', so no, his role wasn't as a winger, but he was playing in a wide attacking role, with the defensive responsibilities that come with that

I'd always classed an Inside Forward as taking up place between the corner of the box and 18 yard semi circle. With the 'winger' positioned outside the line of the box. Regardless, and like you said, this isn't his best position either. Just thought some of the criticism on here was slightly off. Another day and his shot would have gone crossbar and in. He's got the intelligence to pop up in the right place from a wide(er) position. IMO Carroll has to start down middle whenever fit. He takes so much pressure off the weak parts of our game. I'm not bothered about silky football as long as we get the points :D
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I feel a bit sorry for a little bit of the stick that some of the decisions that Bilic made is getting today.

In the last three games, we've given away some very silly goals trying t oplay through the middle of midfield. By bringing in Carroll it allowed us to be more direct, to use Kouyate and Obiang as enforcers and to try and help Hernandez and Antonio pick up the scraps from Carrol. We could (and possibly should) have been 2-0 inside of 20 minutes, with Hernandez missing an excellent chance and Kouyate not reading Carroll's cross.

My Dad's a Town fan so I've watched a lot of them this and last year and they are a strong, fit side that do like to bully teams a little. Our side was not getting bullied yesterday and it was the confidence booster we needed.

Bilic is going to have to figure a way to get Lanzini into that side, and the chances are that it will mean losing one of either Fonte or Kouyate. Either way making us a little more susceptible at the back. I think her got the tactics spot on last night thoughh and really, the result was everything. Lose that game though and we woulkd have been in a very tough spot.

I also think that Bilic's interview after the game where he explained his tactics was excellent. Worth a watch if you're not sure why he used Hernandez in the way he did or weren't happy with how we played.
FrankieMacsPerm
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by FrankieMacsPerm »

Enjoyed last night - whilst the football was agricultural at times it was a team working hard for the manager and a game where it was all about the result.

Say what you like about Bilic but when he has to he pulls a result out by hook or by crook.

Obiang's goal came at the right time, the crowd where getting a bit jittery and it was feeding through to the players. Fluke of a goal but who cares, Frank DB would have snapped your hand off for some of that luck. Funny old game football.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Finishing Hammer wrote:
Supporters who boo substitutions - WTF!!!!???? While they are wearing a West Ham shirt they are family. Support them like family.
I wasn't going to mention this, but seen it mentioned a few times now, it was nil nil, in a massive game, and some booed? WTF!?!!? You are a bunch of c**** and please f*** off - I feel better now...
scottyboy71
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by scottyboy71 »

Upminster Hammer wrote:Anyone thy booed the sub last night is a ****.

It does nothing for the players confidence comming on and is just pointless and immature.

If you want to go somewhere to boo and hiss go to a pantomime or go watch billericay.
I think the decision was being booed rather than the individual.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Turns to Stone wrote:
I also think that Bilic's interview after the game where he explained his tactics was excellent. Worth a watch if you're not sure why he used Hernandez in the way he did or weren't happy with how we played.
Have you got a link to it?
It's usually on the front page but I can't see it.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

scottyboy71 wrote:
I think the decision was being booed rather than the individual.
Still wrong though.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

i dont boo anything...im a 41 year old man...
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

regarding hernandez' performance...i really believe we will see the best of him away from home

teams play a higher line at home, will press forward and are likely to leave space behind when they do so...less likely to at our place
scottyboy71
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by scottyboy71 »

[/quote]

Still wrong though.[/quote]

Absolutely agree.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Coops wrote: Have you got a link to it?
It's usually on the front page but I can't see it.
I don't I'm afraid and I'm work at the mo can't find you one. He basically said that due to Huddersfield Town's gegenpressing and midfielders pushing onto you, he brought Carroll in so that defenders and Hart could go front to back much quicker and then get Kouyate, Hernandez and Antonio competing for the second-ball.

It meant that Huddersfield midfieldsers dropped deeper to challenge for the second ball and then that they couldn't break quickly and didn't actually create much.

It was only in the second half when Wagner had his side be a little more patient and come on to us slower that they looked like doing anything. But it then also meant that there was more space at the other end to exploit.

It did mean that we couldn't get the through balls to Hernandez that he likes, but the gameplan looked like it worked to me.