West Bromwich Albion 0-0 West Ham Utd (16/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Re: West Bromwich Albion v West Ham United match thread

Post by Hammer.CA »

Early days and all that but what is it especially that Arnautovic is particularly good at? It certainly isn't taking a man on and beating him on today's cameo appearance.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

IanBishopLegend7 wrote:We were 0.5% better than them.

Exaggerate much feller?
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

JLP123 wrote:I don't think I've ever seen Cresswell use his right foot.

Madness for a pro footballer at this level to be so one footed.

He had two left feet today
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Hell's tits that was dull. What's Pulis'game? It ain't football.No wonder the baggies fans are such muggy dickheads if they have to watch that crap every week.

We weren't much cop either.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Two most expensive players look set to be bench lads, whilst we are back to looking at systems which accommodate Carroll. Not saying we shouldn't, but not saying it's smart either.

Zabaleta is our best defender by a distance so has to play. Considering the amount of ball Fonte gets as the third centre back roaming forward it might make sense for Zaba to play there and Antonio wide right. Could limit them both but may have to do it as Lanzini is the heartbeat of the side and has to play.

Don't like seeing Hernandez out there but it's for the good of the team at the moment and there are good little moments where he gets near Carroll.

I would question whether he would be looking a bit better if we were getting any quality delivery in, and may also find more space against teams who actually attack (like we saw when Foster tried to kill him).
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

I don't think either keeper made a save. Very poor of West Brom to settle for point at home. Talking to some West Brom fans on train back to London they said they're like that every week. They thought Foster should have been sent off.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Defensively we didn't put a foot wrong which was great to see after being all over the place, and the back line needed that going into next week's match against quality opposition.

But there are some people who seriously need to up their game. Cresswell and his deliveries today were abysmal, Arnautovic taking every opportunity to go down holding whatever has brushed him and not making the right decision whether to pass or cross a ball first time. And also Hernandez, I'm sorry but he hasn't been very good so far. His performance today was pretty much non existent. Carroll and Antonio were the only attackers to do what was asked of them.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Edited by a moderator

Fishing and trolling as usual
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

hammers92 wrote:
But there are some people who seriously need to up their game. Cresswell and his deliveries today were abysmal, Arnautovic taking every opportunity to go down holding whatever has brushed him and not making the right decision whether to pass or cross a ball first time. And also Hernandez, I'm sorry but he hasn't been very good so far. His performance today was pretty much non existent. Carroll and Antonio were the only attackers to do what was asked of them.

Cresswell is, and will never be a wingback. Nor is zabaleta. They add very very little going forward
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Cresswell is, and will never be a wingback. Nor is zabaleta. They add very very little going forward
Didn't you post that you hadn't even seen the game?
Crouchend_Hammer

I haven't seen the game. I said 'they add', not 'they added'.

That doesn't mean I can't have an opinion of Cresswell or Zabaleta as wingbacks. I know enough about both players to know they don't really have the attributes to play wingback. I love Zabaleta to bits, but a wingback he is not
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I haven't seen the game. I said 'they add', not 'they added'.

That doesn't mean I can't have an opinion of Cresswell or Zabaleta as wingbacks. I know enough about both players to know they don't really have the attributes to play wingback. I love Zabaleta to bits, but a wingback he is not
In what way was playing wing back a problem for them then today?
Crouchend_Hammer

Given I haven't seen the game, it is hard for me to say for sure, but based on what I have heard and what I saw on monday, I woukd hazard a guess that having wingbacks who are not very good at attacking seriously blunts our attacking ability

Playing full backs in a back five is an excellent way to ensure we don't concede. However, Leaves a hell of a lot Ov responsibility on Obiang's shoulders to get the back from back to front

Or are you simply making the point I have posted in the wrong thread?
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Positives:

enjoyed watching Zabaleta and Antonio again today - both did well.

3-man (er, 6-man?) defence did the job for the most part, bit of luck here and there helped. Tony Gale said their first shot on target was in the 88th minute.

Our away support again proved they are a bunch of noisy ******** - great job, loud and clear on my space telly feed. Yet another great showing away from home - fantastic stuff.

Negatives.
Felt sorry for Hernandez, played out of position again, he clearly ain't happy playing there. And just as important, none of us are happy with him there either.

Still want to see a proper two up front - lots of choices but if it was up to me i think I'd be taking a gamble on Sakho with Hernandez.

Did not enjoy seeing the cobwebs around both goals today. Gippos could have set up their caravans on both goal lines today and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Did not enjoy seeing Arnautovic either - acts like a complete tart diving and rolling on the ground every time a defender comes near him.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Given I haven't seen the game, it is hard for me to say for sure, but based on what I have heard and what I saw on monday, I woukd hazard a guess that having wingbacks who are not very good at attacking seriously blunts our attacking ability

Playing full backs in a back five is an excellent way to ensure we don't concede. However, Leaves a hell of a lot Ov responsibility on Obiang's shoulders to get the back from back to front

Or are you simply making the point I have posted in the wrong thread?
The latter for sure, but there was nothing wrong with the shape or positional play of either of them.

West Brom had ten men behind the ball at home inside the first ten minutes. Their game plan was to sucker us into going gung ho so they could pick us off on a set play or break like they already have Burnley and Bournemouth this year.

Cresswell's delivery was uncharacteristically poor today. He started really badly from set plays.

For all that, Hernandez really didn't show today and was by far the poorest of our front three.

West Brom (a) is an absolute anomaly of a game though. No other team in the league is so cautious at home. The game should be seen as that.

It's a solid point.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

hammers92 wrote:Defensively we didn't put a foot wrong which was great to see after being all over the place, and the back line needed that going into next week's match against quality opposition.

I don't think it's hernandezs fault he was played on the left wing, again!
Crouchend_Hammer

I am sure there was nothing wrong with their positional play today. They are full backs so shoukd know about positioning. Doesn't change the fact that they are not suitable for the wing back role unless the ambition is to do nothing more than defend (IMHO)

Being able to cross a static ball now and again does not turn a full back into a wing back
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Just got in. Feet up, vino poured and a curry in the oven.

Felt sorry for west brom fans today, to put up with their managers tactics and no show no signs of attacking whilst at home is depressing. Only one team wanted to win and that was us.

Heavy pitch, conditions not great but I thought we held onto it better than Monday. Ref had a shocker.

Front 3 interchanged a lot, can't fault their effort.

Not the right sort of game for Hernandez to be fair, he over did it a few times but his work rate is still there. He wasn't a left winger by any means and popped up everywhere. His movement and willing running is great but it didn't really happen for him. Could understand the sub.

Arnautovic don't move, incredibly annoying. Continues to frustrate and disappoint.

Zab was good, would like to see him on the right side of a 3, far better ball player than fonte ..... Whom the ball was like a magnet too, he had so much of it in good positions but delivery was crap .... Along with Cresswell who was like a lost boy in the 2nd half.

The severity of Ginge's injury could have been easily avoided. Poor.

Would have taken 0-0 beforehand, we were by far the better team, had more chances, possession and control throughout the 90.

Sakho first one over to clap the fans at the end then ran off, can't be too disappointed in today, we got a point and kept a clean sheet away from home .... Though we should have won.

The Half time music beautifully reflected Pullis's football ethos, the place was literally devoid of entertainment. His negative football drained their support and the game.

:crest:
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I am sure there was nothing wrong with their positional play today. They are full backs so shoukd know about positioning. Doesn't change the fact that they are not suitable for the wing back role unless the ambition is to do nothing more than defend (IMHO)
The problem is that Cresswell slung in 17 crosses, which were less than stellar in the main.

Zabaleta actually went to CB and Antonio to wing back when Collins went off with what looked like a hamstring problem early in the second half.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Hernandez not very good so far? 2 games on the wing, 1 game where he scored both goals and one of the few positives in a **** performance against Man Utd. We are going to piss off a decent player by playing him out of position (again).