West ham United 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur (23/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Re: West ham United v Tottenham Hotspur: Match Thread

Post by Wilko1304 »

Ayew isn't anything like Antonio and it makes no sense to want him to have come in if your reasoning is "to keep the same style of play"
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Let's be honest. We were a bit rubbish. Bettwr with Antonio bit still pony. Didn't have a shot on target for 60 mins or so.
Don't think we had passing move of more than three passes.

Very basic, safety first football. We wont go down but it will be a really boring mid table season
This, in a nutshell.

Comedy defending as per usual for all three goals. 6 games into the season and we've conceded 3 or more on 4 occasions already.

That said we had 3 good penalty shouts, and Aurier really should have had two yellows before their first goal. Nonetheless, I didn't think we deserved anything.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

From the moment MA went off we looked shaken after an initial period of good play. We were the better team until then. Carroll overall seemed ineffective and I think Slav dropped a round one when he put on Carroll rather than Daffy. The thought of Chico and Daffy up front gives me shivers!

MotD: Don't get me started.

Referee: Ditto!

The papers are saying that Slav will get the chop. If Pellegrino's the answer they are asking the wrong question.

One thing is blatantly obvious. We not anywhere near "the next level". We are not City, United, Spuds or Chelski and until we get new mega rich owners we never will be. We are West Ham. We have no divine right to win, win, win. People want to get their feet back on the ground and accept that our owners are have sold us down the river for a nice little earner. It matters not one jot or iota who they bring in to replace Slav, as he will be hampered by the same treatment by the board. If there is a manager our there who is stupid enough to accept the job in the first place, I wish him luck. But it's a Catch-22 situation. If he is not stupid he won't apply anyway, and if he is stupid we shouldn't employ him in the first place.

I Slav I trust. In the West Ham family I trust. In the board I have no confidence whatsoever.

:crest:
Last edited by Upton Carp on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Pulls up Trees wrote:There is no honour in football. Niggly fouls and dives are part of the game now and it's no coincidence that the Top 6 are all experts at it.

If we don't wise up and join in, then we may as well get relegated to the more robust rules in the Championship.

I'm by no means condoning it by the way, I ****ing hate it as much as the next man.
It's not new. The successful Liverpool teams of the 70s and 80s were expert at being niggly. Leeds in the the early 70s were done right brutal. We are just a bunch of fannies basically
Crouchend_Hammer

Upton Carp wrote:From the moment MA went off we looked shaken after an initial period of good play. We were the better team until then. Carroll overall seemed ineffective and I think Slav dropped a round one when he put on Carroll rather than Daffy. The thought of Chico and Daffy up front gives me shivers!

MotD: Don't get me started.

Referee: Ditto!

The papers are saying that Slav will get the chop. If Pellegrino's the answer they are asking the wrong question.

One thing is blatantly obvious. We not anywhere "the next level". We are not City, United, Spuds or Chelski and until we get new mega rich owners we never will be. We are West Ham. We have no divine right to win, win, win. People want to get their feet back on the ground and accept that our owners are have sold us down the river for a nice little earner. It matters not one jot or iota who they bring in to replace Slav, they will; be hampered by the same treatment by the board. If there is a manager our there who is stupid enough to accept the job in the first place, I wish him luck. But it's a Catch-22 situation. If he is not stupid he won't apply anyway, and if he is stupid we shouldn't employ him in the first place.

I Slav I trust. In the West Ham family I trust. In the board I have no confidence whatsoever.

:crest:
I don't really care if we win or lose that much. But if we set up with three centre backs, and two full backs who hardly cross tte half way line it is no surprise if the football is basic, limited fare.
IAllardyce was, is, and will alwqys be a **** and he got coated off for better stuff than we are playing at the moment
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 351 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
It's not new. The successful Liverpool teams of the 70s and 80s were expert at being niggly. Leeds in the the early 70s were done right brutal. We are just a bunch of fannies basically
I well remember that the only way that England stalwart Phil Neal could ever handle Devo when we played Liverpool was to constantly wrestle him and literally grab him as he ran past. He did it all the time and never got penalised. Nothing ever changes much.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Still at a loss how anyone can think we were the better team until they scored.How do people quantify this?Sours had 68% of the ball 9 efforts on goal 4 on target,compared to our 1 Yes ONE off target effort.In the first half.
Crouchend_Hammer

I agree Bubbles. We were rubbish. Plain and simple
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

bubbles500 wrote:Still at a loss how anyone can think we were the better team until they scored.How do people quantify this?Sours had 68% of the ball 9 efforts on goal 4 on target,compared to our 1 Yes ONE off target effort.In the first half.
We're you there Bubbles? Stats don't tell the whole story. Personally I thought it was the best we had played all season. Spurs are a very good side well managed with a lot of very expensive talent. Of course they will look good and exploit opportunities? But that does not equate to we were rubbish.
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I agree Bubbles. We were rubbish. Plain and simple
In your opinion, of course which is very plain and simple.
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

We were not rubbish. That was not plain to see. It wasn't simple even if we did have 1, yes UNO, I repeat ONE attempt on goal.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Right now we are where Spurs were fifteen years ago
Crouchend_Hammer

Diogenes wrote: In your opinion, of course which is very plain and simple.
Of course it is my opinion. Just as yours is yours. I won't belittle your opinion though
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Jumby wrote:Right now we are where Spurs were fifteen years ago
Pretty much,they were a mid table team for a good 15 yrs,till 10 yrs ago.I think Martin jol was the start of their resurgence,coupled with an obvious plan to buy younger players and invest in academy and training ground.There really isno reason we couldn't mirror what they've done.Essentially we are similar size clubs.And I never said we we were rubbish yesterday,we were containing them well.But that's all it was until they scored,apart from Arnie run we never looked a threat.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Spurs fans were awfully quiet yesterday weren't they!
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Can't see how we set up with a limited attacking side yesterday, seems to just be an entrenched view on the 3-4-3 system we are playing.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Got to say, before the game my heart sank as soon as I realised both Ogbonna and Fonte were playing. Fonte weren't too bad but slow as arsseholes and Ogbonna who has virtually no positional sense and awareness of what's around him. Reid was playing very well but occasionally let down by those around him. It's our Achilles heel and holding us back as a team.

We were conceding 3s when Ogbonna was in the team then we tightened right up with clean sheets only to go back to square 1 again the moment he's back in the side against Prem opposition. He's the common denominator. I woukdnt like to know how many goals he's been a part of conceding since he arrived under Bilic.

It weren't just Antonio s injury that hurt us but also no Collins who had been in good form prior to his injury. Fed up of all these injuries to key players.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Conceded 3 or more goals in 15 of our last 44 PL games,that's just not acceptable.will never do anything conceding 3 goals in more than a third of your games.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 527 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Jumby wrote:Right now we are where Spurs were fifteen years ago
Oh great ! So in 15 years time we'll be challenging for the title (not !).
:phew:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

bubbles500 wrote:Conceded 3 or more goals in 15 of our last 44 PL games,that's just not acceptable.will never do anything conceding 3 goals in more than a third of your games.

It's horrendous at this level and of no coincidence. Italian International and ex Juve (bench warmer) though so he gets a lot of slack with fans. I can think of other better players who get twice as much flak as him. I was beginning to get a similar feeling about Fonte but he's been better of late but still not ideal. Fontes problem is more his legs going, Ogbonna hasn't got that issue. It's killing Bilic and preventing us from kicking on at the heart of our defence.