West ham United 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur (23/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: West ham United v Tottenham Hotspur: Match Thread

Post by Colours never run »

Beavis Danzig wrote:arnie would have to spend most of his time on the left to cover for carroll who will never get back in time to give cresswell any protection or link ups. at that point it becomes a defacto 343.

this is why the 352 ideas don't work unless you've got two pacey strikers who can peel off to cover their respective flank. they can't just both goal hang while your midfield gets hammered. hernandez would spend just as much time wide as he would in a 343.

it's such a pointless thing to keep going on about. if you want hernadez to stay central, you need two players who can run the channels, cover their full/wingback and link up the play in wide areas alongside him. carroll isn't that.

either that or play a 1980s 442 and surrender central midfield entirely.

I think pointless is a bit strong old chap. I think it's a legit call to make with the players available.

With regards to worrying about the flanks, I elgant agree it's critical in a 352 formation to want your central Strikers to keep falling back to the wings to support the defence. That's what the wingbacks and the defence is for. Sure they're welcome to help out along the front line when defending but they don't need to be dropping deep and out wide. it's why we'd have 3 central midfielders about for that kind of thing also to cover and help out defensively. That said, I'll always be a fan of the 343 currently and won't have much of an issue playing it. Just thinking of another way to play the likes of Hernandez, Carroll, Arnautovic and Antonio without losing the shape and solidity as a team at the back.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Colours never run wrote:Zabaleta and Kouyate over Obiang and Noble in the middle?? Good grief. Might as well just stand aside and allow Spurs to waltz through the heart of our team and to shoot at will. :shock:

Oi! Don't start all that again. Zab as a defensive midfielder...it's the way forward.

The proof will be in the pudding if he ever plays there. Let's leave it at that.
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

They'll be terrified of Carrolls physical presence - just keep AC out of the pub on Friday night and the classic little and large combo will tear them apart - Sakho can f*** off it's AC and Hernandez up front every game for me - get the goals early then play 10 behind the ball - I'd give my left bollock to beat them again MM
IanBishopLegend7

Post by IanBishopLegend7 »

Adrian

Zabaletta. Reid. Ogbonna

Antonio Noble. Obiang. Creswell

Arnie

Carrol. Hernandez
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Three focal points in this game for me - shackle Kane; Ginge had him in his pocket in the last game, but he's injured, so one of the other 3 must take up that mantle. They rely so much on Kane to lead their line and he is their biggest goal threat.

Next...wind up Ali...get in his face...insult him, blind side him. He's overrated, a temperamental little scrote that believes all the hype that Hoddle blows up his arse and is just gagging to have a pop at anyone that stifles his game - a good bet to get sent off if this becomes the cauldron it promises to be. Kouyate could put this kid to bed early.

We must have someone tracking Ericsson...I really rate him, drifts into good positions and finds the space between the lines consistently. We will need to be communicating well or this fella will do damage to us. Someone might need to take one for the team to soften him up a bit and keep him under his stone.

Achieve that and we can take these again. I would prefer to see us go for it against these; play Carroll off the bench, play to Arnie and Antonio's strengths and have Chica running their backline. Be bold, be big and bully this lot, they don like it and scare easily.

Would like the clean sheet, but any win is a great achievement against these, just for the months of merkage with the numerous Spuds I come into contact with...they hate it and usually throw their toys out their prams. A draw wouldn't be a disaster either...just don't get beat! COYI!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

I'm definitely another one in the wind Dele up camp as much as possible. He's a ****ing time bomb waiting to go off and the Refs won't hesitate if he acts up as we know he can.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

----------------Hart

----Zabs----Reid (C)-Oggy

Antonio--Obiang--Kouyate--Cresswell

-----Ayew---Hernandez---Arnie

Oggy deserves a recall

Zabs looked good at CB last week

Ayew and Arnie earned their place

and in 2 games the only thing carroll has brought is defensive headers... we already have 3 CBs at the back I think we should put an actual world class striker through the middle
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

We have beaten them twice in a row at home. We look dreadful so far this season.

1-3
Colours never run

There is a danger here with all our new formations and different ways of playing such a good Spurs side, me included. And that's the fact we have already managed to beat them convincingly twice at home on the trot and so we already know what works against them as they haven't changed much with the way they play.

Wasn't it 3 at the back in both instances but slightly different set ups in midfield and attack due to a lack of quality strikers up top? You would think if anything we should improve in the final third.

I feel Hart is going to be crucial if we want a good result and display and I can see why Bishop would go with Adrian. I'd just go with Hart though as he has come off the back of 2 Prem clean sheets back to back.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

MadMart wrote: I'd give my left bollock to beat them again MM
I'd chip in my right bollock as well if it meant we beat them.
If we lose it's gonna be a ***king long weekend...
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Kane's club scoring record is fearsome: 80 goals in 118 appearances! With stats like that, he half-merits expectancy that he'll the best English striker since Shearer.

And he and his team haven't scored on our patch for two games running.

Kane also seems to be one of only a few Spurs players who have maintained the level of performance they had at their peak last season.

So, its a major challenge for us, but not one we need automatically fear.

We've got to take as many chances as we can. I'd go

-------------Hart

Zabaleta - Reid - Fonte - Cresswell

Antonio - Kouyate - Obiang - Arnautovic
--------------Ayew
----------------- Hernandez--------------

Roughly, two banks of four, with Antonio and Arnie doing battle with their respective full-backs, keeping it stretched.

Gormless as he may seem, on occasions, Ayew has already more than once found some space down our right and played in a team-mate for a goal.

We'd be insane to hoof it long for Alderweireld, Dier and Vertonghen to bring down and pass forward, but there are tactical tweaks we could have in our locker, with

1. Carroll coming on in the second half
2. Byram or Masuaku freshening up the legs out wide, and
3. Sakho replacing the first of the two above to tire.

I sense that this is a game that the new lads will get a real West Ham welcome. Especially if they rise to the occasion.

A point you say? Yes please!
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

I'm not optimistic about this match, but hopefully like most of my predictions, they are way off the mark.

We messed up their Title campaign last season, not so long ago, I think they'll be smarting from that.
They couldn't beat Burnley at home, so Pocchettino will be hammering those players to get more points away.
We are slightly over-condfident - we beat Bolton, Huddersfield, draw at West Brom, we beat Spurs last time, why not again.

For me, the stars are aligned against us, but I'm rubbish at predictions, so it might be ok :scarfer:
Colours never run

We messed it up twice on the bounce for them. It happened again! We did warn them it might.
Czech Hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Czech Hammer »

Atleast there is more space to conga if we are 0-5 down at HT.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

We're stronger than we were last year, they're weaker.

With the right selection I think we'll beat them 3-1.

The one thing in their favour is it's too early for them to choke and they really are chokers. They have an Arsenal like ability to fall to pieces when something really important rides on it, but they're uber-Arsenal in that respect.
Colours never run

bubbles1966 wrote:
The one thing in their favour is it's too early for them to choke and they really are chokers. They have an Arsenal like ability to fall to pieces when something really important rides on it, but they're uber-Arsenal in that respect.
I think the same. When the pressure is really on, they bottle it big time. They do go into this game with f*** all pressure which makes them potentially a dangerous side where they can relax and play how they usually play. We must start well which hasn't been Bilics forte but he has got previous against doing well again at them at our gaff (even at the toilet bowl) and trust him to find a way.

It's gonna be fascinating and can't wait to sing myself hoarse even at an ungodly hour for football. Get this right, then our season truly kicks off again..
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

brooking_1980 wrote:I'm not optimistic about this match,
No one in their right mind would be ..................................however :) ............................................. we've come good after 3 defeats and Slaven knows how to nullify Tottenham's play - ok we won't have Lanzini this time around but we've added another creative player to the Squad since 5th May 2017 - I'm going to assume Bilic will adopt similar tactics on Saturday hoping we'll create enough chances to win .

I'm not a fan of these early kick-offs , 12.30pm this Saturday - not sure what our record is with these breakfast kick-offs but I'd wager it ain't good so that's another obstacle to overcome , but hey , it's Tottenham , form and kick-off times go out the window anyway so no need to worry .

Be first to everything , no silly early lunges [ Mark Noble , I mean you ] resulting in early yellows , keep it hard but keep it sensible .

You have to go back to 2011 for the last 0-0 between the two clubs , since then we've had 3 games which resulted in 5 goals scored , 2 with 4 goals and 3 games which finished 1-0 , 2 of them in our favour . During our last three meetings only one goal has separated the two sides West Ham winning two of the matches .
Our last 4 meetings show a pattern of - Lost - Won - Lost - Won , lets hope the pattern ended there .

I can't predict the score but I will predict it will be full blooded , exciting and we'll probably see 6 yellow cards , 3 apiece . Hopefully no sendings off - they'll target Arnautovic , we'll target Delle .

West Ham to break the Pattern -

West Ham United 3 Tottenham Hotspur 2

Antonio , Arnautovic , Noble
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

People getting a tad carried away...

They are a very good side and we are scratching around for the right setup and players to fit in it. I've also pissed off several mates by not turning up at a social day to go to the game. Fate will make me suffer

3-0 Spurs.
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by woodywoody »

if we don't hussle them and close quick and sit back we will loose.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

I'd still keep most of the line-up the same as the last two league matches, including the formation. I do think Arnautovic and Masuaku have earned starts though, and that Hernandez needs to played in his best position as the central striker. Carroll off the bench in the second half.

-------------------Hart--------------------
--------Fonte---Reid----Ogbonna---
--Zabaleta----------------Masuaku--
-----------Obiang---Kouyate----------
----Antonio-------------Arnautovic---
----------------Hernandez--------------

SUBS: Adrian, Rice, Cresswell, Noble, Ayew, Carroll, Sakho.