West ham United 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur (23/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ingwe
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Re: West ham United v Tottenham Hotspur: Match Thread

Post by Ingwe »

I can't stand MOTD and their so-called pundits. I never watch it anymore and wish that the BBC would sack the lot of them. Smug, self-referential bores with nothing to say. Tossers!
Westcliffspur
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Westcliffspur »

I would like to give my perspective as a Spurs supporter with a long standing soft spot for the Hammers. First of all I think it was an excellent atmosphere in your stadium today. Regarding the game itself. Although I would have bitten someone's arm off before kick if they said Spurs would just pip the Hammers I didn't expect us to get more than a point today. We took the lead against the run of play and after Eriksen's goal I was in dreamland. Fair play to you to nearly pulling it back for a share of the spoils. Excellent heated London derby and very little to separate the two teams today. Cue abuse...
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

nice of MOTD to detail the controversy at the end of the game.

CONCLUSIVE :thdn:
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

carlokilkennie wrote:we were so good today that spurs had to score three to beat us. don't worry we will easily finish 12th or 13th. :crest:
thats some next level **** right there.
bowltorious
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Westcliffspur wrote:I would like to give my perspective as a Spurs supporter with a long standing soft spot for the Hammers. First of all I think it was an excellent atmosphere in your stadium today. Regarding the game itself. Although I would have bitten someone's arm off before kick if they said Spurs would just pip the Hammers I didn't expect us to get more than a point today. We took the lead against the run of play and after Eriksen's goal I was in dreamland. Fair play to you to nearly pulling it back for a share of the spoils. Excellent heated London derby and very little to separate the two teams today. Cue abuse...
To be fair, you and I think it's Modern are always pretty respectful and give an honest view so can't see how you deserve any abuse. It was a close game and you were just more clinical and got a few nice bounces go your way. Less can be said about the ref and pundits though, winds me up. Arnie gets dragged down early doors which should of led to a pen and likely 1-0 and Aurier being sent off, the same player then commits countless fouls which should have seen him sent off once again in the first half. He finally gets sent off after potentially giving away another pen that didn't even get mentioned although I think that one was a 50/50 call as he headed it first. The Carroll one was nailed on for me and was exactly the same as one given against us in the last min against Saints a few weeks back. Alli is a good player but such a diving fanny its unreal. Constant fouls to stop our attacks that didn't get punished with cards. I know we aren't the only team to get decisions go against us but we were top of the wrongful decision charts for the last two seasons I believe and are probably up there again this season. 100% the "bigger clubs" get more decisions go for them and the bias from the media is quite frankly disgraceful at times.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Ingwe wrote:I can't stand MOTD and their so-called pundits. I never watch it anymore and wish that the BBC would sack the lot of them. Smug, self-referential bores with nothing to say. Tossers!
Lineker and Shearer. The absolute definition of smugness. They are getting money for old rope. I always record MOTD and fast forward all the drivel that comes out of their mouths.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 780 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Westcliffspur wrote:Fair play to you to nearly pulling it back for a share of the spoils. Excellent heated London derby and very little to separate the two teams today. Cue abuse...
sad state of affairs when it takes a spurs supporter to give a bit of perspective to supposed west ham supporters who come on here just to dig out their club.
thal

Post by thal »

[HH] wrote: Kane's goal was completely legit.

Phase 1: Kane in offside position, nowhere near interfering or attempting to play the ball. Eriksen feeds Alli, onside, with a through ball. Alli collects ball, has time to take a touch or two before crossing.
Phase 2 begins: Kane is onside.

He's offside if you're reading the 2004 rule book.
See I just don't get this. If this is how the rule works now you might as well leave your central striker on the goal line. Play long balls out wide for your pacy winger to run onto then he can pass to the unmarked striker (now onside) for a tap in.

The very first offside rule was introduced to stop this!
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

A spirited fightback in the end and at least the players gave it a good fight and did not roll over and die at 3-0 down.

I thought we looked quite well balanced up until Antonio’s injury. I felt that bringing on Carroll at that stage of the game was the wrong move. We needed to keep the same shape so one-for-one would have been either Ayew or Sakho.

AC seems to be nowhere near fit and should be used sparingly (20-30 mins max). He is everywhere you don’t want him to be, and nowhere he should be. He was the cause of the first goal by drifting into a wide left defensive midfield position and hitting an aimless, dangerous pass back into play across the centre.

Good to see Noble back though. We have missed his fetch and carry play and the midfield was far better for it.

Overall though, we were beaten by the better side on the day and need to turn things around pretty soon to avoid a fight against the drop. A point per game is needed to survive this league in most seasons. We are slightly behind right now, but it is very early days and we have been improving of late.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Some very sour folk on here.

Spurs took full advantage as MA went off. Deserved the win.

Such is life.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

thal wrote:The very first offside rule was introduced to stop this!
It was - and the current law is sometimes quite daft.

No one has tried this yet - but you can put a man one metre in front of their goal keeper when you have a free kick from a goal scoring distance. As long as your man doesn't move and doesn't make any attempt to play the ball, he can be deemed as not interfering with play under the current law. Should the ball come back to the player after going in front of him (the keeper drops the ball for example), then you man is onside. If that's correct, it's daft.
Perhaps a ref on here can confirm this?
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

johnnyb wrote: Lineker and Shearer. The absolute definition of smugness. They are getting money for old rope. I always record MOTD and fast forward all the drivel that comes out of their mouths.
1 English top flight winners medal between the two of them.

I too far forward through all the drivel, tbh I watch us, the lesser sides and I'll watch the big boys highlights if they lose or get a frustrating draw. I never listen to the pundits
BonzosBoots
Has liked: 49 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by BonzosBoots »

We were OK until Spurs scored and then poor. Spurs deservedly won the game. Slav's change for MA was baffl ing and took any pace out of the side.

We are in trouble chaps.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

All of the top six clubs are really good at niggly fouls and other sorts of gamesmanship and, if we aspire to join them, we're going to have to learn how to play the officials in the same way that those clubs do.

Our problem is that we let ourselves get wound up by it (a la Arnautovic) and then do something that's so blatant that we leave the referee with no choice but to dish out a card.

Our game management is quite like our ability to pass the ball forward: a bit ****.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

cracking game but undone by the referee yet again. was a penalty for the foul on carroll at the end. Time for video decisions for anything inside the box. The foul by zab at southampton was softer than this one and yet both times we get the wrong decision.

I thought that sakho or ayew on for antonio would have kept the shape and style of the team. Playing carroll so early on left us caught between pressing and long ball. Slav killed us for pace by bringing him on. wrong decision.

fonte and ogbonna were poor positionally and slow at times.

zaba was superb yet again.
cresswell I thought was poor although a few decent crosses went in

Noble played ok but too slow in the middle of the park.
arnie was hot and cold. at times lazy not making runs.
hernandez was good and if we play him centrally and up top he will score the goals.
carroll has no goals and no shots this season so far and must be used as a sub .
at the end of the day you cannot give teams a 3 goal lead.

how long is antonio out for ?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5679 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

the pink palermo wrote:Sadly I suspect the owner will pull the trigger and the name I have heard today is Pelligrini .
Oh the irony of looking at a manager who benefited massively from the previous manager's negative approach and then the wheels came off defensively when left to his own devices.
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Very enjoyable feisty game to watch. Lost to a good attacking side. Took a red card for us to get two goals back but plenty of positives. The next 4 games are games we would expect to get results from. COYI :crest:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5679 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Ingwe wrote:I can't stand MOTD and their so-called pundits. I never watch it anymore and wish that the BBC would sack the lot of them. Smug, self-referential bores with nothing to say. Tossers!
Somehow Sky and BT are worse. I guess because they need to hype it up to justify the price tag.

I watch the games muted these days and go do something else during the break. Much more enjoyable.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 667 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

We set up right with it looking like the plan was for Antonio to cover Zabaletas lack of pace on the right, Noble and Kouyate to frustrate in the middle and Arnie to create in the middle, covering the left hand side further up the pitch which with Creswells pace meant he didn't need to cover him.

It was working, we looked inventive and prevented their normal play down the wing.

The Antonio injury screwed us for a number of reasons.

I would have brought on Ayew but the only thing I can think of is that Bilic doesn't trust him to track back and cover. He obviously saw Chico as the better option.

Tottenham have a long term squad built with investment and ambition. We were like Dad's army in comparison. Full of heart but no where near on quality.

Roll on the next game.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

The Old Mile End wrote:
It was - and the current law is sometimes quite daft.

No one has tried this yet - but you can put a man one metre in front of their goal keeper when you have a free kick from a goal scoring distance. As long as your man doesn't move and doesn't make any attempt to play the ball, he can be deemed as not interfering with play under the current law. Should the ball come back to the player after going in front of him (the keeper drops the ball for example), then you man is onside. If that's correct, it's daft.
Perhaps a ref on here can confirm this?
Bolton used to do this under BFS