West ham United 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur (23/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Re: West ham United v Tottenham Hotspur: Match Thread

Post by chappo59 »

Ingwe wrote:I can't stand MOTD and their so-called pundits. I never watch it anymore and wish that the BBC would sack the lot of them. Smug, self-referential bores with nothing to say. Tossers!
Jobs for the boys, stereotypical claptrap pointing out the obvious and Lineker is so smug and irrelevant it's untrue........it's so cheesy and dated, it would be gone but for tradition.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by chappo59 »

bristolhammerfc wrote:We set up right with it looking like the plan was for Antonio to cover Zabaletas lack of pace on the right, Noble and Kouyate to frustrate in the middle and Arnie to create in the middle, covering the left hand side further up the pitch which with Creswells pace meant he didn't need to cover him.

It was working, we looked inventive and prevented their normal play down the wing.

The Antonio injury screwed us for a number of reasons.

I would have brought on Ayew but the only thing I can think of is that Bilic doesn't trust him to track back and cover. He obviously saw Chico as the better option.

Tottenham have a long term squad built with investment and ambition. We were like Dad's army in comparison. Full of heart but no where near on quality.

Roll on the next game.

^^^^^ This, especially the heart but lacking quality bit
arlhe
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

Zabaleta was my WHU motm. His recovery from forward positions was astonishing on occasions.

An entertaining game and, despite the loss, I'd rather watch that than a 0-0.

Lising Iron Mike disrupted things and was the cause of the loss.
Devs Hampton
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Devs Hampton »

arlhe wrote:Zabaleta was my WHU motm. His recovery from forward positions was astonishing on occasions.

An entertaining game and, despite the loss, I'd rather watch that than a 0-0.

Lising Iron Mike disrupted things and was the cause of the loss.
My personal view is that Slav was the cause of the loss disrupting the whole set up by making the wrong substitution
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 401 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

Reflecting on the game today I find that I'm not seeing it as bad as I was yesterday.

The first two goals were sloppy from our side, Carroll at fault for both IMO. Our heads dropped and I thought we were in for a real hiding. Losing Antonio was a blow to our game plan and I think we were hard done by regarding the penalty shouts. I would have liked to see less playing back to the keeper followed by a hoof upfield.

Credit where credits due whatever was said at half time instilled some fight and desire following a disappointing end to the first. Nobes played well and Chicharito was fired up just a massive shame we couldn't get it over the line.

They're a better side than us with better players but we were not that far behind yesterday.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

I don’t get why nothing is made of Tottenham’s gamesmanship (being charitable there). They do everything they can to cheat their way to a win. Niggly fouls, diving, taking throws ten yards further forward than it went out, timewasting, giving the ref grief. And yet all you hear is how they are “playing the right way”. 20 fouls yesterday, and those are just the ones the ref saw. The highest in the league. I absolutely detest them and everything they stand for. Dirty Leeds? Shitty Spurs.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Sadly, I think all teams do it.

I didn't see it myself, but there have been comments that Noble gestured to Arnautovic that he should have gone down in the area, when he went through and the opponent had a handful of his shirt.

If you take a step back and look at it objectively (which I appreciate isn't how we normally watch a game featuring our side), there are plenty of examples where we use just little things to try to obtain a small advantage.

The complaint, in truth, is perhaps that Spurs are better at it than us.
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Post by e17 »

The difference is Spurs have been run properly
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

Those saying that Ayew was the obvious substitution for Antonio in yesterday's set up are really baffling me. I cannot think of one similarity in the way they play or their skill sets.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

wildkard wrote:I don’t get why nothing is made of Tottenham’s gamesmanship (being charitable there). They do everything they can to cheat their way to a win. Niggly fouls, diving, taking throws ten yards further forward than it went out, timewasting, giving the ref grief. And yet all you hear is how they are “playing the right way”. 20 fouls yesterday, and those are just the ones the ref saw. The highest in the league. I absolutely detest them and everything they stand for. Dirty Leeds? Shitty Spurs.
I mentioned it .

Alli getting that free kick , Eriksen was constantly fouling , Kane pulled down Ogbonna when we had a break on , time wasting constantly , the push on Carroll by Sanchez , I could go on.....
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Devs Hampton wrote:
My personal view is that Slav was the cause of the loss disrupting the whole set up by making the wrong substitution
My personal view is that unfortunately Spurs had 11 players that were all better than our 11 players position-for-position, and it's quite likely that we would have lost anyway.
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 401 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

OnePaulHilton wrote:Those saying that Ayew was the obvious substitution for Antonio in yesterday's set up are really baffling me. I cannot think of one similarity in the way they play or their skill sets.
I would say pace and the ability to keep the same formation by bringing Ayew on. I would think it's not so much like for like just more a case of Ayew would enable the team to continue with yesterday's plan A more than bringing AC on would have
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Let's be honest. We were a bit rubbish. Bettwr with Antonio bit still pony. Didn't have a shot on target for 60 mins or so.
Don't think we had passing move of more than three passes.

Very basic, safety first football. We wont go down but it will be a really boring mid table season
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

I do not think Ayew has pace. Always comes inside, so as I say I don't get how it would be keeping the same shape.
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

Monkeybubbles wrote:
My personal view is that unfortunately Spurs had 11 players that were all better than our 11 players position-for-position, and it's quite likely that we would have lost anyway.
I would say Zaba had a better game than Aurier.
Iron George

Post by Iron George »

OnePaulHilton wrote:Those saying that Ayew was the obvious substitution for Antonio in yesterday's set up are really baffling me. I cannot think of one similarity in the way they play or their skill sets.
A number of people around me agreed with the Carroll substitution when it was made but then said Ayew should have replaced Antonio when we were two/three goals down.

The benefit of hindsight.
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by steps »

Goals on Sunday saying Kane should of been flagged for their first due to having a clear 5 / 10 yard advantage and therefore our defence had no chance of catching him.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

steps wrote:Goals on Sunday saying Kane should of been flagged for their first due to having a clear 5 / 10 yard advantage and therefore our defence had no chance of catching him.
I've just seen this, how the hell is this not offside, the offside rule is a joke!
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Why don't people give it a rest. We lost end of we can blame everyone we like Ref, players whatever you want but we lost get over it and move on.

All this griping and whinging isn't going to change the result. Accept it we were not good enough
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

There is no honour in football. Niggly fouls and dives are part of the game now and it's no coincidence that the Top 6 are all experts at it.

If we don't wise up and join in, then we may as well get relegated to the more robust rules in the Championship.

I'm by no means condoning it by the way, I ****ing hate it as much as the next man.