West Ham Utd 1-0 Swansea City (30/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Re: West Ham United -v- Swansea City : Match Thread

Post by Aceface »

Cresswell was about the best English left back around for 2 seasons straight without getting a sniff. Now he can barely walk and chew gum, isn't even the best left back at West Ham and regularly getting called up. There's probably a deeper truth about the England national team in there somewhere if you want to find one.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

We were poor, Swansea were worse.

I'm sure many will take comfort in us getting the 3 points, but behind that the reality is we struggled at home against one of the worst teams in the league. If we're all honest, we struggled against Huddersfield too until Obiangs deflected effort.

One thing is certain, if we keep playing like that it's going to be a long, long season and we're going to do well to get any higher than 15th.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Was the midget dildo brother at the game TV kept cutting to the ancient one chatting to Motty but did not see Sullivan.
flakwell hammer

Post by flakwell hammer »

I agree it's going to be a long season, I think we wil lose all our homes games to the top six therefore it's games like Swansea,Stoke and wba that we are looking to be entertained.
The problem however is all the clubs in and around us are terrified of being relegated so rock up and play like Swansea did Saturday.
So I'm struggling to see the games were going to walk away from thinking wow what a game what a goal.
The only league game last season bar the Spurs game I felt entertained at was against Palace.
I don't think it's because we are **** it's just how the premier league is every team is terrified of losing and therefore employ negative tactics.
I don't know what the answer is the gap is so huge now between us and the big boys we are unfortunately becoming a Stoke/Swansea type team.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2358 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote:Cresswell was about the best English left back around for 2 seasons straight without getting a sniff. Now he can barely walk and chew gum, isn't even the best left back at West Ham and regularly getting called up. There's probably a deeper truth about the England national team in there somewhere if you want to find one.
He did get a call up, and a cap in 2015/16 (I think), but he has always been behind Rose and Bertrand in the pecking order (and rightly so). Plus Baines was still knocking about then, plus Hodgson rated Gibbs

I am surprised Charlie Daniels has not had a call-up, but then whats the point of trying all these left backs when Rose and Bertrand are obviously first two choices
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

flakwell hammer wrote:I agree it's going to be a long season, I think we wil lose all our homes games to the top six therefore it's games like Swansea,Stoke and wba that we are looking to be entertained.
The problem however is all the clubs in and around us are terrified of being relegated so rock up and play like Swansea did Saturday.
So I'm struggling to see the games were going to walk away from thinking wow what a game what a goal.
The only league game last season bar the Spurs game I felt entertained at was against Palace.
I don't think it's because we are **** it's just how the premier league is every team is terrified of losing and therefore employ negative tactics.
I don't know what the answer is the gap is so huge now between us and the big boys we are unfortunately becoming a Stoke/Swansea type team.
I agree, if this trend in the league continues I will have to get my entertainment from elsewhere, maybe start following another team in another league or try out another sport. This season so far has been awful to watch, especially for us and I don't see it getting any better. Teams are becoming less brave and quite a few fans swallow the whole 'The result is the only thing that matters' sky sports tripe. It isn't, being entertained is the most important thing surely?
flakwell hammer

Post by flakwell hammer »

I agree the premier league and sky in my option have ruined football for 70 per cent of normal fans, it's all about the big boys
Imagine if the top six buggered off and formed some super euro sky **** league the premier league would be brilliant lots of similar sized teams all playing out of their skins as they'd all have a chance of winning the league every few years
I don't even feel like we have a chance in the cups anymore it's been so long since we've won something
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

flakwell hammer wrote:I agree the premier league and sky in my option have ruined football for 70 per cent of normal fans, it's all about the big boys
Imagine if the top six buggered off and formed some super euro sky **** league the premier league would be brilliant lots of similar sized teams all playing out of their skins as they'd all have a chance of winning the league every few years
I don't even feel like we have a chance in the cups anymore it's been so long since we've won something
I agree with your last sentence. In fact, I have come round to thinking West Ham will never win another FA or League cup again in my lifetime (I hope to have another 20 years or so). I am therefore happy that I have at least seen us win the ECWC in 65, three FA cups in 64, 75 and 80 and of course the World cup in 66. Younger supporters can only hope that one day West Ham will be sold to mega rich owners because that seems the only way success can be achieved these days.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1319 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Yeah, we weren't good but Swansea were terrible, for all their possession. 0-0 would have been a fair result, but in the second half, we were definitely the team that looked a bit more likely to score.