Burnley 1-1 West Ham Utd (14/10/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

brothernero
Has liked: 749 likes
Total likes: 763 likes

Re: Burnley v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by brothernero »

mattyD wrote:.If Bilic starts with Carroll next game he must be ****ing insane.
I don't have a Million Pounds, but I bet you anyway that amount that Carroll will not start next game. :wink:
bowltorious
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Absolutely gutted, ref is a **** and so is Carroll, we win with 11 easy.
Langley Hammer

Post by Langley Hammer »

WorcesterWHU wrote:
I dare say it's because they're used to scoring first and they're not used to having to force the issue with the ball.
I don't think Burnley have won in recent memory after going a goal down.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

A decent point methinks. Although Atwell gave Mee in particular a lot of rope, he also missed a stonewall penalty against Hart. We also, on balance, came out on the right side of the lucky bounces: the ricochet off the post that hits Hart and doesn't go in being the best example.

Slav does need to address the discipline within the squad though. While AC wasn't quite as stupid as Arnie against Southampton, committing a worse offence less than two minutes after his first booking cost us the win.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Feel right mugged off. I always expect us to beat this mob
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Another borefest and no positives other than a good point with 10 men and defense pretty solid. Antonio frustrated, midfield couldn't keep the ball (or stop it coming through) and Hernandez non existent because of the set up for Carroll. How many more times is Bilic going to give Hernandez a bit part so he can fit Carroll in? Play one or the other and set the team up for either.

Lanzini is not a Messiah, you can't expect him alone to turn us into a totally cohesive team. He can add flair and imagination now and again but that's it, the other problems still exist. Apart from Hernandez obviously not being amused, you can see the whole team are not happy with what they are doing.

Bilic survives but the underlying problems remain - the team are not playing well and his player selection and tactics are ineffective at best and diabolical at worse.

I'll take the point but not the poor performance again, even taking in the 10 men scenario.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Everton want Carroll in January. Ithik we should sell. We played a lot of good football with 10 men because we kept the ball on the deck. With 11 men we would have won. I'd like to see the same team but with Sakho in for Carroll
WTID
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by WTID »

Really disappointed we didn’t hang on to the 3 points. Really stupid from AC I think we would of won quite comfortably had we kept 11 on the pitch. Shame but I would of taken a point before the game.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Hamburger wrote:.Bilic survives but the underlying problems remain - the team are not playing well and his player selection and tactics are ineffective at best and diabolical at worse.

I'll take the point but not the poor performance again, even taking in the 10 men scenario.
what on earth are you talking about?
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

That was not a poor performance, well done Slav.
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

So sure I have to post twice. read this and then wind your ****ing neck in son

Your words son and you can't even figure it out against Burnley let alone Germany, Brazil etc etc Sort it out son
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 40796.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“I’d love to be back in the England squad,” said Andy Carroll, back in his native North East, getting on for near enough six years since he became the nation’s most expensive footballer.
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Peaches wrote:Everton want Carroll in January. Ithik we should sell. We played a lot of good football with 10 men because we kept the ball on the deck. With 11 men we would have won. I'd like to see the same team but with Sakho in for Carroll

If they do want him and i can see why, then it would be a no brainer to,offload him, we played some great one touch today with him off the pitch and that is going to improve with more game time with Hernandez, Lanzini, Pedro and Sahko
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

That move involving Lanzini, Obiang, Hernandez which culminated in a shot from Antonio was a thing of beauty

More like that please
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I would offload Carroll too, the negatives seem to outweigh the positives. With Hernandez we can play a different way than with Carroll forced in the squad.

How many games will he be banned for? Hopefully Hernandez performs well enough during carroll's absence so there is no option but to make him our out and out striker.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

hammer1975 wrote:That move involving Lanzini, Obiang, Hernandez which culminated in a shot from Antonio was a thing of beauty

More like that please
It was Parker > Noble > Di Michele > Cole all over again wasn't it? Shame big Mic stuffed up the final effort, was superb...
brothernero
Has liked: 749 likes
Total likes: 763 likes

Post by brothernero »

Did some really think that was a poor performance? Really??

Before Carroll was sent off we were winning and passing the ball around nicely and looking to create and get in behind Burnley. The Red Card changed that and was always going to make things tougher for us. But even then we still created a couple of good chances, one which came after some wonderful pass and movement.

In the end we were undone but a great cross and header after we had had to play with 10 men for an hour.

Burnley are a decent side and one that is very very hard to beat at home.

Good point, some luck and some bad luck on our part and a half decent performance.

Carroll aside, you cannot knock the team or the manager tonight.

All in my humble opinion of course.
Hammered in Singapore
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Hammered in Singapore »

Should have been, could have been, wasn’t to be at the end. Up until Carroll’s needless red card, there was only one team in the game. Let’s get the Carroll red card over and dine with. He deserved to be sent off. You just don’t jump leading with your elbow. He was stupid and his actions cost us points. I hope the club fine him. After his red card, we sank ever deeper. I thought Reid and Fonte played very well today. Looked solid. I thought for a while we might have nicked it. The midfield of Kouyate and Obiang worked hard. There was a little bit of magic in the 2nd half where Obiang, Lanzini, and Antonio carved open their defense, on the ground, one touch, fast and very neat ... sadly Antonio didn't hit right at all. But it showed what we can do... on the floor. For their goal, I thought Cresswell could have dealt with the danger better, he didn't get tight enough, allowed the cross and bang, goal. Perhaps, Masuake could have come on earlier for Lanzini and there for shored the left side up. Not sure if Sakho coming in for Hernandez was right either. Overall a game we should have won, lost in my opinion by Carrolls rush of blood.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Thought we were good today. Even with 10 men we were solid and fluid. Lanzini back is huge for us in possession. Always looking for for the ball and always moving.

Think bilic got it spot on today after Carroll got sent off. Obiang gave Lanzini some license to get involved. I love Antonio and may annoy a few people here but he really need to work on his team play while on the ball. When he gets within 25 yards he just wants to shoot. Today on 3 occasions he could have picked a pass and either Hernandez or Lanzini was in, love him but he has to stop shooting from everywhere and start to pass to players in better positions than him.

Looking forward to seeing them 3 more often. Change Sakho for Carroll and we will be causing all sorts of problems for many teams.

All in all as we played with 10 men for so long. I'm. Not overly annoyed after today.

COYI
PrincipleHammer

Post by PrincipleHammer »

ballantine wrote:
Principle Hammer - Why with 10 minutes left do we suddenly all drop behind the halfway line? If we just played our normal game like we had done for 80 minutes previously, we wouldn’t have invited in all that pressure so they had that many chances to level. So frustrating after a really good performance.

Ballantine - It's almost as we'd played most of the game with fewer men are getting tired or something.
Are we not on the same side? Why the sarcasm? Just a decent conversation would suffice. I just think we should have had one or two up to hold the ball more instead of every time the ball going past the halfway line, there was a Burnley player to hit it straight back in again.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Hernandez scores against Brighton on Friday. I have no issue with him having the hump at coming off. He works hard, does well and wants to be finding the back of the net. He should get a start in the middle next Friday and I think he will show why he should be starting there.

We join Tottenham and Liverpool in teams who have only managed a point against Burnley, so not exactly a bad result. Some good stuff on show with all our players back, sure we'll be fine, and confident for next week.