Burnley 1-1 West Ham Utd (14/10/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

BostonHammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Burnley v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by BostonHammer »

I wonder, if Bilic read this thread, would he be less likely to start Carroll?

Is it not bloody OBVIOUS we should start Chicha and Sakho together up front, playing our proper wingers in their position, with Lanzini behind the front two, and Kouyate behind him acting in support of our best back four?

FFS
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

No Carroll in the squad to come back from Burnley.

Not sure if that means he's not in at all, as they are going up by train, so don't know if he's travelling up with them for the game and then back separately.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

He’s probably going to go home for a day...

Either that or we are leaving him there.... :)
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

BostonHammer wrote:I wonder, if Bilic read this thread, would he be less likely to start Carroll?

Is it not bloody OBVIOUS we should start Chicha and Sakho together up front, playing our proper wingers in their position, with Lanzini behind the front two, and Kouyate behind him acting in support of our best back four?

FFS
So you’d play a front 6 of

Kouyate
Antonio Lanzini Arnautovic
Sakho Hernandez

We’d get absolutely rinsed.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

dodger wrote:Hernandez was back on Thursday and didn't play for Mexico in their second match, so he should be pretty well rested. Don't buy that jet lag would hold him back either - Reid went much further (to Japan) and is fully expected to start.

If he is put on the bench it is for tactical reasons by Bilic. As I said I would start him up top with Sakho and Carroll on the bench.

I see it the same way. He should be starting alongside Sakho. Carroll's the one out of form.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

To be fair, one up top has hardly been working for the past 18 months.

I too would be inclined to start Sakho and Hernandez up front
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

HammerAl wrote:What I'd like Slav to do:

Hart
Kouyate Fonte Reid
Zabaleta Lanzini Obiang Masuaku
Antonio Hernandez Arnautovic

What I think Slav will do:

Hart
Zabaleta Fonte Reid Cresswell
Kouyate Noble
Antonio Lanzini Arnautovic
Carroll

I think Sakho does deserve a chance but not sure where he'd fit in to either formation (Slav won't drop Carroll) and I don't want to shoe-horn him into an unnatural position on the wing.

Which is why I'd go with 352.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Cresswell starts according to Ex
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Surely there is no reason for Carroll to be starting now, we need to start taking our game to the opposition

We finally have a chance to play our first choice attacking four, we saw what three of them started to do against Spurs but now can add Lanzini in there too.

I would very disappointed in bilic if Carroll started after his recent performances in particular

I'd like to see:

-------------------- Hart ----------------------
Zabaleta -- Reid -- Ogbonna -- Cresswell
----------- Noble --- Kouyate -----------
Antonio ------- Lanzini ------- Arnautovic
--------------- Hernandez --------------

Adrian, Fonte, Masuaku, Obiang, Ayew, Sakho, Carroll

Although I would be very tempted to play Masuaku instead of Arnautovic and not much between picking Kouyate over Obiang just thinking of fitness as the later has been out.
Colours never run

MD_HM wrote:Surely there is no reason for Carroll to be starting now, we need to start taking our game to the opposition

I would very disappointed in bilic if Carroll started after his recent performances in particular

I'd like to see:

-------------------- Hart ----------------------
Zabaleta -- Reid -- Ogbonna -- Cresswell
----------- Noble --- Kouyate -----------
Antonio ------- Lanzini ------- Arnautovic
--------------- Hernandez --------------

Adrian, Fonte, Masuaku, Obiang, Ayew, Sakho, Carroll

What's your reasoning behind starting Ogbonna based on what you just said about Carroll (which I agree with completely)?

You're clearly not alone, I just don't understand the hold he has over people's opinion he should play right now as opposed to others who have been in form like Fonte you put on the bench, when he's been 1 of the most if not the poorest player of all that's played for us this season thus far contributing to all the games we've conceded 3 goals or more, yet go to clean sheets when he's taken out. The contrast in results alone is stark and I wouldn't jeopardise that for the sake of playing him. If I was Fonte, I'd be pissed off making way for him after being in good form that's led to clean sheets.
Beavis Danzig
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

coyi27 wrote:Cresswell starts according to Ex
can someone not put a gag on this dickhead? who benefits from having the team leaked early other than the opposition?
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Sakho deserves his chance. I don't want to see 70 minutes of Carroll standing still 30 yards from goal tussling with a CB and giving away free kicks while he moans to the ref*

*If he starts I hope he smashes in 3 and makes me look stupid......
MD_HM

Post by MD_HM »

Colours never run wrote:
What's your reasoning behind starting Ogbonna based on what you just said about Carroll (which I agree with completely)?

You're clearly not alone, I just don't understand the hold he has over people's opinion he should play right now as opposed to others who have been in form like Fonte you put on the bench, when he's been 1 of the most if not the poorest player of all that's played for us this season thus far contributing to all the games we've conceded 3 goals or more, yet go to clean sheets when he's taken out. The contrast in results alone is stark and I wouldn't jeopardise that for the sake of playing him. If I was Fonte, I'd be pissed off making way for him after being in good form that's led to clean sheets.
It's a matter of opinion, I think Fonte is a donkey, he just boots it out too much for my liking whereas I think Ogbonna tries to play a ball. Also think he is better in the air, faster and more of a presence. Wasn't that long ago he was being linked with 30m move to Chelsea whereas we are Fonte's last payday!

I think it's hard to blame all our goals against just on the defence and stand by the belief our lack of quality in attack has resulted in most of the pressure at the back.

Although injured I'd of had Collins over Fonte as well, and although unpopular Rice as well... just don't rate him (watch him score the winner now :D)
MD_HM

Post by MD_HM »

smuts wrote:Sakho deserves his chance. I don't want to see 70 minutes of Carroll standing still 30 yards from goal tussling with a CB and giving away free kicks while he moans to the ref*

*If he starts I hope he smashes in 3 and makes me look stupid......
If we were to play two proper strikers then I too would opt for Sakho and Hernandez, however just can't see it so would rather a winger than a striker out of position again

Sakho should be above Carroll to get on the pitch

I've always liked Carroll as well but this year had looked poor
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

If nothing else at least the weather is going to be mild so no need to pack the arctic weather gear.
Beavis Danzig
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

suits us if we're going up there with the intention of playing football rather than mining for points.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

I'm looking forward to a few beers in the cricket club. Hopefully the weather holds up.

This has, however, got 1-0 Burnley written all over it.
gouldie

Post by gouldie »

coyi27 wrote:Cresswell starts according to Ex
This obvious info actually gets a full write up from the express. Journalism is almost completely dead!

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... ll-Burnley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Colours never run

Like others, it also really bothers me that team news is leaked prior to announcing it on the day. It should always be revealed close to kick off so we keep our cards close to our chest. Ridiculous this kind of info gets out and I as a fan get nothing out of it being revealed so stop ****ing doing It!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

We're going to look back on this match and identify it as the week Lanzini starting ensuring he was on his way to Moscow, this Summer.

A new pathfinder to Hernandez's runs is what's called for.

Manu-Mission.

8-)

0-2 Irons.