Burnley 1-1 West Ham Utd (14/10/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Odessa
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Re: Burnley v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Odessa »

dvincent wrote: Burnley Manchester Road --> Manchester Victoria --> Manchester Piccadilly takes roughly 90 minutes but only runs once an hour, Otherwise its a train to wigan/preston and transferring. You should have at least half an hour to spare either way.
Cheers. I assume the train to Manchester Victoria isn't one of those two carriage sprinters?
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

I'd like to see the team set up for Chico. Sakho probably thinks what more does he need to do to get a start. Why does Carroll deserve a start ahead of him? Carroll & Chico doesn't work.

We have a similar problem with Masuaku & Cresswell, the former has been much better going forward and he probably thinks he's done enough for a start. What to do with Arnie & Ayew our two record signings that aren't fitting in or performing. I don't envy Bilic, all I know is we have to set the team up for Hernandez, we have to get him scoring as we know he can. Give the man a chance at least. Pandering to Carroll & Sakho must be so frustrating for him.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Hamburger wrote:.
I'd like to see the team set up for Chico. Sakho probably thinks what more does he need to do to get a start. Why does Carroll deserve a start ahead of him? Carroll & Chico doesn't work.

We have a similar problem with Masuaku & Cresswell, the former has been much better going forward and he probably thinks he's done enough for a start. What to do with Arnie & Ayew our two record signings that aren't fitting in or performing. I don't envy Bilic, all I know is we have to set the team up for Hernandez, we have to get him scoring as we know he can. Give the man a chance at least. Pandering to Carroll & Sakho must be so frustrating for him.
I agree with most of this.

We need to give Hernandez a proper chance to thrive. He should be given a run in the team as our main striker and Lanzini playing off him. Hernandez is the first true goalscorer we've had in ages, so we need to use him correctly rather than messing about with his position or trying accommodate Carroll. You don't see Lukaku or Kane being asked to play a bit wider or to play off of another attacker.

On Masuaku and Cresswell, for me the situation is clear cut. Masuaku is a better player and should start. A few have questioned his defending but I can recall Cresswell having quite a few nightmare performances defensively himself. As for what they offer in attack, Masuaku is a clear winner.

Finally, on Ayew and Arnautovic, there is a big difference between them, even though it's easy to lump them together as they were both big money signings. Ayew has had over a year to prove himself and has done well only sporadically. For me, he is a useful player to bring on but should only start if better options are injured. Arnautovic has barely had a chance to impress. He messed up against Southampton, but has looked quality in bursts as well. I'd give him a run in the team as well, starting with Burnley.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Agree with the above too.
I understand why Carroll was the key player in the Huddersfield and Swansea matches because we wanted to grind out a result. We need to go back to playing a mobile front 2 which forces us to play fast fluid football and also allows us to press from the front.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

dodger wrote:Hernandez is the first true goalscorer we've had in ages, so we need to use him correctly rather than messing about with his position or trying accommodate Carroll.

On Masuaku and Cresswell, for me the situation is clear cut. Masuaku is a better player and should start.

Arnautovic has barely had a chance to impress. He messed up against Southampton, but has looked quality in bursts as well. I'd give him a run in the team as well, starting with Burnley.
Some will disagree but I cant remember a squad of ours having this much strength in depth. There can be arguments made for all three of our strikers starting. We also have options on each flank and some depth in regard to defensive options. Carvalho in midfield would have been the cherry on the cake. However, we still have decent options in midfield.

For me it's Sakho or Hernandez to start with Carroll a great threat off the bench. Masuaku for me is a gem and could arguably play at left back behind Arne at home or left wing in front of Cresswell when we play away.
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

Looking forward to this, three of us on the 09:35 out of King's Cross. Burnley's always a good away day, plus I have a 100% win record to defend at Turf Moor!

-------------------Hart
Zabaleta---Reid (c)---Fonte---Cresswell
----------------Kouyate
Antonio------Lanzini-------Masuaku
---------Hernandez---Sakho

Convert Arthur into a winger, Slav :thup:
His legs have gone
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by His legs have gone »

------------------Hart
Zabaleta---Reid (c)---Fonte---Masuaku
---------Kouyate - Noble
Sakho------Lanzini------- Antonio
---------Hernandez---

Saw Antonio saying last week his favourite position to play is on the left, I guess he never got the chance to do that in his first season because of Payet & he showed he is good on the right. Can be infuriating coming inside and then taking a long shot but hopefully with Masuaku over lapping and Lanzini wanting a simple pass he will keep his head up and make the right pass as & when. When the ball is on the left Sakho comes in as the right sided striker, with Zab pushing up to the RW.

Mad to think in the same week Cresswell starts for England he probably won't get in our first team.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Personally don't think Antonio is any better on the left than he is on the right. If anything, he's more wasteful. He seems to take it past players easier on the right too. Just because Antonio says it's his favourite position, it doesn't mean he should play there.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Still think we have to play 3 at back. Zab is perfect for me in a 3 And also gives Arthur free reign.Keep it solid in the middle allows Lanzini a bit of a free roll. let the front 3 and wing backs do the damage.
———zab —Reid—fonte
—-byram—Lanzini—kouyate—mas
———Antonio—-Hernandez—sakho

Chelsea have shown it’s not always about playing the best players.But the best players for the system.Which is why I’d start by ram,I was quite impressed with him pre season.And he has the energy to get up and down.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

GK: Hart
RB: Zabaleta
CB: Fonte
CB: Reid
LB: Cress
CM: Kouyate
CM: Lanzini
RW: Antonio
LW: Arnautovic
AM: Ayew
CF: Hernandez
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Just went into ladbrokes to do weekend Acca.Was a virtual horse race,with hammers flag 10/1.Had to have cheeky tenner and it won :lol:
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

so far every game this season has gone with the odds (except west brom, where we got a point more than expected).

odds are still against us but are a bit tighter for this one than previous away games with good reason to my mind. get lanzini on the ball early and often.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Wouldn't expect Chicha to start this game. He's not even back with the team yet from international duty.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:Wouldn't expect Chicha to start this game. He's not even back with the team yet from international duty.
Bloody hell... did he fly with Monarch?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:Wouldn't expect Chicha to start this game. He's not even back with the team yet from international duty.
Fast forward to Saturday where people lose their **** that he isn't starting and want Bilic out for it.
MooresTheHero
Has liked: 1200 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by MooresTheHero »

is Obiang still on the sick?
MooresTheHero
Has liked: 1200 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by MooresTheHero »

If he is OK

----------------------Hart

-------------Zabs--Reid--Ogbonna

Antonio-----Obiang--Kouyate----Maskuku

---------------------Lanzini

----------------Sakho--Hernadez

:crest:
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

It will be Carroll up front again, nodding any long balls he manages to win on to nobody in particular again. When we are 2-0 down, Sakho will come on and we start to actually play some football but all too late. Hernandez too jet lagged to participate.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

johnnyb wrote:It will be Carroll up front again, nodding any long balls he manages to win on to nobody in particular again. When we are 2-0 down, Sakho will come on and we start to actually play some football but all too late. Hernandez too jet lagged to participate.
Sorry to be so pessimistic but it annoys me greatly that Carroll is still considered a starter these days.
IanBishopLegend7

Post by IanBishopLegend7 »

I want Carroll to play.