Burnley 1-1 West Ham Utd (14/10/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

@dave_boy
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: Burnley v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by @dave_boy »

Every away-day facility should include a beer tent :thup:
mooro_19841

Post by mooro_19841 »

Dont want to come across like I am digging Slav out but I personally thought the Chicha / Sakho sub was a poor one.

We had a spell just before the sub where Lanzini, Obiang, Chicha and Antonio were linking really well and looking a threat. Chica was also holding the ball up extremely well and he looked in the zone.

The sub was the "easy" one to make, but as soon as it was made we looked a different team. Sakho offers running in behind and that didnt suit us at that stage of the game.

Just an observation that is all. It was the obvious sub to make, a striker for a striker when down to 10 men etc. But I think it killed us a bit.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

On Carroll's cards - I actually think the first one was a little harsh. His eyes are on the ball and he's using his arms to give him height. Yes he connects with the player, but the jump itself is how pretty much any player would jump for the ball.

However, the second is (in my opinion) worthy of a straight red, and if the shoe was on the other foot and an opposition player only saw yellow for that I'd be fuming about it.
WickfordHammer86

Post by WickfordHammer86 »

mooro_19841 wrote:Dont want to come across like I am digging Slav out but I personally thought the Chicha / Sakho sub was a poor one.

We had a spell just before the sub where Lanzini, Obiang, Chicha and Antonio were linking really well and looking a threat. Chica was also holding the ball up extremely well and he looked in the zone.

The sub was the "easy" one to make, but as soon as it was made we looked a different team. Sakho offers running in behind and that didnt suit us at that stage of the game.

Just an observation that is all. It was the obvious sub to make, a striker for a striker when down to 10 men etc. But I think it killed us a bit.
Agreed Mooro.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

...i was pissed as a fart and didnt even realise carroll had gone off...
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

mooro_19841 wrote:Dont want to come across like I am digging Slav out but I personally thought the Chicha / Sakho sub was a poor one.
In hindsight it's easy to agree with that. At the time, I thought it made sense (putting aside that I personally would never ever play Sakho again). We needed fresh legs, we were being pushed back, and I thought he'd offer the opportunity to knock the ball long with him chasing it down, allowing us to move our players somewhat further up the field - or even hit them on the counter. It didn't work like that, but I don't think it was anything strange with that sub at all.

(The last two times he's subbed Hernandez I found it quite baffling, just to be happily surprised when it turned out to be game changers, so guess this might all be telling of how much I know about football)
Goldsmith

Post by Goldsmith »

mooro_19841 wrote:We had a spell just before the sub where Lanzini, Obiang, Chicha and Antonio were linking really well and looking a threat. Chica was also holding the ball up extremely well and he looked in the zone.
The one particular move that ended with the Antonio shot was quite incredible
Goldsmith

Post by Goldsmith »

On a side note, Kouyate showed he is still very much capable of winning the ball back and being disciplined... will make a huge difference.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Couldn't help watch the Newcastle highlights with a bit of envy - lots of movement, quick passing, very organised and easy on the ball with a much lesser squad.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

YorksHammer wrote:However, the second is (in my opinion) worthy of a straight red, and if the shoe was on the other foot and an opposition player only saw yellow for that I'd be fuming about it.
This.
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

Arnie had another anonymous game before he was rightly subbed for Obiang at half time. The only time I noticed him was the histrionics when we correctly penalised for a foul.

Over £40 mil spent on Ayew and Arnie looks like a total waste.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

FAH_1973 wrote:Arnie had another anonymous game before he was rightly subbed for Obiang at half time. The only time I noticed him was the histrionics when we correctly penalised for a foul.

Over £40 mil spent on Ayew and Arnie looks like a total waste.
Don't worry, he'll easily show us what he's capable of in time apparently.
Not sure when that time will start mind or how long it's likely to last either.
traxop

Post by traxop »

Are people really writing off Arnautovic already? How can anyone judge a player when he has only had around 200 minutes of game time? Blimey, even Zaza had more time to prove himself.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

traxop wrote:Are people really writing off Arnautovic already? How can anyone judge a player when he has only had around 200 minutes of game time? Blimey, even Zaza had more time to prove himself.
Completely agree fella.

I believe Arnie will come good and be a solid player for us this year. Not too sure about Ayew however..
Ferret

Post by Ferret »

mattyD wrote:Couldn't help watch the Newcastle highlights with a bit of envy - lots of movement, quick passing, very organised and easy on the ball with a much lesser squad.
I hate Newcastle and totally agree. i would also add that Benitez is a far better manager than Bilic, he basically has a side full of championship level players flying high.

We have a cocktail of international players limping along like an injured fox!. :(
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

traxop wrote:Are people really writing off Arnautovic already? How can anyone judge a player when he has only had around 200 minutes of game time? Blimey, even Zaza had more time to prove himself.
I saw a bit of application and effort from Zaza, I've yet to see any of the from Arnautovic in any of the games that I've attended so far. I've seen plenty of him lunging in and playing the player instead of the ball.
I hope he does come good, I never said I was writing him off but I haven't see him show any real quality so far.
trevshead10may1980

Post by trevshead10may1980 »

Hammer.CA wrote:
I saw a bit of application and effort from Zaza, I've yet to see any of the from Arnautovic in any of the games that I've attended so far. I've seen plenty of him lunging in and playing the player instead of the ball.
I hope he does come good, I never said I was writing him off but I haven't see him show any real quality so far.
I agree. Arnie should be on the bench, so far he has been a waste of space, a total waste of money.
flakwell hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by flakwell hammer »

watched Valencia v Betis last night Valencia won 6-3 and Zaza scored his 7th goal of the season, and is 2nd highest scorer in La Liga.

Maybe we need to give players a bit more time to settle in.

Football is all about confidence if we win comfortably Friday we will be a totally different team moving forward and players like Arnie,Lanzini,Hernandez, and Antonio will start to really come into their own.

I think we have a decent squad who are just struggling for a little bit of confidence there was a lovely move Saturday which resulted in Antonio forcing a decent save.

That was the best move I've seen from us all season, we will get there i promise.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Hmmm. That move happened in 58th minute. Chicharito went off in the the 75th. For 17 minutes after that he was hardly involved.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Ferret wrote:
I hate Newcastle and totally agree. i would also add that Benitez is a far better manager than Bilic, he basically has a side full of championship level players flying high.

We have a cocktail of international players limping along like an injured fox!. :(
yep