West Ham Utd 0-3 Brighton & Hove Albion (20/10/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: West Ham United v Brighton and Hove Albion match thread

Post by richneal »

1. Well done Brighton. Better team won - and deserved to win by a country mile.
2. We barely won a header in their box whole match, but persisted with those rather aimless crosses for the whole 90.
3. I'd argue that it was tactics and strategy that were the prime factors in yesterday's loss.
4. Before the match I would have been calling for a 3-5-2 but without a fit second striker . . . hindsight being 20/20 etc 4-4-2 would have been the choice with Creswell at LB and Masuaku LM. But without a second striker . . .
5. Obiang a factor for the first two goals - ball-watching instead of marking his man for the first, and over-committing at the edge of the box for the second.
6. Arnautovic not showing us a single penny of the transfer fee. Pedestrian doesn't even begin to describe it.
7. Ayew less than a shining star as well . . .
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1972 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

It's been hilarious in Brighton today. ****ing hilarious.
jevs
Has liked: 482 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by jevs »

Monkeybubbles wrote:It's been hilarious in Brighton today. ****ing hilarious.
This^^^ My former boss left me a 5 minute voice mail playing good old Sussex by the sea.
garage
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by garage »

That 1st goal was it far in the corner hart didn't seem to move
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Everything has been said. Suffice to say there's clearly something wrong in the state of Denmark.

My first game this season - if you'd have told me two years ago that I wouldn't be saying that until late October I'd have laughed at you. If it's my last game this season I won't be over-bothered. That genuinely has nothing to do with the football before someone says it - I've seen worse West Ham teams than even the insipid, static, gutless, beaten-too-soon one I saw last night. I wish I didn't work weekends and away tickets were readily available. But I've come to terms with all this now - it is what it is and I'm not a full part of it any more. Hey ho.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I went to a bit of a family get together this evening. My brother in law is very good friends with Chris Hughton and he showed me some texts they exchanged about the match. CH was worried about their lack of strikers and said that anything they got from the game would be a bonus. They also spoke with each other and CH basically said West Ham were so predictable that he set up and trained to counter just one style of play (pump crosses into the middle) and lo and behold, he hit the jackpot. He also mentioned how well their two central defenders played.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we were so slow and pumped crosses in for carroll who wasnt there. even when he has been playing we have been poor but this was a new level.

I expect a reaction at spurs and palace and hope we win but we all know that the squad is badly coached and lacks a system. That allied to a lack of fitness,poor training and numerous injuries suggests one thing, that the manager is responsible and should go.

you can blame GSB for a lot of things but not friday`s performance or lack of it.

if they dont sack him then they must be blamed if it continues.

If bilic is still in charge at Christmas we will be bottom and unlikely to survive !
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

The owners can be blamed, for a scattergun transfer policy and failing to back Bilic in the window. This has been brewing for about 18 months. It's difficult to get a team playing his you want when it's just a bunch of players thrown together and half if them you didn't want.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

can you really blame them for his awful subs,poor tactics and lack of fitness ?

on paper we have a top 8 squad.

he wanted arnautovic who could not beat a 37 year old full back.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

hammerman11 wrote:can you really blame them for his awful subs,poor tactics and lack of fitness ?

on paper we have a top 8 squad.

he wanted arnautovic who could not beat a 37 year old full back.
Awful subs?

I have seen 2 match winning dubs this season.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

sakho scoring last minute against swansea the last one.

friday night he took off arnautovic and brought on a CM in fernandez when we were 2 or 3 down.

surely it should have been cresswell on at LB and arthur at LW as he was the only one trying on that side whilst arnie jogged aroundf.
antonio should have come off as clearly unfit

slav is responsible for getting thisw group of players performing so badly for so long

tactics were bung in crosses from both sides for hernandez. great stuff by the tactical master.

bilic out he stinks the place out now.
spod
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 287 likes

Post by spod »

My abiding memory from watching it on TV is Bilic on the touchline, wringing his hands and looking absolutely wretched.

If I could find the footage I’d love to turn it into a gif. It would sum up our situation perfectly.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

he is spent. run out of ideas and cant motivate these highly paid players to at least turn up on the pitch.
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

Hart was at fault for the first two goals.

A statue for the free-kick and should of done a lot better with the shot, even though he was slightly out of position, it was a straight forward save.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

steps wrote:Hart was at fault for the first two goals.

A statue for the free-kick and should of done a lot better with the shot, even though he was slightly out of position, it was a straight forward save.
Laughable. Have a look at the defending before you think about laying any blame there.
Carrerageorge

Post by Carrerageorge »

richneal wrote:1. Well done Brighton. Better team won - and deserved to win by a country mile.
2. We barely won a header in their box whole match, but persisted with those rather aimless crosses for the whole 90.
3. I'd argue that it was tactics and strategy that were the prime factors in yesterday's loss.
4. Before the match I would have been calling for a 3-5-2 but without a fit second striker . . . hindsight being 20/20 etc 4-4-2 would have been the choice with Creswell at LB and Masuaku LM. But without a second striker . . .
5. Obiang a factor for the first two goals - ball-watching instead of marking his man for the first, and over-committing at the edge of the box for the second.
6. Arnautovic not showing us a single penny of the transfer fee. Pedestrian doesn't even begin to describe it.
7. Ayew less than a shining star as well . . .
Totally agree with point 6, less so with 5 and 7.Antonio, arguably one of our best headers playing, was also marking Murray for the first while Ayew would have done more than Arnautovic if he had started.Making this swap at half time instead of taking Kouyate off at half time would have left the midfield less weak.Although Hart made two great saves his hand was weak for their second and for the first he just didn't seem to attempt to move.
We dominated the first half in attacking,corners and possession and , given the ability we showed to score when two behind against the Saints and Spuds didn't make me too concerned about a one goal deficit.My neutral friend watching with me thought we had the better of the first half despite the score.
My worry, despite the poor keeping/defending for the first two goals , was that did did not score with 16 shots to their 7, and their keeper was not really tested.
Carrerageorge

Post by Carrerageorge »

Agree , he seems so slow to move.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

hammerdivone wrote:Laughable. Have a look at the defending before you think about laying any blame there.
The defending was atrocious, but, for the first one especially, so was the goal-keeping.

He went down in chapters and, as he was about to hit the ground, he moved his right arm away from the flight of the ball.
Graza

Post by Graza »

prophet:marginal wrote:
The defending was atrocious, but, for the first one especially, so was the goal-keeping.

He went down in chapters and, as he was about to hit the ground, he moved his right arm away from the flight of the ball.
There was no defending for the first. The second Obiang was unlucky he got a foot to the ball and their boy ran onto it and too a swing more in hope than expectation. Hart, at his best i.e. a few years ago would have save both of them.

The inability to understand that bombing balls into the box at Hernandez and then Ayew and Hernandez (about 5ft if they stood on each other shoulders) against two clunking great championship center halves lands on the manager first and the players second.

I for one think we missed Noble out there, not because he would have had the quality to waltz through them like Payer vs Middlesbrough but because being beaten like that would have hurt him and he'd have rallied the troops. He could hardly have done worse...
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Something I’ve just remembered. Quite often the other night the big screens showed nothing but he club badge, rather than the time elapsed or video replays or whatever. What was that all about then? It seemed that almost every time I glanced at the screen to see how long was left there was nothing there.