West Ham Utd 0-3 Brighton & Hove Albion (20/10/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Re: West Ham United v Brighton and Hove Albion match thread

Post by Fishdo »

Screens weren’t working mate...
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

I don’t know about that. They were on some of the time, then off, then on again. Well, not actually off, but not displaying time elapsed and ****.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

the pink palermo wrote: Given the fact Slavens days are clearly numbered , he would be my No.1 choice .
I suspect he would turn us down though .
Wouldn't argue there Pinkers...

A deeply impressive man. And , I think, very underrated.

You see, on the pitch, what he's been doing all week.

Who knows, they might still go down. But he's a very decent coach imo.
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Estuary »

It all kicked off in the Directors box by tge look of things .
Royal East PP. A group jumped up and cheered the third Brighton goal, got told to respect where they were and tore into the ST holders. Nobody was sure if it was Brighton support or West Ham as they left immediately, but the lads who were attacked and defended themselves are regulars and will probably get bans for their troubles.
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

As for the game, we set up wrongly. Lanzini should have played further forward, anyone could have linked defence to midfield with the lack of pressing that Brighton did it didnt need him there picking up from the back four, Noble does that for fun for example. What the game was crying out for was someone in the pocket to get Chico in. But for whatever reason Slaven didnt see that as being a way to combating the nine across the back, Big Sam tactic that Houghton deployed.
When Bilic gets it wrong he gets in 100% wrong.
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

A deeply impressive man. And , I think, very underrated.

You see, on the pitch, what he's been doing all week.

Who knows, they might still go down. But he's a very decent coach imo
Totally agree that Chris is an impressive man, but that Brighton performance on Sat was straight out of the Big Sam bus parking coaching manual, and we fell for it hook line a sinker. We made three errors and they scored three goals.
madhammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by madhammer »

We sit in the BMU, and for the 2nd goal I was convinced at the time that Reid should have dealt with what was at the time a simple hoof downfield by either heading it back to Hart or taking a touch and passing it back to Hart. Instead he tried a ridiculous sort of half-header in to the path of Obiang in an attempt to keep an attack going, which created unnecessary pressure which moments later led to the counter attack for the goal. Watching the highlights they only start after Brighton close down Obiang and win the ball back, so I can't re-watch to see if what i thought at the time was indeed true.

However, at the time i was convinced that was the option Reid should of taken, and i was equally convinced that he chose not to because he thought he would have been booed as previous moves had been when the ball went either sideways or backwards.

Ultimately, the point i'm trying to make is I now believe the situation surrounding the club, stadium, owners, manager, signings, broken promises, etc... have become so toxic that not only is it affecting the players confidence on the pitch but that it is visibly affecting their decision making out there too. And they are now making wrong decisions based on how they think the crowd might react. For example,
I thought our attacking players were equally guilty of tossing in aimless crosses rather than being patient and keeping possession and looking for the gaps. Again because it's what they thought the crowd wanted to see rather than what they thought might be the best way to break down a packed defence with 2 x 6ft 3" CBs up against 1 x 5ft 9" STK.

Unfortunately, given that the Owners, Stadium, Players situation won't remedy themselves anytime soon, i'm increasingly resigned to the fact that the only solution to put a halt to this toxic situation is a change of management. While i'm not saying it's right, i fear the situation will only continue to get worse while this current impasse is left to fester and the manager is only ever 1-2 games from having to save his job.