Crystal Palace 2-2 West Ham Utd (28/10/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Re: Crystal Palace v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Jon »

I'll answer my own question - yes he did.

Loftus Cheek had the whole ground to himself for that equaliser..
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

GJH wrote:
Bar an exciting 20 mins v Spurs, I haven't seen anything exciting this season.
The football is exciting, which doesn't necessarily mean it's good for us.

Southampton
Burnley
Huddersfield
Cheltenham
Bolton
Spurs x2
Palace

There has been plenty of entertaining action already this season. Couple that with the entire 1st season and a few games last season, many games under Bilic have been full of action and entertainment both good and bad. And definitely worlds apart from Allardyce style football most of the time.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Colours never run wrote:

Southampton
Burnley
Huddersfield
Cheltenham
Bolton
Spurs x2
Palace

There has been plenty of entertaining action already this season. Couple that with the entire 1st season and a few games last season, many games under Bilic have been full of action and entertainment both good and bad. And definitely worlds apart from Allardyce style football most of the time.
entertaining is all good and well when its going your way

this season we ALMOST came back against spurs at home but we didnt

we ALMOST came back against southampton but we didnt

we threw away leads against palace and burnley

take his 1st season... that 2-3 at Everton .. that was game over until the pen save then we just came back

rod our luck ... many results were due to playing against 10 men because they hacked payet and lanzini to bits.. payet would then score the free kicks

second season teams learnt just let them have the ball... far less dangerous

take a promoted side.. they do well then its "second season syndrome" this happens with managers aswell.. and bilic is suffering from a massive case of it

other teams have sussed him out tactically
GJH

Post by GJH »

Colours never run wrote:

Southampton
Burnley
Huddersfield
Cheltenham
Bolton
Spurs x2
Palace

I didn't see anything exciting from us yesterday, other than Ayew's individual effort. For a neutral, I'm sure yesterday's game was entertaining, but exciting from us? From where I was sitting? No.

Must change my seat.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Thinking about yesterday's game there was, to me, a clear difference in the mindset of the two sides in the second half. Palace were confident they could come back, knowing if they kept pressing we'd give up chances, something we made easier for them by playing so deep meaning the inevitable mistakes and turnovers were that much nearer our goal.

We looked both terrified and waiting for the inevitable at the same time. We looked beaten even when still two up.

Palace played like they were confident they'd get back in the game, unfortunately we played like we expected them to as well.
GJH

Post by GJH »

Colours never run wrote: There has been plenty of entertaining action already this season. Couple that with the entire 1st season and a few games last season, many games under Bilic have been full of action and entertainment both good and bad.
Entire first season was fantastic. We have been way off that mark for a long time. Most games under Bilic this season and many last season were void of action, entertainment and quality. Brighton recently was the worst.
Douthy
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 131 likes

Post by Douthy »

How has the football this season been exciting?

Stats:

1st in PL for long balls

13th in PL for passes

4th in PL for most goals conceded

12th in PL for total shots
GJH

Post by GJH »

Douthy wrote:How has the football this season been exciting?

Stats:

1st in PL for long balls

13th in PL for passes

Must be for goals conceded.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Alright, ok it's all been boring...
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Doc H Ball wrote:I think that's toss.

Without the needless penalty there was only one winner.
To be fair they were creating good chances at the end of the first half too. I was worried we wouldn't hold the 2 goal lead to half time... I was sure we would then put on Carroll for Hernandez and Get Obiang on in m/f.... and feel more robust. But no...
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

irving boleyn wrote:Two defenders between the on form Zaha and the goal and they couldn't stop him from getting it on to his right foot is disappointing.
Indeed, Kouyate seems to encourage him to cut back, rather than show him toward the by-line. Heaven knows why?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4380 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Douthy wrote:How has the football this season been exciting?

Stats:

1st in PL for long balls

13th in PL for passes

Before this afternoon's games we were 8th for possession, shots on target and goals created in open play.....which implies that we are pretty decent in some ways.

We are the worst in the league for sending offs, penalties conceded and 'errors'.

It suggests that we need to slightly rebalance and actually spend a few bob in the defensive areas of the squad.

We've thrown away 5 points in the last few minutes of games v Palace, Southampton and Burnley. That's the difference between where we are and pushing for top 7.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Southampton away was entertaining.
Spurs home was entertaining for 30 mins
Spurs in the cup for the 2nd half

Other than that it has been pretty dull

I can't really think of any game where we have been all over the opposition for a sustained period similar to Palace were all over us yesterday
The Sherriff
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

It was another good away day. Fell in through the door around 3am.

Typical West Ham throwing it away like that at the death, though it was a fair result which ultimately felt like a loss.

Their one danger man was afforded too much space throughout the 2nd half …. Despite his continuous diving and ongoing feud with our support. Massively disappointing nobody felt the need to put a crunching tackle on him. Instead he was sown too much respect.

Antonio had a complete brain fart, bad decision from a very good player. It happens.

Italian International defender gives away needless penalty 4 minutes into the 2nd half. Another brain fart moment.

Good 1st half, bad 2nd.

Another Bi-polar performance.
Colours never run

With regards our goals, I thought they were both excellent in their own right. Free flowing passing football on the deck ending in a smart finish and the other a goal made all of the Strikers own accord with an even better finish.

Goals will never be our problem going forward, its just the unforced errors that lead to goals conceded that needs sorting out once and for all.
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

I for one was screaming at us to counter and for more to join in in the middle. Yes the cross was a mess and they capitalised on it but I wanted us to attack, I want to see us going for a 3rd, I want to leap around and celebrate that 3rd to cap a good day out. It didn't happen and Palace got a thoroughly deserved point out of it.
Colours never run

Porkeyes wrote:I for one was screaming at us to counter and for more to join in in the middle. Yes the cross was a mess and they capitalised on it but I wanted us to attack, I want to see us going for a 3rd, I want to leap around and celebrate that 3rd to cap a good day out. It didn't happen and Palace got a thoroughly deserved point out of it.

I hear you.

Say that Lanzinis pass was cut out by a Palace defender when trying to lay it on for Payet or indeed Payet fluffed his delicate chip over the Keeper to score for 3-1 back in 2015 and they went straight up the other end of the pitch and equalised at the death... Only difference is Lanzini made his pass, Antonio fluffed his. That's not excusing Antonio, just that if he made his pass we'd now all be celebrating another 3-1 win again at Palace and how we've turned a corner and everything back to being positive.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2682 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Colours never run wrote: Only difference is Lanzini made his pass, Antonio fluffed his. That's not excusing Antonio, just that if he made his pass we'd now all be celebrating another 3-1 win again at Palace and how we've turned a corner and everything back to being positive.
Or even if he'd done nothing at all , invited a Crystal Palace defender to him , put the ball out for a throw-in , anything but what he did . Crystal Palace still had plenty of work to do however , it wasn't an Antonio own goal or anything - it was his attitude to the pass that bothered me .

Sometimes there's a fine line between winning and losing or winning a game or drawing a game - to be fair Crystal Palace will be saying the same , not sure how much Joe Hart knew about that second save with his arm - obviously he held out a strong arm but the ball could just as easily gone in .
Ah well , let's beat Liverpool .
Hampshire'ammer

Post by Hampshire'ammer »

Its not only us that can do it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41802645" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

We conceded a last minute equaliser because we are a mentally weak side. Despite Antonio's awful cross our team still let Palace run from their half to the edge of our box virtually unchallenged, on the 96 minutes mark, when we had enough players back to cover. We failed as a team, collectively, because no-one took responsibility.

This is a big part of the reason why Bilic needs to go