Watford 2-0 West Ham Utd (19/11/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Re: Watford v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by MD_HM »

What’s sort of interesting is pretty much all the players and some line ups could have been from a couple of weeks ago...

Not suggesting that Moyes should be making wholesale changes but really does stink (pending result) of the players not performing just as we saw with Chelsea and Leicester previously.

As always, our players “on paper” should win... whether Moyes has had enough time to turn that around we will see.

If they do come out storming, as much as it will please me it will also be quite disappointing at the same time.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

0-1. Andy Carroll goal from a corner.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Not really feeling the optimism, to be honest. Watford are a good team, and playing with more confidence than us, and at home. A draw would be a good result.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Havent watford lost three on the bounce?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I expect a good result and performance as that's what tends to happen when Clubs make a managerial change and players try to impress and react positively. It's whether that can then be built on that's important.

1-2 would be my prediction especially with Watford struggling for form of late.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Burnley Hammer wrote:After careful consideration, I'd probably go with this. Rather than go three at the back to paper over our weaknesses, I'd stick to his preferred formation and hopefully spend the next few weeks working on getting the midfield to take more responsibility for the defensive side of the game.

------------------------Hart

Zabaleta----Collins----Ogbonna----Cresswell

-------Obiang----Kouyate----Noble

-------Lanzini--------------------Ayew

---------------------Carroll------------------

Kouyate could easily slot back into defence at any point to switch to a 3-5-2 if need be.

I believe it's common for Moyes to go 4-4-1-1 away from home, or 3-5-1-1.

Likes to play a big man in support of an even bigger man, think James McFadden / Duncan Ferguson.

Our even bigger man is obviously Carroll but who would be our big man ? Arnautovic ? Ayew ?

I read something where Rio was saying it was tried at Man U. but without the even bigger man, apparently they fired 81 diagonal crosses into the box in one particular game !
Watford Hammer
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by Watford Hammer »

In the home end again courtesy of a local mate who is a STH.
We always seem to shoot ourselves in the foot here - they are not a good team, very much Championship but then again at the moment so are we.
Would love for once to be have to try to hide a smile as we walk away with a win.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Iron-worx wrote: I believe it's common for Moyes to go 4-4-1-1 away from home, or 3-5-1-1.

Likes to play a big man in support of an even bigger man, think James McFadden / Duncan Ferguson.

Our even bigger man is obviously Carroll but who would be our big man ? Arnautovic ? Ayew ?

I read something where Rio was saying it was tried at Man U. but without the even bigger man, apparently they fired 81 diagonal crosses into the box in one particular game !
That's only half the problem. We actually have to start learning how to put a decent ball into the box first.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Iron-worx wrote:
I believe it's common for Moyes to go 4-4-1-1 away from home, or 3-5-1-1.

Didn't he have Fellaini the king of the diagonal cross basher upper target man? One of Evertons biggest weapons in every sense of the word. Went down like a lead balloon with the Manc crowd as well as the likes of Rio.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Colours never run wrote:Went down like a lead balloon with the Manc crowd as well as the likes of Rio.
Maybe the likes of Rio should have considered getting behind their new manager instead of bitching about him.
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

Iron-worx wrote: I read something where Rio was saying it was tried at Man U. but without the even bigger man, apparently they fired 81 diagonal crosses into the box in one particular game !
Didn't we do similar against Brighton? One of the best services to Carroll I've seen; unfortunate that he wasn't playing.
Colours never run

Burnley Hammer wrote:
Maybe the likes of Rio should have considered getting behind their new manager instead of bitching about him.

I saw it as just a veteran being deeply concerned with what he was seeing happen at the Club. He was right to be as it turned out.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

So doubts over reid and Antonio with Hernandez out of the match. three of our best players missing.

not an easy place to go for us recently.

hopefully our commitment and fitness levels are up for this.

u23 squad will provide a few for the squad with rice Martinez and quinna on the bench.

if we turn up then a draw if we don't another 2-0 defeat

no idea on team or tactics but our CBs available ogbonna Collins and kouyate do not feel me with confidence
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Is hernandez definitely out? :?
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Anyone actually got the team news,very confusing comments by Moyes.

Reid And sakho flew in this morning but expecting both fit for Sunday.

Hernandez could take a week or two

Everyone else is fit ? Huh ?

What about fonte byram and Antonio ?
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I really, really hope we don't get battered...
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

HammerAl wrote:I really, really hope we don't get battered...
Yeah, and I really really hope we win, but if we don't win then a draw would be OK because it's slightly better than a loss.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

bubbles500 wrote: Everyone else is fit ? Huh ?

What about fonte byram and Antonio ?
And the BBC preview says that Collins is injured

:?
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

3-0 West Ham. 2 for Carroll and 1 for Ayew

COYI
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Ok so OS says Collins out.Honestly like putting a jigsaw together.Be nice if they could just put out 1 tweet Or a simple paragraph saying xyz are out.Reid still seems very unlikely to me.Which leaves ogbonna rice kouyate .