Watford 2-0 West Ham Utd (19/11/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

SullySpecial
Has liked: 263 likes
Total likes: 647 likes

Re: Watford v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by SullySpecial »

If Carroll stays fit, WHU go down.
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

SullySpecial wrote:If Carroll stays fit, WHU go down.
Phew! I was worried for a moment.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

hammerfox wrote:That was a really poor performance against a bang average team. Lazy defending, missing 3 nailed on chances and generally inept performance everywhere else. We are definitely going down. There is no way the ‘dream team’ of Moyes, Pearce, Irvine and McKinley will have a clue between them on how to keep us up and play decent football. If makes me retch to see those idiots sitting on the sidelines. What have we become?

Thanks gold and Sullivan ....now pack your bags and do one.

Thought Watford were decent. A better striker and they'd have had 4 minimum.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 263 likes
Total likes: 647 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

Claret&Blue,Thru& wrote:
Phew! I was worried for a moment.
:lol:
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

Is Duxberry still at Watford? - bet he had a grand day out today.
Believer
Has liked: 1421 likes
Total likes: 758 likes

Post by Believer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Their set up is better han ours, no doubt. Point I was making the things they are well known for, which s sacking managers and manager having minimal impact on transfers, are things we woukd be opposed to
True but I bet the chairman doesn't buy the players. I'd hazard a guess they've got a bonafide DoF

We are rotten from top to bottom and I just don't see any change whilst this lot are still here. Next level indeed.
Believer
Has liked: 1421 likes
Total likes: 758 likes

Post by Believer »

SullySpecial wrote:If Carroll stays fit, WHU go down.
Based on the chants aims at him 2nd half, I'm sure another hamstring strain isn't far away or a bad back or....
upton o'good

Post by upton o'good »

jastons wrote:Even a dead cat bounces. We lost two nil.

We need to start getting the basics right, if that means ten men behind the ball and a nil nil draw then so be it. It won't be pretty but neither is losing every week.
Only if it is freshly dead. Once rigor mortis fades...
New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by New Jersey »

We are this year's Sunderland. Of course we shouldn't put all the blame on Moyes, but the fans didn't want him and from what I saw today, the players also didn't want him. Moyes was the cheap option, that's the Dave's fault.

When things are bad, the luck doesn't go your way. It's pretty amazing that one of those four clear cut chances didn't go in. We were so poor performance-wise, I'm scared to think what Man City will do to us.

Leicester will have too much pace for us, they will score on the counter-attack. Really don't know what the answer is, Lanzini is class, but he needs a couple of players to work with, Noble, Kouyate and Obiang aren't those players. Maybe Ayew, Hernandez and Antonio can provide a spark? Andy Carroll should never start again.

All very depressing, but we've been here before. This time relegation scares me as I can see us becoming one of the many teams that have disappeared further down the leagues. Bolton, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Coventry etc.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Terrible first half, although a couple of good chances and if they go in then the entire complexion of the game changes. Two good moves down the right second half and again, bit more composure from Kouyate in front of goal and the outcome could've been quite different. A couple of new songs that I've never heard about the board and in good old West Ham fashion we all seemed to make a joke about it all but deep down a very sad day for the club. Not sure where we go from here? As long as we stay up then I guess we can rebuild next season. Although I seem to remember saying that last year?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Whilst in full agree your point that not enoigh spent on midfield Obiang and Kouyate about £13m, no? And many posters think Noble is good enough
None of them are playmakers. That is the problem.

I don't know who is to blame for the transfer debacle but we should not have had one option in Carvalho. We spent 25m on Arnie who plays wide and has no pace when we had players like Antonio and Ayew who could fit that role.

Those 3 today were ponderous, and had no craft or killer pass. Ball retention was piss poor.

We will never win games with those 3 and Carroll up front. Too slow and too predictable.
ChzMff
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Was watford's three much more expensive?

Watford are a team of random journeymen, foreign punts and assorted extras. What they have now, and have had to a certain extent up to this point, is good management to mould them together

Let's be honest, if we had bought Richalison it would have been a sully special and would have failed miserably
Yes, they paid £8 mill each for Doucoure and Hughes. They then brought on a £15 mill midfielder they signed from Juventus. We predictably talked a good game about buying Carvalho and ended up with nothing. Our chairmen lauded the Hernandez signing yet he was cheaper than the £18 mill centre forward Watford had up front. These are not "journeymen and foreign punts". It simply highlights the criminal under investment in key areas of our team.
upton o'good

Post by upton o'good »

To put our summer transfer dealing in context. The money we paid for Arnie, Watford got Richarlison, Hughes and had £5m left...
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Humbug »

I just think Moyes will look at several of the players and think they are just not committed enough. He might have to take a big risk and shift 4 or 5 out as they obviously don't want to play at West Ham. Saw some big gaps in the midfield again with players just allowing the game to pass them by. We are especially woeful without the ball , completely clueless about how to run into correct defensive positions, leaving massive gaps and spaces that you can run a proverbial bus through.
Hello there!

Post by Hello there! »

New Jersey wrote:This time relegation scares me as I can see us becoming one of the many teams that have disappeared further down the leagues. Bolton, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Coventry etc.
Quite possibly for the best.

You cannot build on rotten foundations. Sometimes the only solution is to demolish and start again.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Without trying to sound Xebophobic, I think we have just signed too many foreign mercenaries who looked good when things were going well but have completely half arsed it since things started to go south.
Also we have signed far too many English players who believe their own hype. We have also signed far too many on contracts that leave little motivation.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Let's be honest, if we had bought Richalison it would have been a sully special and would have failed miserably
That's so on point it's not even funny. :thup:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1948 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Peaches wrote:Xebophobic.
Gets too isolated on the right and dives a lot.
Norwich Iron
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Norwich Iron »

Well Carroll is still unplayable. Trouble is we keep blooy well playing him :D
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Humbug »

It won't matter how well Moyes (or any other top manager) is good with fitness, tactics, organisation. If you have a section of the squad half-heartedly playing for our club with eyes elsewhere, we will fail. He needs to get a list of 1st team replacements fast for Obiang,Ogbonna, Creswell , Fonte, Sakho and maybe even Kouyate and Noble. Reid and Zabaleta and Hart seem to be the only ones who actually do any defending while all the rest just ball watch, make pansy cowardly attempts to win the ball and can't be bothered (exception Noble if he gets the opportunity to get close enough but he's so damn slow ). There is no stable dependable spine in our team to fall back on when we start to struggle. These are really dark days for our club but we have a chance if we can form a squad with several players with strong competitive attitude plus a few with a sprinkling of flair.