Watford 2-0 West Ham Utd (19/11/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Re: Watford v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Aceface »

The real issue yesterday was there were only 2 players on the field who could remotely create anything in Lanzini and Arnautovic, and both are woefully out of form. (There's actually a third on the bench who only ever gets 10 minutes at the end, but that's another matter).

You then have 8 players who might play a whole season without opening up a side, including the least creative midfield in the league in Obiang, Noble and Kouyate.

Which leaves the final piece of the mismatched jigsaw: a relic of a bygone, pre-pressing past staggering around uselessly - and increasingly testily - upfield.

This hodge podge is then directed from the sidelines by 4 of the most dour yesterday-men in British football, essentially on loan. Not a recipe for glory.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

I also look forward to the day , joe hart saves anything with his left hand
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

It must be the strangest sensation being Adrian the past 18 months.

Sitting on the sidelines watching a clear-cut Championship keeper play ahead of you for most of a year, then sit and watch another bloke be paid triple what you're on to concede the most goals in the league.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

The problem with being a keeper is you're only remembered for your mistakes.

Hart made an outstanding save about five minutes before the second goal which didn't even get a replay.

We got absolutely bossed by Watford. And I don't want to hear 'Watford are good this year' they're not and they'd only had seven shots in target at home all season.

It's not Hart's fault the other ten players were, Maybe not Arnautovic, f*cking dreadful.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

We've got absolutely no pace in this team, our inability to actually be able to put a ball round someone and beat them over 10 yards is laughable. To counteract that we need to be excellent passers with intelligent attackers, we're lacking in that department as well.

People laughed at signing someone like Adama Traore but that's exactly what we now miss, someone who can receive the ball, skin a few players and carry it forward rather than relying on a sideways or backwards pass. Teams aren't afraid to press us hard because they aren't afraid of being opened up.

We were so excellent with Payet in the team because he could literally draw someone in, skin them and carry on moving, it's what Arnautovic is capable of doing but doesn't.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

You have to question what homework Moyes had done before this game. Has he not seen any of the performances of the team when we start Noble, Obiang and Kouyate in centre mid? Absolutely woeful, all 3 of them.
Goldsmith

Post by Goldsmith »

Knighter10WHU wrote:You have to question what homework Moyes had done before this game. Has he not seen any of the performances of the team when we start Noble, Obiang and Kouyate in centre mid? Absolutely woeful, all 3 of them.
Couldn't agree more Knighter!

Anyone who has actually watched us would know this was a bad idea. We all said it in the pub beforehand as soon as the team came out.

Playing Arnie & Lanzini out wide feels very similar. Masuaku has to start the game on Friday.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Knighter10WHU wrote:You have to question what homework Moyes had done before this game. Has he not seen any of the performances of the team when we start Noble, Obiang and Kouyate in centre mid? Absolutely woeful, all 3 of them.

there wasn't anybody else ., unless you wanted to throw Declan rice to the lions again
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

I just can't get my head around how good players have just turned to **** within 18 months. Who's fault is this? Slavens? Lack of intense training? Player belief?

Cresswell is not even half the player he used to be, whilst the only reason Noble, Obiang and Kouyate are getting in the team is because we simply do not have anyone better to replace them with. Those three midfielders are constantly the catalyst for debate every game.

I was hoping Moyes would come in and appoint a new Captain, but that looks increasingly unlikely by the minute.

So many fantastic players have turned into deadwood within 18 months, I can't get my head around it.

I believe it is time to start bringing in Martinez, Rice. Players who have the determination to win us football games. We have got such a hard run now until xmas, I really can't see where the next point, let alone win is coming from.
Cornet

Post by Cornet »

Plenty of bad performances but Reid and Cresswell for me were dire. Both do not get tight enough - I don't mean tight as in they can be turned easily but Cresswell for example........his winger gets the ball Cresswell is 3-4 yds from him? Me and my old man were screaming at him to get tighter.
Not just Cress to be fair, not sure what has happened to Reid but he looks totally off the pace. The 2nd goal he could have headed to 3 west ham players yet heads it straight to Hughes, even then he shows the guy wide, great, but again, gives 3 yds space - enough to get a shot away.

A lot of players out of form or looking poor admittedly but these two were superb a few seasons back but now look leggy and in Cresswell's case not carrying out basic full-back knowledge. If they watch the video surely Pearce would see this but IF Mahrez plays imagine how much damage he will do if Cress gives him as much room and I worry re Vardy and Reid now as well!
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

chigwells finest wrote: there wasn't anybody else ., unless you wanted to throw Declan rice to the lions again
The point I was making more was that we shouldn't be playing 3 defensive midfielders. For what its worth I would start Rice in place of Obiang and Kouyate on Friday night.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

A lot of stupid and unprofessional errors / choices yesterday. Fact is, if we took our chances we would have won.

What Cresswell was doing for the first goal is anyone's guess. Totally bullied by Hughes. If his defensive ability is the only thing keeping Masuaku out of the side then he is in trouble. Same for Obiang and Ogbonna, not sure what they were doing either.

Stupid of Carroll leading with his elbow early on. Even more stupid to get himself booked having not taken any of the three opportunities he had to go down and get a free kick shortly after. Lucky not to have seen red again.

Stupid of Zabaleta to go through the back of someone in the box, although it would have been harsh we have seen them given against us time and time again.

Kouyate should have scored in both halves, good save by Gomes in the first but shouldn't have had the chance to save it. The one he blazed over the bar was just amateurish, school boy stuff. Same for Arnautovic, good save from a decent header but his follow up should have been rammed home.

Terrible from the ref to not see the handball for their second but also should never have come about. Reid could have headed it out, Noble didn't track back, Hart should have done better... The handball could not have been any clearer though and Hughes would not have been in control of the ball had he not used his hand.

We had the chances to win that game, we had the three best/clearest chances in the game in fact. Need to take them at this level, simple as that.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

With all the travelling I'm a bit surprised Reidy started the game; he looked off the pace. With Fonte missing I feel like we really need Ginge back in that back line.

For Moyes, if he needed a wake-up call then seeing these players in a match under his stewardship then he certainly got one, which may have led to his comments about "reputation".

I would strongly suspect more than a few changes for Leicester as a reaction.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

WorcesterWHU wrote:With all the travelling I'm a bit surprised Reidy started the game; he looked off the pace. With Fonte missing I feel like we really need Ginge back in that back line.

For Moyes, if he needed a wake-up call then seeing these players in a match under his stewardship then he certainly got one, which may have led to his comments about "reputation".

I would strongly suspect more than a few changes for Leicester as a reaction.
not sure there are a lot of options available to be honest
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

We should have scored at least once but frankly, even if we had we would have conceded again and lost the game. We've seen it all before this season.

The midfield is anonymous. I've been a supporter of Noble but he looked like a headless chicken yesterday, being schooled by Tom Cleverley. Obiang looks a completely different player.

I can't fathom why we still persist with Carroll on his own up front. As long as we continue with this, we'll be relegated by March.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

we were getting ole'd by watford 36 minutes in.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

chigwells finest wrote:I also look forward to the day , joe hart saves anything with his left hand
He can't.
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

This may sound knee-jerk, but to me will raise Moyes credibility, send the message out, and at least show we want to stay up

Wholesale changes for the next game. And honestly, about 7 of that team could and should be axed.

Moyes should tell the world, hes not having it.

Could we get any worse?

I know hes an idiot but play Sakho from the start. Get Masuaku in. Rice, Fernandes, Adrian. Bring back Ayew and Antonio. Only Zabaleta could look himself in the mirror after yesterdays debacle
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

The streams were appalling yesterday, worst ever, and I saw virtually nothing.

All I can comment on therefore is that I saw that we covered 10km more distance than our average for this season - It would seem that the workrate has improved even if nothing else has.