West Ham United 1-1 Leicester City (24/11/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Re: West Ham United v Leicester City: Match Thread

Post by woodywoody »

Wilko1304 wrote:[wivenhoetim"]Don’t understand the downer on Carroll. put in a shift in on his lonesome for most of the game , tracked back, defended till the end ...obvs been told to keep his arms down when challenging now.. so ain’t ever gonna win as much in the air..a solid 7/10 performance....
7?
Donkey watch
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Kev59 wrote:10/10 for effort. 5/10 for ability.

Arnie's best game for us by a mile and my MoTM.

**** knows what Ogbonna was up to for their goal. In fact, our back four, minus Cresswell were all over the shop
Ogbonna was dreadful. Plenty of just standing there watching, coupled with a good amount of just walking rather than running.
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

-DL- wrote:Personally, I thought there was some nice tentative signs there tonight. No, the performance wasn't sparkling, but then I didn't expect it to be - but, there did seem to be a bit more organisation, a bit more fight a bit more hunger, and a bit more desire.

First and foremost - the rot has stopped. We didn't lose. In the context of things, that was absolutely massive - especially after conceding so early.

Just a few tweeks here and there with individual players - and I think we'll start climbing up a place or two. Habits need to be broken - and thankfully, tonight, we broke the habit of conceding first and letting our heads drop. We carried on looking for the goal, and gave it a go once we went behind..

As I say, it wasn't amazing, but better than of late.

And the 'We are West Ham's Claret and Blue Army' chant being sung by the whole stadium in the second half was a nice touch.

A special mention for Arnie too, who worked his socks off and seemed to be here there and everywhere.
Got agree with most of this, think we need a player or two that can spot a pass and then make it, some of our touch and passing was woeful at times

We looked more organised, more energetic, we pressed more, and didn’t look like we were blowing out of our ar$es within 20 minutes. Yes there were times when we got really sloppy and played ourselves in to trouble or made the stone decision, but overall I thought probably one of our best league performances of the season.

Carroll looked a little disinterested and on his heels a few times and would have liked him to get out of second gear when closing down, but for the last 30 minutes or so seemed to up his game and put more of a shift in

Arnautovic had his best game and shook off the lazy tag for this game (want to see it every game next though) especially when he sprinted back to make the tackle in th box when the player was bearing down on goal

I don’t get all this “were still s***” criticism- were West Ham FFS we’ve been both good and bad for years

As for the Leicester and Watford were winnable games and we’re doomed mentality, league position doesn’t lie - we’ve been struggling at the foot of the table with some dire performances - Watford are 8th and playing some of their best football while Leicester are now 11th. One our performances to date, we shouldn’t expect to have winnable games. We should be working hard and grafting to get out of the mess

The performance was better, still needs improvement, but it’s starting to look more positive now
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

A better performance than Watford (or Liverpool, or Brighton) but still not anything to write home about. Leicester didn’t offer to much, perhaps we didn’t let them?

Ultimately though we needed 3 points and didn’t get them. We haven’t won in our last 6 league games, and we have a ridiculous run of 8 league games with only one you’d expect us to win (and that’s against a team who’ve beaten us 3-0 this season).

So for all the increased effort, it means nothing if we don’t get the results.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Crap game really – highlighted only by the extraordinary performance of the crowd in the second half!

The players reckon they were very enthused by it all and feel the crowd gave them an uplift. The manager also praised the crowd and the general feeling is that we took a lot from the game and it has positively lifted them. Maybe this is because we came from behind to get the draw.

It had a very eerie feeling about it at the start – a very subdued bubbles to begin with.

I saw a bit more effort than that of the Watford game. They are definitely upping the ante. We even improved our distance and sprints quota.

We’re still pretty poor football wise though - especially going forward. It's early days in the new regime still.

Testing four games coming up. Results will matter more than the performance. If we play well but lose all four, it will require a very strong team character to raise it again.

We’ll see.
Al Fisti
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

Our defence isn´t still good enough, We get easy goals with the first chance from the opponent in almost every game. You can´t win football games if we are not able to stop this.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Reminded me of bilics first season when payet and Lanzini were injured and we had to resort to grinding out the results through hard work.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Where did that tremendous crowd noise come from in the second half - what kicked it off? Was it Kouyates 45th min goal?

This sort of support defies the soul less bowl concept and we know we can make some noise. The fans and players make up the soul. And yeah I know, when theres ***** on the pitch its hard to belt it out from the stands.

Oh and it looked like most were standing - most of the time? :scarfer:
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

Great atmosphere last night amazing some of the time.
Need to do that every game! :crest:
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Surprised to see some thinking Kouyate was excellent and supportive of Carroll, with the word "mobile" used.

Kouyate was more intriguing, as I think he probably was carrying out instructions, but our midfield was left vulnerable by his positioning and he is also extremely good at doing things that make him look drunk. I would say Lanzini in particular will struggle to look a creative force with Kouyate and Carroll as the two options ahead of him.

However, he did what Moyes wanted; he was taller than some people and got into the box.

Carroll was awful. He makes it harder to play a pressing game, that's for sure, and often makes the pressing we do become absolutely wasted.

His actual job of threatening the goal he did awfully, by application and by guile.

What is clear to see is that Moyes's idea for us to win games is to use set pieces and crosses. The latter being based on height rather than particular skill.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

bishbosh wrote:Any chance they could move thr asvertising boards next to the side of the pitch? FFS.

You've got a crowd generating a a great atmosphere, players putting a shift in and trying to build up a bit of pressure and every time the ball goes out it takes 30 seconds to get the ball back in play and the opposite defence is set again. ****ing joke.
Exactly why not put the boards up 5 or 10 metres from the touchline all the way around they can advertise all the shitthey like
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

AC’s had 3 shots on target this season, getting on towards Christmas. Which I would argue, in a team with endless competition for the title, means he’s doing his role less effectively than anyone else.

3 at the back, Adrian in goal and Carroll having 20 mins at the end would go a long, long way to shoring things up.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

woodywoody wrote:
7?
Donkey watch
More of a 5, two or three times we made a great break, Donky was no where to be seen! lol

Had gtears in my eyes the atmpsphere in that second haff, that's True Supporters! felt so proud! but it clear therte is still so much dead wood in our team.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Kev59 wrote:
**** knows what Ogbonna was up to for their goal. In fact, our back four, minus Cresswell were all over the shop
The goal scorer was cresswell's man. He was looking at him as he was running back towards goal and then completely lost him.
Certainly not blameless by any means
djbubbles
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by djbubbles »

If we were mid table people would be happy enough with the point.

In my opinion i thought Carroll was terrible. If you take away his arms for leverage he is nothing which is exactly what he was last night. Needs to be impact sub only.
What has happened to Reid? He looks like he has cement in his boots these days.
Ogbonnas mistake for the goal was diabolical but he was ok apart from that.
Ayew needs to start.
Theres no difference between Noble and Obiang. Mark should start being our captain.
Lanzini needs a goal. Theres a great player there but hes lacking confidence.
Arfer played well i thought. He tried but get to byline a few times and messed up but remember its a new position for him. Hes probably one of the most skilful players we have.
I love Zab but hes starting to look heavy legged.
Hopefully we can gring out a few points in our next six games :crest:
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

The Old Mile End wrote:
We’re still pretty poor football wise though - especially going forward. It's early days in the new regime still.

We are very slow and predictable going forward, fairly easy to defend against I would say.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

djbubbles wrote: In my opinion i thought Carroll was terrible. If you take away his arms for leverage he is nothing which is exactly what he was last night.
Strange, thought Carroll put a decent shift in last night. Looked good in possession and didnt waste it.
Also defended well.
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Anyone got any stats on our crossing?
Thought we got in the right areas numerous times to deliver decent service to our number 9 and others, but overall this part of our play was woeful.
If we are going to persist with Andy we have to improve the quality of our crossing from wide areas.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

The Old Mile End wrote:

mushy wrote:We are very slow and predictable going forward, fairly easy to defend against I would say.
Not to mention how easily they played through our midfield first half. I had the feeling Leicester would suddenly realize how crap we were when they had the ball and tear us a new one.

Thank god they didn't realize.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Imho , I think we need a more intelligent holding midfielder than Obiang who has incredible problems controlling his first touch and is a real pansy with regards winning headers (seems too scared of getting a cracked head). He has one type of pass or shot and that is a pacy driven low threaded one which normally gets intercepted too easily . I've yet to see any different variety of passing to beat the defence like a chip or lob or a wall pass. Noble is by far the better midfielder with regards skill factor but just doesn't have the legs anymore. Lanzini was poor again and too easily crowded out when he cuts in from the left leaving big gaps for counter attacks. He is obviously much more effective in the final third and through the middle when he links up with Ayew. We had over 30 crosses into the box , most of them low and awful and nothing that AC could latch onto. I've said it before that AC is not like a Peter Crouch who can knock headers down accurately into space for a supporting attack. He has real trouble jumping up from a standing start and his strength is taking a run up into the box and using himself as a battering ram to knock goals in. Reid is just a stopper and has virtually zero skill on the ball , so why is he trying to play/dribble in dangerous areas? Ogbonna is just Ogbonna , a very left sided player , lacks any real positional sense and tends to make horrendous individual decisions/mistakes but seems to score important headers from corners/free kicks. I am also convinced that Cresswell has lost the capacity to make a strong tackle. It's as if that injury has made him wary how easily his career and livelihood could be cut short (mentally not right).
We just have too many weak links especially in midfield and defence, although to be fair, we didn't really give Leic a sniff in the 2nd half and thanks must go to AC for some fantastic defending.I am hoping that Moyes can turn things around enough for us to get something from the next 4 games. It's really going to take a huge effort and fight from all the players . Fingers crossed they will have the right attitude and commitment for every game and not just the odd 1 or 2.