West Ham United 1-1 Leicester City (24/11/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: West Ham United v Leicester City: Match Thread

Post by Vince »

Colours never run wrote:Where's the new Manager bounce? 1 point from 6 in 2 very winnable matches. Worrying run of games coming up now with no momentum.
Seems to me that you would prefer the team to fail, so that you could say 'I told you so' after the sacking after Bilic just to prove a point. Let's give the guy a chance FFS.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

upton o'good wrote:

hing is Fallaini is a decent finisher. Kouyate isnt. Much better to use Ayew in the role. Not as powerful I grant, but anticipates where the ball is going and has some technique.
I think it would make more sense to be a fully fit Antonio. He has scored many a similar goal whilst he's been with us.
bishbosh

Post by bishbosh »

Any chance they could move thr asvertising boards next to the side of the pitch? FFS.

You've got a crowd generating a a great atmosphere, players putting a shift in and trying to build up a bit of pressure and every time the ball goes out it takes 30 seconds to get the ball back in play and the opposite defence is set again. ****ing joke.
Liam
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Liam »

Massive missed opportunity as far as I'm concerned.

2 dropped points in a must win game. Better performance than Watford yes, but still not good enough. Our delivery was shocking.

Can't see how we get ourselves out of this. It's going to be a long remainder of the season. Even if we beat Everton (which I can't see is doing) I can't see how we get out of the relegation zone in 2017.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

A decent battling point is how I would describe that .

Good use of Arthur by the new Manager. plenty of spirit , excellently supported by the fans in the second half and a fair result .

Tougher days ahead mind you .
brooking10
Total likes: 1 like

Post by brooking10 »

Definite increase in effort from the players tonight, and still running hard and pressing in the 96th minute. Crowd were great, particularly second half, got right behind the team. Those that were there showed what we’re about, like the old West Ham tonight.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Personally, I thought there was some nice tentative signs there tonight. No, the performance wasn't sparkling, but then I didn't expect it to be - but, there did seem to be a bit more organisation, a bit more fight a bit more hunger, and a bit more desire.

First and foremost - the rot has stopped. We didn't lose. In the context of things, that was absolutely massive - especially after conceding so early.

Just a few tweeks here and there with individual players - and I think we'll start climbing up a place or two. Habits need to be broken - and thankfully, tonight, we broke the habit of conceding first and letting our heads drop. We carried on looking for the goal, and gave it a go once we went behind..

As I say, it wasn't amazing, but better than of late.

And the 'We are West Ham's Claret and Blue Army' chant being sung by the whole stadium in the second half was a nice touch.

A special mention for Arnie too, who worked his socks off and seemed to be here there and everywhere.
JLP123

Post by JLP123 »

Positives to be taken from today. Don't quite get some of the bashing directed at Carroll et al.
Thought the boys worked hard and definitely responded to the fans who were great 2nd half. A touch more composure in the final third and we could have nicked it.

Can not wait for the Everton game. They are there for the taking and a win at Goodison could really springboard our season. Tough fixtures to come but if we can get the ground rocking home and away we've got half a chance.

F*ck the board. We can get our message across to them and still get behind the team. When we get going there is no better crowd in this league. The players need us more than ever at this moment in time.

COYFI
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

bubbles1966 wrote: He does need to get into the penalty box more often though. He's had two good years under Slaven - scoring regularly - but he needs to click into goalscoring gear this year.
Yeah I think he's got used to dropping back too much as we ended up sitting quite deep under Bilic. He's out of the habit of being a nuisance in the box. Moyes has talked about not hitting him too early with the ball, and getting crosses in higher up the pitch, so if our wide players can sort out their deliveries, I think we'll see an improvement.
Last edited by DrVenk on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Absolutely first class support for the team tonight creating an excellent atmosphere. In spite of all the trials and tribulations West Ham supporters endure, it showed the true West Ham way. And it clearly lifted the players. Sure the quality could have been better, particularly the final ball/cross, but the effort and desire was there which has been missing this season and is a good first step. A long way to go, but my fellow supporters put a smile on my face tonight.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I thought we got lucky first half and were unlucky in the second.

Could easily have been 2 down but the late goal before half time lifted everyone.

I like those nights when the crowd wants to clap and stamp their feet cos it's so ****ing cold. At about 9pm everyone seemed to remember what a football crowd is supposed to be like. Even all the foreigners around me joined in.

Mad Arnie my MOTM, easily his best game for us.

Bit disappointed the players shot off at the end again. I think Carroll missed a bit of an opportunity by not coming over and taking applause instead of abuse.

It took me nearly an hour to get onto a train at Stratford tonight. Black Friday ****ers.
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

1 point from 6 against watford and leicester is a poor return, but at least they looked like they cared this time out. I wouldn’t say they ran themselves into the ground but they put in a good shift.

Some of our problems are related to ability - i think masuaku, kouyate and ogbonna are tactically quite poor and lack overall quality. Zabaletta is probably past it, but the main problem is confidence. We’ll never know exactly how vad it was under the previous guy, but its clear the player’s confidence was shot under Bilic for a long time and a lot of rot had set it in. Moyes has his work cut out, but there a signs of life there.
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

I couldn’t really tell on my sky sports stream, but was there much in the way if anti board dissent from the crowd tonight?
Westferry Iron

Post by Westferry Iron »

Boooogers! wrote:I couldn’t really tell on my sky sports stream, but was there much in the way if anti board dissent from the crowd tonight?
It was simmering under the surface. There was a coach load of lads got on the train at Bow Church DLR that sang some quality anti GSB stuff for the few minutes it took to get to PML, but after that not really. It went pretty well as I expected. If it was 0-2 at HT instead 1-1 all hell would have broken loose. It was the right response from the fans in my opinion. There will be a time and a place for the anti-board stuff.
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

Cheers Westferry :thup:

I posted on the protest thread that things would have to get really bad for widespread anti board sentiment to take hold at the LS. But it sounds like we might only be one bad result away from that happening.

Personally im torn. On one hand I want the board to get the abuse they deserve, but on the other i dont want the players to be negatively affected.
TootingRob

Post by TootingRob »

the atmosphere was much improved in the second half, so hats off to the boys and girls in the corner to the left of the Bobby Moore lower. I'm in the middle of the BM and it was cracking stuff. Did it start as "we are West Hams claret and blue army, we hate Sullivan"? Or was it always c&b army?
Would love to have the whole ground singing the former. Anyway thought we started well, went to sleep and went 1-0 down then the players had a wobbly spell, miss placed passed basically a complete crisis of confidence. We held it together and deservedly equalised. 2nd half was so much better, there was a definite desire to win that has been so lacking this season. Really glad to see Arnie play well, also Kouyate and although Obiang and Artur gave the ball away a few times think they both complimented Lanzini quite well. Carroll does some good holding up but his attacking threat in the air is almost non existent. I just don't get it it's a massive strength and he's obviously being told to not challenge in the air? Oh and please please please practice crossing the ball. Lost count of the wasted balls that just went straight to the 1st defender.
Encouraged by the effort and fitness, well done David Moyes, think I'm happy with a point after the last few games. Leicester are a very decent team and we were better than them tonight.
Westferry Iron

Post by Westferry Iron »

Boooogers! wrote:Cheers Westferry :thup: ..........
Personally im torn. On one hand I want the board to get the abuse they deserve, but on the other i dont want the players to be negatively affected.
They're on probation mate. The thing is, if we go in all guns blazing on Moyes' home debut we just come across as spiteful tossers. If we try to lift the team and they respond then great. But if come the New Year it's all been a flash in the pan and no improvement, then there will be some pain, no doubt.
Cambs Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

So I don't post much and used to be a season ticket holder home and away for many years.

I know however I'm a bloody good judge of footballer and when a player signs for west ham I sadly know all about them. I remember seeing Harewood sign for us on ceefax in my bedroom 24hrs before we played mk dons away at the then hockey ground. I went Harewood was on the bench in what was to date the oddest professional game I've been too involving west ham too date. Embarrassing but I think we did win but score or scorers I'm not sure the atmosphere was bizarre.

Probably looks like I'm posting this on the back of arnies best performance which I'm not. He's our main man and he will buzz of this

Any my point leads to arnautovic and how good he actually is, unfortunately I was at the misses brothers 18th b day party tonight so only watched on my phone and will watch in detail tomorrow at mine on record. He seemed OK tonight and against Watford also looked better, our most likely goal source. As a fan we love a bad guy someone with attitude and I may not get many fans from this but he us the best player in our team. He is a proper player, give him the platform make him the main man and I think he will deliver. I was buzzing when linked with him and buzzing he joined, I love technical ability it's what we pay to see and he has this, his technique is excellent.

Think he reminds me a lot of myself, obviously I'm worse but when we can be bothered we win games and I think his best his coming......

Problem is I don't think other players like him and he don't care, I like that. Not on same level but can imagine what team mates felt of di canio at times....game winners
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

DrVenk wrote:Yeah, it all coincided with the crowd dialling it up to 11. It was all set for our second but our rhythm was constantly loss.

As soon as the crowd started making all that noise the play stopped again and again for players going down, then subs. If the game could've continued without the breaks who knows what might have happened. And as for 6 minutes, it should have been at least ten added minutes.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

I thought we were the better side, but still poor. Poor is much better than catastrophic though........