West Ham United 1-1 Leicester City (24/11/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Re: West Ham United v Leicester City: Match Thread

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Agreed DL :thup:
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Certainly thought we looked more “up for it” than we have for a while. Better organised and generally disciplined however some of the individual decision making/errors still leaves much to be desired.

Arthur nearly cost us the game with his stupid dribble across his own penalty box with on a few minutes to go yet strangely when he had a chance to run their defender 30 seconds later in a far less dangerous position he tried to pass the ball through him. I begin to worry he will be another of those players with talent but no brain to go with it. He has the ability and pace to scare almost any defender but his positional awareness is questionable. On several occasions Lanzini was looking for him to run into space so he could play a pass and Arthur was stationary. Also his final delivery tonight was not great, hopefully that was just a one off as he has provided good crosses previously.

Best game Arnie has had for us, one bit of tracking back first half was top draw and should set a standard as to what should be expected from all players all of the time. Perhaps Moyes’s comments in the interview on the BBC report on the game that running etc should be a given are being listened to.

Thought Lanzini did better second half when he was slightly further forward. He can hurt players when he gets the ball 30 yards from goal, when he is getting it around the half way line there is too much in front of him.

Obiang had a better second half than first. Distribution was not great. Think he only got the nod over Noble because he could cover more ground in what was at time a 4-1-4-1. Someone in that role has to be a must in January.

Glad Kouyate got his goal after his recent misses. As someone said Moyes used him in a Fellaini style role. He seemed to cover a lot of ground, sometimes his touch was poor but equally his presence made it more difficult for Leicester to focus on AC. He had an effective game, the service to him was not great. When Hernandez is fit it will be interesting to see how Moyes plays it. I hope he does not try the idea of Hernandez on the left side as happened earlier in the year.

Really it’s should be 2 of Antonio, Arnie and Arthur wide and 2 of Kouyate, AC and Hernandez central. If we do get a quality defensive midfielder maybe he would be more inclined to go AC and Hernandez but until then we might need the greater defensive qualities of Kouyate.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Gsbgsb wrote:Certainly thought we looked more “up for it” than we have for a while. Better organised and generally disciplined however some of the individual decision making/errors still leaves much to be desired.

Arthur nearly cost us the game with his stupid dribble across his own penalty box with on a few minutes to go yet strangely when he had a chance to run their defender 30 seconds later in a far less dangerous position he tried to pass the ball through him. I begin to worry he will be another of those players with talent but no brain to go with it. He has the ability and pace to scare almost any defender but his positional awareness is questionable. On several occasions Lanzini was looking for him to run into space so he could play a pass and Arthur was stationary. Also his final delivery tonight was not great, hopefully that was just a one off as he has provided good crosses previously.

Best game Arnie has had for us, one bit of tracking back first half was top draw and should set a standard as to what should be expected from all players all of the time. Perhaps Moyes’s comments in the interview on the BBC report on the game that running etc should be a given are being listened to.

Thought Lanzini did better second half when he was slightly further forward. He can hurt players when he gets the ball 30 yards from goal, when he is getting it around the half way line there is too much in front of him.

Obiang had a better second half than first. Distribution was not great. Think he only got the nod over Noble because he could cover more ground in what was at time a 4-1-4-1. Someone in that role has to be a must in January.

Glad Kouyate got his goal after his recent misses. As someone said Moyes used him in a Fellaini style role. He seemed to cover a lot of ground, sometimes his touch was poor but equally his presence made it more difficult for Leicester to focus on AC. He had an effective game, the service to him was not great. When Hernandez is fit it will be interesting to see how Moyes plays it. I hope he does not try the idea of Hernandez on the left side as happened earlier in the year.

Really it’s should be 2 of Antonio, Arnie and Arthur wide and 2 of Kouyate, AC and Hernandez central. If we do get a quality defensive midfielder maybe he would be more inclined to go AC and Hernandez but until then we might need the greater defensive qualities of Kouyate.
Ayew should be 100%, if that's so he should be playing wide, he's a better all around player than probably any of the rest, and is one of the few in the squad who knows what to do with the ball at his feet.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Could only listen on radio, but it seemed an odd match in that after a first half of end-to-end, it 'all went quiet over there' far as Leicester were concerned. On the other hand I (or the TS commentator) didn't get the feeling that we were dominating. We were definitely going for a win, but I can't see why they seemed to set up for a draw. Don't think I heard Vardy's name more than once in the second half. Did we rattle them that much?
Hope so.

Brilliant to hear the 'Claret and Blue Army' ringing through!
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

-DL- wrote:Personally, I thought there was some nice tentative signs there tonight. No, the performance wasn't sparkling, but then I didn't expect it to be - but, there did seem to be a bit more organisation, a bit more fight a bit more hunger, and a bit more desire.

First and foremost - the rot has stopped. We didn't lose. In the context of things, that was absolutely massive - especially after conceding so early.

Just a few tweeks here and there with individual players - and I think we'll start climbing up a place or two. Habits need to be broken - and thankfully, tonight, we broke the habit of conceding first and letting our heads drop. We carried on looking for the goal, and gave it a go once we went behind..

As I say, it wasn't amazing, but better than of late.

And the 'We are West Ham's Claret and Blue Army' chant being sung by the whole stadium in the second half was a nice touch.

A special mention for Arnie too, who worked his socks off and seemed to be here there and everywhere.
Good summary agree with that.

There were too many touches at times and we need to hit more first time balls but hopefully that will come with a bit of confidence. At least the players looked like they wanted the ball and we even had a counter attack at more than a jog!

I was dreading this game. We have an awful record against them and they have the pace and movement to cause us problems. Outside the first half an hour though, they didn’t really bother us.

Arnie was good. If Carroll actually moved off his marker from time to time then maybe he’d have made more of the service. Twice Arnie had to shout at him to move before a cross went in. Lazy and brainless stuff from a player capable of so much more.

The final ball from the left was lacking, but I would try Masusku there again. He took on players and was drawing fouls. Creswell looked more comfortable as well. The understanding will come. You cannot expect everything to click straight away.

It wasn’t a great game, but feels like a base we can build from.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 924 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I thought it was a real Jekyll and Hyde performance last night. At times we were awful, we didn't close down, dropped deep, didn't press and encouraged Leicester to run at us. At other times we really got our act into a better gear than it has been for a while - got passes together, played positively and became more of a threat. It seemed at times, as if it was a case of confidence too - Lanzini laying the ball off after he'd broken away rather than going for goal, illustrated the lack of confidence.

I'm another that agrees with DL - there are positive signs emerging.

The best bit about last night was the crowd really ramping up the volume ... the singing in unison at about the 50-55 minute, was absolutely wonderful and really made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, whilst in the STB.

Thank you all for doing this - it reminded me that GSB won't always be there, but West Ham United will and we will!! :crest:
Billy Bonds Thighs
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by Billy Bonds Thighs »

More urgency, seemed sharper and plenty of effort and Arnie was decent. Poor crosses with some general lack of skill for my liking but in all it was much much better.
Thought AC was poor i'd of had Sakho on much earlier, get Antonio and Chicha back, keep this up and I think we could be alright this season :scarfer:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

We still played for 60 minutes, only this time it was the last 60 and not the first. When we eventually recovered after Leicester's early, but infinitely preventable goal, we started to press and that was good to see, that is something you don't normally associate with West Ham and we maintained that supremacy for the rest of the match. On occasions, ridiculous decisions from some of our players, did their best to throw away a point, notably Arthur inexplicably trying to dribble his way out of a tricky situation on the edge of his penalty area and players inability to control a moving ball and the same poor technique and ball control. I hope the coaching team noted all this and work on it, even concentrate on it at the training ground, especially as Man City won't need any second invitation to ruthlessly exploit gifted possession from any of our players anywhere on the pitch
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Don't care what anyone says. That was a game we absolutely had to win. As others have said 1 point from 2 very winnable games against 2 very average sides is not good. No 'new manager bounce' then. I think we are on the way down.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

pablo jaye wrote:I

The best bit about last night was the crowd really ramping up the volume ... the singing in unison at about the 50-55 minute, was absolutely wonderful and really made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, whilst in the STB.

Thank you all for doing this - it reminded me that GSB won't always be there, but West Ham United will and we will!! :crest:

I touched on this last night, it really was heartening to see and hear us all around the Ground sing at the too of our lungs and bouncing around when it started off in the East stand corner closest to BML, after all the **** we've had to put up with recently. Hands and voice raw from all the constant singing and clapping.

It also reminded me just how lucky this Club is to have our fanbase as I took a moment to look around thinking f*** me, there must be close to 50,000 here on a Friday night in the cold live on telly at our worst, the potential of the Club could be huge yet time and time again we get served up far too often poor service and football. We also have the away crowds to back it up, difficult in getting hold of tickets. Just imagine how big we could be with real success..

The players and Board honestly don't know how lucky they are to have us, even still after a shocking stadium move gone bandy.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

an improvement for sure but Leicester were and are a poor team.
two tough away games up next in everton fighting for their lives and man city on a different planet.
one point at most from that . so 2 pts from last five games is relegation form.

arnie was much better
cresswell and Arthur need time to work out an understanding
carroll was poor
lanzini too deep at times
kouyate was good and put a lot of effort in
obiang was poor but better second half
ayew was good when he came on. needs to start
ogbonna was poor rice or Collins to replace him

crowd in the second half again proved we are the best fans. If only we had a decent team.
50k+ on a cold Friday night. caret and blue army singing was the highlight of the night.
MB

Post by MB »

BondsoBob wrote:Don't care what anyone says. That was a game we absolutely had to win. As others have said 1 point from 2 very winnable games against 2 very average sides is not good. No 'new manager bounce' then. I think we are on the way down.
Last five games against Leicester before Moyes took charge was four defeats and a draw.

Last five games against Watford before Moyes took charge was three defeats and two draws.

Winnable games?
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

They were compared to the ones coming up !
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Some may say it's confidence but Obiang is proving why he did not get as many chances as a lot of people wanted. I'm not saying he's terrible but he certainly isn't the midfielder some would have led you to believe.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

MB wrote:
Arnie was good. If Carroll actually moved off his marker from time to time then maybe he’d have made more of the service. Twice Arnie had to shout at him to move before a cross went in. Lazy and brainless stuff from a player capable of so much more.
This in a nutshell. Moyes talks about making sure he is further up the pitch and we need crosses, but what's the pout when Carroll won't be in the box or if he is he will just be standing there between two defenders waiting for the perfect cross.

He doesn't move at all in the box. Not one run off the ball. He makes it very difficult for the wide players as they have to deliver a high cross to thr centre of the area. They can't think about geting to the bye line and cuting it back, a low quick across the box is no good.

Carroll woukdnt have got on the end of Masuaku cross against Swansea we scored from. Sakho also won a header in the box from which hernandez scored against southampton. Has Carroll won a single ball in the box at all?

We will not score many goals, or win many games with a Caroll in the team.

Get sakho in against Everton
MB

Post by MB »

hammerman11 wrote:They were compared to the ones coming up !
Which is why Bilic got sacked. Even the “easier” games in this period are against our bogey teams. We needed more points on the board before now and we need a crazy run after.

Expecting Moyes to beat a team when Bilic couldn’t in four attempts is a bit much.

We’d have lost that game last night with Bilic in charge (imo). A point gained.

Could we have beaten them? Maybe, but that doesn’t mean we should have.

Get through to Xmas with our pride intact and then hit it hard is the only way we are staying up.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

games coming up
everton away draw at best
man city away how many ?
Chelsea home draw
arsenal home lose
stoke away draw
Newcastle draw
spurs away lose

4 pts at best and bottom as we enter the new year.

we need a DM,AM and CB at least
CARVALHO SMALLING WILTSHIRE would be great but I doubt 30m will get you the first one let alone all three.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

ChzMff wrote:Some may say it's confidence but Obiang is proving why he did not get as many chances as a lot of people wanted. I'm not saying he's terrible but he certainly isn't the midfielder some would have led you to believe.
Disagree. He is a terrible midfielder.
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Moyes should tell Arthur to keep well away from our box. He's clearly a disaster waiting to happen with his haphazard defending. OK going forward, at least he wants the ball, and on another night may just have helped us to a winning goal. But there you go.................................. :scarfer:
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

10/10 for effort. 5/10 for ability.

Arnie's best game for us by a mile and my MoTM.

f*** knows what Ogbonna was up to for their goal. In fact, our back four, minus Cresswell were all over the shop