Everton 4-0 West Ham United (29/11/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Re: Everton -v West Ham United - Match Thread

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I have been disappointed by Carroll and thought it was time to drop him, but based on what I saw yesterday it might not be a bad thing if he did start...though he needs a bit of a rocket from Moyes. Williams didn't even fancy the challenge of Charlie Austin...

That said, if it's Williams and Jagielka at the back then Sakho and Ayew could work better. Tbh, we should be capable of fielding any forward line that can give them problems.

A team with a possible back 3/4 of Kenny,Williams,Jagielka...surely even we can get something here.
Essex bill

Post by Essex bill »

Lukaku will score at least two.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I thought effort wise Carroll had his best game vs leciester and in his defence our deliveries into the box was shocking. I've been screaming out for a front two paring to give us more mobility / fluidity in the side for ages but like others said I wouldn't mind Carroll starting here as their defence from the air is poor. Carroll will have one of those games sooner or later and boy how much we could do with that come Wednesday night.

1-2
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Can't see anything other than an Everton win just because............its ****ing Everton! :thdn:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I think we'll win a tense encounter .

Everton are possibly the only club in the top flight with nearly as many problems as us in the Boardroom , and their problems are causing their first team to suffer .

Their inability to appoint a Manager 5 weeks on from parting company with Ronald Koeman illustrates the difficulties of not having one person in sole charge of the Boardroom as well as the dugout .Their Chairman, knowing the risky position they are in undoubtedly wants an experienced PL manager in , their majority shareholder wants the Hollywood option .Bizarrely , a win for us could force the issue for them .

Marco Silva is clearly the first choice given the two protagonists viewpoints but as each match passes by any new Managers ability to transform their season positively diminishes .Whoever they appoint now will spend their first 30 matches merely keeping them up .Given the average tenure of a PL manager these days is around 90 games that effectively means they will get their first choice for around a season and a half .That won't help them build towards a new stadium .

With Keane and Baines both likely to be out injured they will have the look of Dads Army at the back , with the ageing Jagielka likely to line up with the ancient Ashley Williams .Everton fans on Grand Old Team have plenty to say about the latters abilities at the moment .For us, that means Carroll has to start , and being replaced on the hour by either Ayew or Antonio .It's a muscle job .

Defensively for us I'd change nothing .The only real goal threat I see from them is a wonder free kick from either Rooney or Siggurdsson , therefore no lunges around the edge of our box , meaning no Collins or Noble ( make a note in your diaries).Moyes is a risk averse kind of Manager and I'd expect him to plan for things like this .

We'll create very little through the middle given the fact that Kouyate and Obiang cannot pass the ball forward further than 2 feet , so once again any spark will have to come through Lanzini .Might he be tempted to put on a show in a city some reckoned he was destined for ? Cold night, up North in November, lets see how much he's got .Personally I reckon he'll be the star man on the night .

Of the two keepers I fancy Pickford to be the busier with us coming out on top in a single goal between the sides , either 1-0 or 2-1 to us .

It won't be pretty , but both sides need the points and sometimes you just have to win ugly .
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Seeing how Austin completely bossed Williams I can't see Moyes dropping the big man.

Any news on their injuries? Baines would be a huge blow to them.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

3-0 ‘hopefully this will kick start our season’ win for Everton.

I don’t understand all the optimism about us just because the players ran around a bit more against Leicester. That’s the absolute bare minimum to be expected. Do you all give your postman a round of applause for dropping the junk mail through your letterbox?
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Early reports suggest Baines and Keane are likely to miss the visit of West Ham united. Don’ t know if that is good or bad news?
They are pretty toothless up top Calvert -Lewen does not look up to much , watch him go and score now :o
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Essex bill wrote:Lukaku will score at least two.

asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

I don't think we'll see any changes from the game against Leicester. If fit , I'd like to see Colins in for Ogbonna as the latter is a liability.

Moyes will approach the game similarly to Leicester. Hopefully our final ball improves though.
S-H

Post by S-H »

I'd like to see Antonio for Masuaku if possible, Arthur was a total liability on Friday.

Maybe Noble for Obiang or Kouyate, but suspect he may stick with what he went with against Leicester.

Not that he deserves it, but start Sakho (who else is there?) for his movement and bring on Carroll as impact sub later on.

Their confidence should be lower than ours, and we should take advantage of that fact.

A nervy 0-1 to the Hammers.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

On current form your wingers have to be Ayew and Arnie, Antonio on the bench/
S-H

Post by S-H »

Completley forgot about Ayew, so can't argue with that.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

--------------------Hart

Zabaleta----Reid----Ogbonna----Cresswell

---------------Noble----Obiang

-----------Arnie---Ayew---Lanzini

---------------------Sakho

Play through the middle.
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

We'll need to get in behind so id stick with arthur and tell him to keep it simple, get the ball and run the young fullback as much as possible, other side same, arnie to roast and get in behind, we need to get both their aging centre backs turning as much as possible,
Get in behind them and they will be very very uncomfortable, long balls into carroll is probably the only thing they wil be able to defend so use our width.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Heading up to this one and getting the coach back to London...get's in for 6.20am...grim.

A PM on the away pub would be appreciated. :thup:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Skandi Brudson wrote: I don’t understand all the optimism about us just because the players ran around a bit more against Leicester. That’s the absolute bare minimum to be expected. Do you all give your postman a round of applause for dropping the junk mail through your letterbox?

The players weren't doing that bare minimum before though, I think that's the point.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:I thought effort wise Carroll had his best game vs leciester and in his defence our deliveries into the box was shocking. I've been screaming out for a front two paring to give us more mobility / fluidity in the side for ages but like others said I wouldn't mind Carroll starting here as their defence from the air is poor. Carroll will have one of those games sooner or later and boy how much we could do with that come Wednesday night.

1-2
I thought he was terrible on Friday, we did put a few decent balls in but he wasn't anywhere near them. Hold up play was poor, never shuts the back four down and basically kills any creativity that we do have left in the team.

Fantastic option to have from the bench, but we can't start him anymore. I'd suggest 'one of those games' will come later and not sooner.

Interesting to see the injury situation. Antonio would run the channels and pressure a back four better than anyone else in our squad.
Bubbles Bob
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Bubbles Bob »

Watching the Everton debacle perhaps shows the board should perhaps be given a bit of leeway for getting the manager position here sorted out swiftly. Everton are clearly hanging out for the dream ticket but ironically the longer it goes on and the worse they perform it makes getting the person they're looking out for harder and weakens them in any bargaining. Fingers crossed they don't get it sorted until we've left with 3 pts.

Oh Carroll to start for me. Put in a good shift against Leicester in attack and defence. Not really his fault most of the deliveries were gash.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Everton's back four, Williams in particular, is really bad and can't handle pace. We must start with a pacy front line in this one. Sakho and Ayew on the pitch for me.