Everton 4-0 West Ham United (29/11/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Re: Everton -v West Ham United - Match Thread

Post by Status Kev »

Truly awful first half.
We came out of the blocks after half time and looked much better with Lanzini being particularly prominent. Then came the penalty miss, Cresswell's shot on to the bar and Rooney's 3rd against the run of play (at the time). Fair play it was a great strike but completely killed the game as a contest and there was no way back. Then came Reid's injury. It never rains.
I can't help thinking if we had started the first half like we did the second it could have been a completely different outcome.
Things are looking very bleak indeed and even being a generally glass hall full person I can't really see us getting anything from the next three games.
In the words of the late great Stuart Adamson I ain't ever felt so low.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:What is the obsession with the back four of passing sideways and being scared to thread a pass through midfield or even take a player on? It seems they're scared to make a decision and are content to pass the ball and leave it to someone else. Utter stupidity if you ask me.
This si the most frustrating thing for me. It means Manu has to play at DM just to get the ball.

I have no idea how to sum up that disaster. And at 2 - 0 down with a pen I thought we'd beat them. Ho hum.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Trust us to make Rooney look like he's 20 years old again
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

SpongeBob's Pants wrote:The BT sport lads after the game were saying why not play Arnie on the left, in his preferred position, and where he played 90% of the time for Stoke.

Its a fair enough point, but also, i can sort of see why Moyes is trying to fit in Arthur - he desperately wants pace in the team, and we desperately need it. If we take Arthur out and play Arnie and Ayew in the wide areas, we'll really struggle to create imo.
i think it's more the case that crossing the ball is the alpha and omega of moyes' tactics so he'll be having none of that soft european inverted wingers b*llocks.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

vietnammer wrote:Trust us to make Rooney look like he's 20 years old again

Well Moyes would know..
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

I have a massive issue when managers bang on about how well the Team played 2nd half (we lost it 2-0 but whatevss Dave), yet it's all after the horse has bolted. It's piss easy to play much better when you've just gone in at half time a couple of goals down as a lot of the pressure has ebbed away and plahers finally play more freely and with freedom. No wonder they look more comfortable and are also effectively allowed to play by the opposition as they know they have a cushion to rely on. 2 ****ing 0 before half an hour had past and it could have been more before HT..

Even say for argument sake Lanzini did score the penalty, that's still 2-1 behind and no guarantee we would then pull an unlikely result out of the hat as the opponents usually wake up and react accordingly upping their tempo. To hang on to that as some kind of massive positive in the 2nd half just goes to show how worrying it is to have Moyes at the helm. He shouldn't be praising their 2nd half 'performance' at all and shouod just be condemning the entire game for what it was and apologising to the masses that went.

Against a team devoid of any confidence at the start of KO and with just as many injuries as us going through their team, getting smashed shouldn't have been an option under the circumstances yet we make them look like Guardiolas Man City carving us apart at will. We should have been bang on it from the word go yet it's the same old tired story.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Lanzini's penalty miss pretty much symbolises our season to date.

We were shocking first half... we looked a different team second half up until that goal (and what a goal it was) completely knocked it out of us.

Huge similarities between this season and the Pardew / Curbishley season at the moment from what I can see.

This is West Ham... this isn't a new story. Different stadium, same West Ham.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

OPTA stats:
West Ham didn't attempt a single shot in this game until the 52nd minute of the match - the third longest wait by a team in a Premier League game this season.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Korea Hammer wrote:Would have preferred Rooney to stay on the bench. I know he's past his best, but he's just one of those players who always seems to have a good day against us.
:(
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

That reminded me of us under Allardyce. Start a game to get a 0-0 and have no attacking threat then move to a more attacking formation once it's too late and we are 2-0 down. Unfortunately, Moyes is old school and will start the next 3 games exactly the same.
Colours never run

westlondonhammer wrote:
Huge similarities between this season and the Pardew / Curbishley season at the moment from what I can see.

For me, Moyes reminds me of Lou Macari in many ways.
Iron By Fatherhood

Post by Iron By Fatherhood »

Not usually given to comment on one game or lose my head over it as the arc of any season is long but for the first time ever, I know think we're going down unless we replace half the team from yesterday.

Let's start at the back -
Hart was never a value for money upgrade on Adrian, who in the years he'd played for us, suffered one sticky bit of form last winter and then lost his place temporarily to Randolph who while a good keeper on his day, was generally more erratic than Adrian.

We then pay hugely over the odds for a keeper no-one else wanted and has been erratic himself. Did they think the defence in front of him was dodgy because they were worried about the keeper? Mate, it's the central defence, actually the entire spine of the team that is poor.

Fonte we bought as a panic buy and is pedestrian, not much quicker than Ginge.

Reid always seems to get to the ball a second late which is why he always seems to get unfortunate looking deflections or touches to put the ball into the path of an oncoming attacker. After a while of this, it's no longer unfortunate, simply too slow to get to the right place at the right moment.
Ogbonna, looks like a deer on ice, proper ***** and always beaten.

All central defenders should be either strong enough to not get knocked off the ball by a big striker or quick enough for it not to matter, ours are neither.

Zaba's legs have gone, not much more to say, but his decision making has been poor too. Shame Byram is injured, who is the right back from the U23s?, he needs to be next man up. Let's not be putting Kouyate there, he's no defender, not now, not last season.

Kouyate - what has happened to the Kouyate of two years ago? Such a clear upgrade on Diame, he's just jogging around the pitch without intensity with each game passing him by.

Obiang, when he was given his rare chances by Bilic early on, he looked good, calm and accomplished and now he looks as ineffective as Kouyate

Noble must not be able to believe his luck, someone as limited as him in central midfield should no longer be able to command a first team place but what can we do when the others are proving worse.

I can't even bring myself to carry on, the fault lies here, what they do further up the pitch will always be undone by not getting the back and centre sorted.

We are simply awful, and I'm an optimist by nature not prone to doom and gloom but I can't see a way out of this. I'm just glad we've got games against teams we wouldn't expect to win while we're playing like this, Watford, Leicester and Everton have been wasted opportunities, we should try out a bunch of U23s v Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal and see what sticks and get ready for Newcastle and West Brom.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Colours never run wrote:For me, Moyes reminds me of Lou Macari in many ways.
We all know your views on Moyes - we can all read
Colours never run

No need to get funny, I wasn't questioning your opinion of which I don't disagree with your season comparison, even if I do believe he's Macari MK II.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Two games to save his job ?
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

vietnammer wrote:Trust us to make Rooney look like he's 20 years old again
His choice of shag usually does that, last night we was his GILF.......
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

The Gibbins wrote:Another disappointment for me has been Zabaleta personally. He looks like another on a long list of past it players to fill a spot at right back for West Ham. I admire his passion and his work rate but he can't keep up with play and is caught out any time he crosses the halfway line. Every time he is caught out he has to commit a foul and add yet more yellow cards to his tally, and then ease off tackles for the rest of the game therefore becoming ineffective in his position.
Sorry Gibbins, don’t mean to pull you up fella but I don’t understand the disappointment or surprise.

30 something on the downward trajectory of his career. This was always going to happen ... as it always does with FBs.

People were creaming themselves over him, fact is most games he’s targeted. He has no pace and is often caught out of positon. I really like the bloke, always gives 100% but is this kind of blind faith/optimism which is clearly misplaced.

Shock horror, pitches are getting heavier and our senior FB is struggling.

He was a free signing on large wages, was only going to be good for a short period.

Can’t keep on buying players in their 30’s. It really is ludicrous.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

I wonder if Moyes will stop thinking he's a Messiah now and do what Slav did and play 5 at the back. It's the only way we have looked good this season, Moyes came in thinking it was fitness issues. It's quite clear it's not. The only way we have looked half decent or been able to defend is 5 at the back. This has to be his priority. Especially with the games coming up. That's the clearest thing. I said it after Watford. And Leicester and again now.
Colours never run

StackerJJ wrote:I wonder if Moyes will stop thinking he's a Messiah now and do what Slav did and play 5 at the back. It's the only way we have looked good this season, Moyes came in thinking it was fitness issues. It's quite clear it's not. The only way we have looked half decent or been able to defend is 5 at the back. This has to be his priority. Especially with the games coming up. That's the clearest thing. I said it after Watford. And Leicester and again now.

100%

It's other little details in the game that's also irritating me, for instance not sticking a man on a post for corners. What happens? Williams scores a soft goal from a corner that would have normally been cleared. Defensive organisation and attention to detail is supposed to be his speciality.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

StackerJJ wrote:I wonder if Moyes will stop thinking he's a Messiah now and do what Slav did and play 5 at the back. It's the only way we have looked good this season, Moyes came in thinking it was fitness issues. It's quite clear it's not. The only way we have looked half decent or been able to defend is 5 at the back. This has to be his priority. Especially with the games coming up. That's the clearest thing. I said it after Watford. And Leicester and again now.

That and weak, lilly livered players in midfield with clumsy first touch who are slow of thought and movement as well