Man City 2-1 West Ham United (03/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Re: Man City v West Ham United - Match Thread

Post by jastons »

I was really impressed with Adrian today. He did nothing wrong so I will be seriously disappointed if he doesn't keep his place next week.

Sakho could have done better with his chance at the end but I put that down to not having match sharpness. If he plays (starts) two or three games over the next month then he buries that.
mboogers
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by mboogers »

Never left Euston. At the time I was, on the inside, a little bit relieved because I was fearing an absolute trouncing. Of course, when watching in the pub was absolutely gutted to not have been up there. Great noise as usual from our lot.

Feel encouraged by the seemingly elevated level of commitment by our players and improved organisation but obviously it's all for nowt if we can't pick up some points.

If it helps, a mate (who does not support WHUFC) lumped £500 on us to go down at evens earlier this week and he tells me that after today's match the cash out has gone down to £425 :lol:
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I'd rather see these types of performances against sides who are around us as opposed to the side who have already won the league.
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

chappo59 wrote:I dunno about light at the end of the tunnel but at least we now have a tunnel. :crest:
Watford - We had golden chances with Kouyate. Could have had 4.
Leicester - A team we've not beaten forever, it was one way traffic in the second half.
Everton - WOEFUL first half. Much improved second. Everything went against us. Penalty miss sealed the game.

I personally think everyone has been ridiculously harsh on Moyes from before he was appointed.

We're playing better. We're keeping the ball better; I think we're transitioning play better. We're finally creating chances and openings out of movement, as opposed to benefiting from opposition mistakes/deflections. We've just been let down by the midfield not tracking runners and shoddy defending.

Fitness doesn't just happen overnight. It takes weeks for physiological adaptations to occur, and the previous management team left this team way off the pace of professional standards. Add to that, the gaffer hasn't had a full selection of players to pick from. We're gonna be bottom at Christmas & new year, but that's due to not beating teams in the bottom half.

We have from 23rd December to 3rd Feb:
Newcastle
Bournemouth
Spurs
West Brom
Huddersfield
Bournemouth
Palace
Brighton

We'll know by Feb if we're dead and buried, but I'm confident we'll be staying up.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

[HH] wrote:Fitness doesn't just happen overnight. It takes weeks for physiological adaptations to occur, and the previous management team left this team way off the pace of professional standards. Add to that, the gaffer hasn't had a full selection of players to pick from. We're gonna be bottom at Christmas & new year, but that's due to not beating teams in the bottom half.

We have from 23rd December to 3rd Feb:
We'll know by Feb if we're dead and buried, but I'm confident we'll be staying up.
I agree with that HH, unfortunately so many games in such a short period is going to be further detrimental to fitness. I can't see results improving for a while. I just hope the players' (and fans') heads don't drop too much in the meantime.
If we do get out of this I reckon it's going to be another Great Escape.

Having said that, it sounds as though today's game showed a great improvement in effort, even if it's not the style of footy we'd like to be watching every week.

:scarfer:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

BondsoBob wrote:Well, we didn't get the caning that so many of us feared (including me). And it was a good tactical performance, but we still lost and it is 1 point from 12 for Moyes. We really have got to start picking up some points pronto !

I must have been 1 of the few that felt confident Adrian would keep the score down today.

Let's be honest, it would have been had it not been for Adrian. I lost count at the amount of saves and clearances he made. He really did make a huge difference, even if the scoreline cruelly doesmt reflect that. Had Hart been in, I dread to think how many it would have been today with his confidence at rock bottom lile Wednesday. That's not to take anything away from a good performance from the team but a bit of a reality check.

1 in 12 points is a shocking return but much of the damage had already been before the City game. I'm still trying to get over that Everton performance.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:I'd rather see these types of performances against sides who are around us as opposed to the side who have already won the league.
I’d rather see these types of performance week in week out whoever the opposition is - they need to be the norm not the exception.

Also Rice did well, was at fault for the winner but I am not sure Moyes was “digging him out” - point out the mistake yes but also acknowledged his age and said he did really well. To my mind that is exactly how he should have approached it.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:I'd rather see these types of performances against sides who are around us as opposed to the side who have already won the league.
Exactly today's effort was expected and I had 14/1 and the draw, same old West Ham !!

Can't see it at the 2 home games but if they start good and the crowd get behind them a crafty win or draw is possible
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Antonio disappoints and frustrates in equal measure. Never gets his head up and looks for the simple pass. Ran into the opposition player or into an area blocked off too many times.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Antonio disappoints and frustrates in equal measure. Never gets his head up and looks for the simple pass. Ran into the opposition player or into an area blocked off too many times.
Still don't think he's anywhere near fit tbh but does add some unpredictability to our attack. Felt he should have passed to Sakho rather than shoot up the other end just before their goal
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Love Antonio but for me he shouldn't have been starting after only recently coming back from injury. Ayew or Sakho should have led the line instead of him whilst Hernandez and Carroll are out. He was a yard off the pace and it showed and no surprise to see him cramp up like f*** at the end having played little football recently.
Westferry Iron

Post by Westferry Iron »

@cnr, based on what we saw against Palace I would say Hart would've saved most all of City's efforts today as well. There was nothing unstoppable. Adrian played well (bar his compulsory brain freeze near the end) but that position is not our main problem just now, or even when he was brought in. Headline grabbing nonsense of a signing.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Antonio was excellent today, they hated him. I’d be playing him up top from now on. Him and Annie have pace and strength and defenders hate it.

Also think Cresswell was excellent in an unfamiliar role and would persevere with him there. Means he can step into midfield and still be used for deep crossing but showed he can and does defend well. Masuaku and him worked together well and Masuaku looked more comfortable than he has as a winger.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

It's **** or bust time soon. The point at which we have to play with two up top and I think the sooner we do that the better as it won't be long before drawing a match will be almost as bad as losing one. I appreciate this will take courage, but in our postion I think we have to go for it
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Puff Daddy wrote:The point at which we have to play with two up top
It's quite easy to switch to it and keep 3 at the back and wing backs. It will probably suit all our forwards to play in a pair. If they put themselves about it won't hurt us defensively.
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

Much better performance. I feared the worst but we defended well and were unlucky a couple of times.Great to see Adrian back between the sticks and he really should keep his place after that.
Citeh dribbling the ball to the corner flag at the end was not something I was expecting to see to be honest.
After the Everton game I was totally down in the dumps but despite no points again I was lifted by the effort we put in.
Can we please put the same effort in all our games?
Gutted by not totally disheartened.
COYI. :crest:
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Has anyone seen and update on Kouyate? He was massive in the 1st half, and feels like despite some horrendous misses in front of net he like Arnautovic has been much better since Moyes arrived. Would be a shame for him to be out long term now.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Was a great performance, but I honestly can't recall Fernandes' name being mentioned once?
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I think we definitely need two up front. Sakho and Hernandez.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Didn’t see the game, will watch the highlights on MOTD.

Checked the score sporadically on my phone at once they equalised I didn’t check it till after the game. My heart sank when 2-1 flashed up.

Sounds like it was a gallant effort, but we need points on the board. Hopefully they can play like this in the next few and we can actually dig ourselves out of this hole we’re in. We’re due a bit of good news / luck, let’s hope we get that on Saturday.