Man City 2-1 West Ham United (03/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bonus

Re: Man City v West Ham United - Match Thread

Post by Bonus »

Each to their own opinion.
When you watch it back, let me know when he kept the ball. When a centre forward plays up front on his own, it's vital that he holds the ball. He is not capable of that role.
I don't blame him for the miss too much btw
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

brothernero wrote: I thought Sakho actually did quite well when he come on. Am I the only one?
He worked hard. I saw an interesting clip from our last match where he was the only one pressing the opposition defence and urging his teammates to do likewise (with zero success).
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

Colours never run wrote:Didn't hear the post match interview, what did he say about Rice?

Thought he had a decent game considering the opposition away.
"I think we should have done much better with the winning goal. If you are a centre half in that position you would head it away, so I'm disappointed we lost the ball, but we were playing a young 18-year-old centre half who did really well today."
More quotes from Moyes in here
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Bonus wrote:Each to their own opinion.
When you watch it back, let me know when he kept the ball. When a centre forward plays up front on his own, it's vital that he holds the ball. He is not capable of that role.
I don't blame him for the miss too much btw

If no one is playing near him he can't hold it up really, all he can really do is run forward and rely on someone coming in to support him. It's not really a strength of his, we was playing counter attack so it was about the midfield getting forward in time to help out, which again was impossible as we had to defend so deep. I think all he could really do was make a nuisance of himself and try to put pressure on their back line.
Stulaw
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Stulaw »

Bonus wrote:Good defensive performance.
Sakho was useless. He couldn't hold the ball up. When Kouyate went off Ayew or Arnautovic should have came on, or Martinez. If Sakho would have done his job we could have got out more and come away with something.
Thought the attitude of the team was better though. :crest:
Yeah... no, almost every ball out of the box went straight to a City defender, not the fault of anyone in the team really, it was a bit frantic, he was trying to hold the ball up and even nicked the ball off of some players, when he did get the ball, half the time our team were too tired to come up and help him. I think he could have positioned himself better for that shot at the end, but he got the ball up there when he could and did try to help the team while by giving someone in front that could be the outlet, he also got the corner that our goal came from within a minute or two of coming on. I don't think Martinez could have done that.

I think what cost us was dropping off too early in the game, we could have pushed for more really but chose to hold back with 20 odd minutes to go. It tired the team out and you could really see them struggling and leaving more spaces. Kouyate going off early didn't help, but that was why Sakho came on.
Last edited by Stulaw on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

Funny how people's opinions differ. I thought Sakho was pretty poor. Every time he got the ball he gave it away and the ball just kept coming back at us. Then, when he gets a gilt edged chance, he can't get it anywhere near on target. I suppose I just struggle with playing a guy who really doesn't want to be there.

Otherwise an excellent performance in terms of effort. Rice was blamed by Moyes for the 2nd goal but that might be harsh and even if true was probably the only 'mistake' he made all game, if that's what it can be called.

We need to maintain this effort now, although 2 home games where we will have to try and take the game to opposition who are so slick on the break, are going to be a very difficult. On the strength of the effort today, though, there's no reason why we shouldn't get something.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

A big strength 1st half was Adrian's distribution to Kouyate - he must have won 3 or 4 good headers and allowed us to get possession higher up the pitch. We missed that 2nd half.

I can see why people might dig out Sakho a little bit. I thought as the game went on he allowed himself to become isolated by staying close to the Man C defence when he could have dropped into the hole a bit more. Did take up a few good positions out wide but soon lost out being isolated.

I thought both Obiang and Fernandes made some driving runs and generally put themselves about which was good to see, especially Obiang.

Masuaku and Lanzini partnership down the left - now that's something to develop.

The three centre backs were disciplined and concentrated the whole game. That's got to do Rice a world of good. Loved how Zab was constantly tutoring through the game, as well as Adrian.

And suppose last words should go to Adrian. He proved his worth today.
Westferry Iron

Post by Westferry Iron »

It can't help that Sakho is just not match fit. I can't stand the fella for his attitude but he gives us something different. Should've scored.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

I honestly thought we were going to lose at every point of that match. It was just a matter of time. We played well in patches and we worked very hard but the performance counts for absolutely nothing.
lib2007
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by lib2007 »

The real difference today was Adrian. The rest just followed. We play so much better with him in goal, it just beggars belief why Hart ever gets a chance.
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

Did Gary Neville's commentary annoy anyone else today? Constantly digging us out and never a word of praise. He clearly can't stand us, nor can Carragher, although i'm pretty sure at one point he said we had been brilliant....may be not!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

jacko wrote:I honestly thought we were going to lose at every point of that match. It was just a matter of time. We played well in patches and we worked very hard but the performance counts for absolutely nothing.
It should help breed a degree of confidence in those players and give the manager into an insight into what works best with this bunch.

Most of our big senior players were out - and we performed better without them. It might give a few of them a kick up the arse.
Westferry Iron

Post by Westferry Iron »

@Jacko, I agree with that. When we went deep early in the second half there was no chance we'd hold out for over half an hour. That's why I think it's a fitness issue. Probably why we've only had a single half's worth of a performance in us for some time now.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

kevino wrote:Did Gary Neville's commentary annoy anyone else today? Constantly digging us out and never a word of praise. He clearly can't stand us, nor can Carragher, although i'm pretty sure at one point he said we had been brilliant....may be not!
Skys entire programme set up was geared towards them having a collective **** over City giving us a shoeing.

Arseholes the lot of them.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Westferry Iron wrote:@Jacko, I agree with that. When we went deep early in the second half there was no chance we'd hold out for over half an hour. That's why I think it's a fitness issue. Probably why we've only had a single half's worth of a performance in us for some time now.
Manchester City have beaten every team they've played when they have had 11 men this season.
Westferry Iron

Post by Westferry Iron »

Obviously. We still looked unfit though. Maybe they're exceptional, so given we held them for most of the game Moyes and Pearce are having an effect.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Adrian for me all day long and Declan Rice looks so mature and assured.
Great organised performance and what Moyes has already done is show that he picks the team not the players and he's fired long overdue warning shots at Hart and Arnie amongst others.

I dunno about light at the end of the tunnel but at least we now have a tunnel. :crest:
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

tactics don't count as tactics unless they are so rigid and obvious that the average punter can point at them and say "corr, look at those tactics" when nobody ****'s them up.
Javram

Post by Javram »

Re. Sakho not holding up the ball. can you name a west ham forward that can actually do this? I say one....he's mexican and he's injured and even then its not a big skill of his. Today both Sakho and Antonio were both as guilty as each other. Sakho has a lot more quality in terms of being a CF, i'm not really sure what antonios best position is tbh, right wing i suppose, but CF, not not for me. Sakho though today i thought was lazy....never tracks back much past the halfway line. when they attacked to score the second he was walking about in the centre circle. maybe i'm being harsh but i got the feeling he showed me today that he really doesn't want to be at whu, shame cos i think there its a player in there
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Well, we didn't get the caning that so many of us feared (including me). And it was a good tactical performance, but we still lost and it is 1 point from 12 for Moyes. We really have got to start picking up some points pronto !