West Ham United 1-0 Chelsea (09/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Re: West Ham -United -v- Chelsea Match Thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I didn't want bilic to go, and I didn't want Moyes to come in, and I hate the owners. However, I have had a superb day. Absolutely pickled but what a performance and what a result.
We shouldn't forget the **** we are in but days like today make it all worthwhile
New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by New Jersey »

I understand why people don't like Sakho, but I thought he did well when he came on, and the big hug with Arnie shows that he's part of the squad. I'd rather see Sakho running into space than pumping the ball up to Big Andy. Having said that, Carroll does usually terrorize Arsenal, bring him on for the last 20 minutes on Wednesday if necessary.
miketheloop

Post by miketheloop »

Proper result that.

If we can keep that level of desire up we’re gonna be fine. I thought the goal was quality personally.

Everyone played well, Aurthur was fantastic actually lol at some of his tricks. Reid also stand out.

Fantastic performance and well needed. Keep it up Irons!
Skipper

Post by Skipper »

sendô wrote:Great performance and great result.

Even better that it's against the rent boys.

Much gnashing of teeth in Surrey tonight no doubt.

:crest:
Apart from the ones who are having an early night as they are travelling up to Manchester tomorrow :)
wicklowiron
Has liked: 4 likes

Post by wicklowiron »

Just in the door after leaving for the OS at three this morning but by God it was worth it. COYI
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Thought evryone today did all that could be asked of them. Keeping the space between the defense and midfield tight meant there was not the room for Hazard et al to pull us apart as others have. It also meant that the lack of pace of Noble was largely nullified meaning he looked far more like his old self. Top performance.

Arthur was our best player, if he can stop the occasional brain fade, positioning for the Morata chance late on could have cost us the win as an example, he will be a threat with his skill and pace. It was pleasing to see us actually have a plan to attack teams absent AC.

Midweek will be tough and I guess we can counter attack Stoke at their place, willl be interesting to see how we approach Newcastle who will sit back against us.

Last Sunday set standards for commmitment and effort that have to be replicated week in week out and no return to the first half v Everton can be tolerated.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Only West Ham eh?

Carried on from pevious and we have now played two title contenders in a few days and limited them to just a handful of on target goal attempts between them.

Amazing what can be done when everyone works for each other, regardless of the mix and match we have.

I think a lot of it is down to defending from the front. Antonio running his legs off up there gives so much more to the overall balance. He might not be a striker when it comes to scoring goals, creating them or laying balls off, but for overall work rate and effort, you can't deny he brings something to the game that others don't.

Great contribution from the skipper too. Contrary to popular belief, his legs are not gone.

Long, long way to go yet. But a point a game will be enough this season.

Good competitive game of football. Of course we time wasted - when the odds are heavily stacked against you, you have to do what you can. It's the way of life.
Last edited by The Old Mile End on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DjBelz

Post by DjBelz »

you can tell the apathy in the place at the moment given there is only 27 pages of a game thread that was a Chelsea victory!! Usually this would be a league cup 3rd round type interest!. Clearly it is going to take more than one 90 minute performance but I thought all the key signs of an improving team fixing up the errors of the previous management were there today:

* Fitness levels improved remarkably
* 100% commitment
* compact and knowing each other's roles
* "Luxury" players like Arnie really putting in a shift and driving morale of the team
* Adrian looking very stable and clearly the back 5like him there
* sticking to the game plan
* clean passing
* looking calm and composed (and not nervous despite the opposition) on the ball. This suggests confidence is coming back into the team quickly.

I thought Creswell had his best game for the club at least easily since his terrible knee injury (and I thought this Creswell was gone forever) and players like Reid and Antonio were back to their final year @ Boleyn levels.

I'm curious to see how Moyes is going to keep Carroll, Hernandez and Hart and co. integrated with the squad but I do like how he is not resorting to throwing these players out there and hoping for the best. Say what you want about him, but I think his desperation to fix his own reputation and be a success is meshing with some of the players that have something to prove after the last year of crap. It may just be a match in heaven after all. For now.

Onwards and Upwards (couldn't get much lower)

:scarfer:
markmc

Post by markmc »

any links to the full match

cheers in advance if any suggestions

Fantastic win, get in, West Ham way init

More on Wednesday please

COYIs!!!!!
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Masuaku is taking a lot of plaudits for his improvement under moyes (and rightly so) but for me there is a player out there that has always had natural ability but never shown it and that is ogbonna. I've been a massive critic of his since he signed but over the last month under moy3s he hae gotten better and better and been a beast at times (he was my motm today). Gus attitude has changed completely and i appreciate him more than ev3r
markmc

Post by markmc »

markmc wrote:full match here: https://highlightsfootball.com/video/ep ... l-match/5/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fantastic win, get in, West Ham way init

More on Wednesday please

COYIs!!!!!
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I was really impressed with Lanzini yesterday. The first couple of games he didn't look like he was buying into Moyes' methods. He was always jogging back, but yesterday he was getting up the pitch and sprinting back into position time and time again.

Great to see.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

The XI were all great yesterday and deserve all the plaudits that they get. Despite how poor we've been for much of the season it's great to be able to still have got one over this mob and Spurs.

The bench today also had some impressive options albeit a little top heavy.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

DannyboyDJL wrote:I was really impressed with Lanzini yesterday. The first couple of games he didn't look like he was buying into Moyes' methods. He was always jogging back, but yesterday he was getting up the pitch and sprinting back into position time and time again.

Great to see.

The MotD analysis this morning (was out last night, might have also featured then) showed that Noble and Lanzini ran their furthest in a match yesterday.

I know I am a bit of a Lanzini fanclub member, but his first time touch for the goal was what set Arnautovic on his way. Perfect weight to feet, in an area where the defenders knew they couldn't really tackle.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

prophet:marginal wrote:I know I am a bit of a Lanzini fanclub member, but his first time touch for the goal was what set Arnautovic on his way. Perfect weight to feet, in an area where the defenders knew they couldn't really tackle.
That little passage of play was the value on yesterdays ticket, a real jump up and punch the air move of brilliance .
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

New Jersey wrote:I understand why people don't like Sakho, but I thought he did well when he came on, and the big hug with Arnie shows that he's part of the squad. I'd rather see Sakho running into space than pumping the ball up to Big Andy. Having said that, Carroll does usually terrorize Arsenal, bring him on for the last 20 minutes on Wednesday if necessary.
I thought he looked okay with the ball....poor without it. He didn't press the defenders whatsover.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Sakho didn’t look interested once again yesterday, didn’t run for anything.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Always nice to beat the rent boys and their plastic fans. My brother lives in Spain,his next door neighbour is a Swede who has never been to Stamford Bridge, never been to London, never even been to England, knows f@@k all about their history - he didn't even know they'd been relegated a few times - yet is a 'mad' Chelsea fan ! They really do have the monopoly on the definition of 'plastic fans'. :lol:
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

What a battle, a long time since I have seem all the team give so much, willing to run for their lives, superb atmosphere, it shows we can make the stadium work, make it a fortress, forget about the so called owners and how deluded they are for one day.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

DjBelz wrote:you can tell the apathy in the place at the moment given there is only 27 pages of a game thread that was a Chelsea victory!! Usually this would be a league cup 3rd round type interest!. Clearly it is going to take more than one 90 minute performance but I thought all the key signs of an improving team fixing up the errors of the previous management were there today:
Only 27 pages after beating Chelsea is saying something, I'm not sure what though. Perhaps we prefer a good old moan, the same reason the "little things that irritate me" thread is far larger than the "little things that make me smile" one............