West Ham Utd 0-0 Arsenal (13/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

StackerJJ

Re: West Ham United v Arsenal: Match Thread

Post by StackerJJ »

mushy wrote: He is built like a sprinter, sprinters run 100 meters flat out once or twice a day.
Antonio is asked to run in 50 meter bursts throughout 90 minutes.
Greene, Bolt or whoever wouldn't be able to do that.

Actually he is built like one of the doorman that used run the doors at Oscars back in the day, I would like to see them run up and down all day long at full pelt.
Is the correct answer. I remember a similar thing happening with Dean Ashton when out injured (I know maybe a little fat too) but he hit the weights and slowed him down massively. Difference with Dean Ashton is he was a good footballer and never relied specifically on pace.
Patito

Post by Patito »

The Gibbins wrote: I don't think it has anything to do with speed, in fact it probably enhances it the way sprinters are built. Its more to do with stamina and lactic acid build up.

You might be right with regard to the stamina and lactic acid build up.

Personally, I just don't think he's quite 100% fit.
Patito

Post by Patito »

StackerJJ wrote: Is the correct answer. I remember a similar thing happening with Dean Ashton when out injured (I know maybe a little fat too) but he hit the weights and slowed him down massively. Difference with Dean Ashton is he was a good footballer and never relied specifically on pace.

"hitting the weights" and building muscle does not necessarily slow you down.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Patito wrote:How about this guy
Not sure who he is to be honest :?
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Patito wrote: "hitting the weights" and building muscle does not necessarily slow you down.
You are right, if doing light weights at high repetition but bulking muscle does. Its quite clear antonios upper body is bigger due to weight training which has slowed his, just watch how he moves during a game.
Patito

Post by Patito »

StackerJJ wrote: Not sure who he is to be honest :?

An example of someone who is built like a brick sh*thouse yet is faster than anyone in the Premier League and could still run full pelt at the opposition for 80 minutes.
Patito

Post by Patito »

StackerJJ wrote: You are right, if doing light weights at high repetition but bulking muscle does.
I'm not sure where you have read that information but you are misinformed, my friend.
StackerJJ wrote: Its quite clear antonios upper body is bigger due to weight training which has slowed his, just watch how he moves during a game.
Genetics, resistance training and diet. I would wager it actually makes him a stronger, more powerful sprinter and in turn, probably helps him run quicker!
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Patito wrote: An example of someone who is built like a brick sh*thouse yet is faster than anyone in the Premier League and could still run full pelt at the opposition for 80 minutes.
Great example. Is he a footballer?
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 878 likes

Post by mushy »

Patito wrote:
An example of someone who is built like a brick sh*thouse yet is faster than anyone in the Premier League and could still run full pelt at the opposition for 80 minutes.
Really, who is this person and what does he do?
essexguy

Post by essexguy »

StackerJJ wrote: Both quite right but they run for 10 seconds in their field. They are not required to run for 90 minutes. Give me the name of a muscly long distance runner and i'll stand corrected.
You can't really compare a long distance runner to a footballer either in my opinion. Long distance runners generally run a constant speed plus they do not have to deal with the other physical aspects associated with football.

I'm sure there must be a sports physio amongst as who can laugh at all of our attempts at being experts on sports science. :lol:
Patito

Post by Patito »

StackerJJ wrote: Great example. Is he a footballer?

Rugby player. Same height as Antonio, 2 stone heavier yet he could run 100m in 10.4 seconds, and would run up and down a wing all game.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

StackerJJ wrote: You are right, if doing light weights at high repetition but bulking muscle does.
Patito wrote: I'm not sure where you have read that information but you are misinformed, my friend.
StackerJJ wrote: Its quite clear antonios upper body is bigger due to weight training which has slowed his, just watch how he moves during a game.
Patito wrote: Genetics, resistance training and diet. I would wager it actually makes him a stronger, more powerful sprinter and in turn, probably helps him run quicker!
I'm a personal trainer and studied sports science my friend. I think you are now going off point his sprinting speed is not the issue here, its his turn of speed which has slowed down. Anyway seems we are going off topic our opinions are not in line and i dont think they will be. I have my opinion and you have yours. Who's right, none of us know.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Patito wrote: Rugby player. Same height as Antonio, 2 stone heavier yet he could run 100m in 10.4 seconds, and would run up and down a wing all game.
Rugby players run on average 30/40% less during a game than footballers with longer "rest periods" they are machines i'll give you that and i'm not doubting that fact.
Patito

Post by Patito »

StackerJJ wrote:
I'm a personal trainer and studied sports science my friend. I think you are now going off point his sprinting speed is not the issue here, its his turn of speed which has slowed down. Anyway seems we are going off topic our opinions are not in line and i dont think they will be. I have my opinion and you have yours. Who's right, none of us know.
Without wanting to turn this into a dick swinging contest, I'm a level 3 PT and qualified nutrition coach. :) I can tell you right now that you are well off with the light weights at high rep comment amongst others. He absolutely flew past Maitland-Niles last night at one point as if he wasn't there, he hasn't slowed down at all IMO just doesn't seem to be able to last the full 90 mins.
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 878 likes

Post by mushy »

Patito wrote:
Rugby player. Same height as Antonio, 2 stone heavier yet he could run 100m in 10.4 seconds, and would run up and down a wing all game.
maybe if you furnished us with his name, we could have a look at the kind of stats he puts in, for what its worth rugby players have far more natural breaks in games then footballers and are not generally expected to constantly chase lost causes. The only time this guy will have to sprint would be when he receives ball in hand, there is a big difference.
Patito

Post by Patito »

StackerJJ wrote: Rugby players run on average 30/40% less during a game than footballers with longer "rest periods" they are machines i'll give you that and i'm not doubting that fact.

If you want footballers specifically: Hulk, Yannick Bolasie, C Ronaldo, Lukaku, Moussa Sissoko.

Varying sizes and shapes but all big lads with plenty of LBM who can both accelerate and hit very quick top speeds.
Patito

Post by Patito »

mushy wrote: maybe if you furnished us with his name, we could have a look at the kind of stats he puts in, for what its worth rugby players have far more natural breaks in games then footballers and are not generally expected to constantly chase lost causes. The only time this guy will have to sprint would be when he receives ball in hand, there is a big difference.

Bryan Habana - I believe I posted his name once or twice above mushy :thup:

Same height as Antonio, 2 stone heavier. Could run 100m in 10.4 secs. Was a winger so he pelted it up and down the wing all game.
mushy wrote: The only time this guy will have to sprint would be when he receives ball in hand, there is a big difference.
You must be joking Image
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

mushy wrote: maybe if you furnished us with his name, we could have a look at the kind of stats he puts in, for what its worth rugby players have far more natural breaks in games then footballers and are not generally expected to constantly chase lost causes. The only time this guy will have to sprint would be when he receives ball in hand, there is a big difference.
Bryan Habana.

Trust me, he does more than only sprint when he has the ball in his hands.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Patito wrote:Without wanting to turn this into a dick swinging contest, I'm a level 3 PT and qualified nutrition coach. :) I can tell you right now that you are well off with the light weights at high rep comment amongst others. He absolutely flew past Maitland-Niles last night at one point as if he wasn't there, he hasn't slowed down at all IMO just doesn't seem to be able to last the full 90 mins.
I have no ego and a tiny penis so i'm definitely not in for a dick swinging contest. Not quite sure how my light weight many reps comment was wrong by all accounts but hey ho. You're right once he flew past Maitland-Niles once, I know in your opinion he hasn't, but in mine he has. His ability to get past a man has gotten worse since his injury imo, he was flying past players last season and that spark seems to have gone, i'm my eyes they way he is running around the pitch he is looking too top heavy and his fitness is severely lacking.
essexguy

Post by essexguy »

Not meaning to keep this thread off topic but has anyone seen how muscly Ronaldo is. The guy is huge across the upper chest and arms.

He seems to be able to run OK.