West Ham Utd 0-0 Arsenal (13/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

StackerJJ

Re: West Ham United v Arsenal: Match Thread

Post by StackerJJ »

Patito wrote: If you want footballers specifically: Hulk, Yannick Bolasie, C Ronaldo, Lukaku, Moussa Sissoko.

Varying sizes and shapes but all big lads with plenty of LBM who can both accelerate and hit very quick top speeds.
I'm not sure if you're missing the point here or if you're trying to prove something different??? Again you're right the above are big lads who can run fast, and can go for 90 minutes. I'm not saying they cant and i'm not here to try and prove you wring my friend. My overall point was Antonio has gained muscle mass and its had an affect on him.. I'm not saying he cant condition himself and improve on this, change his training regime and improve. Think you're swinging for no reason here...
Can you honestly say you think he's as fit as he should be? Do you think he has bulked up and its affecting him.
Patito

Post by Patito »

StackerJJ wrote: Not quite sure how my light weight many reps comment was wrong by all accounts but hey ho.
You seemed to be insinuating there was a difference between muscle gained by using lighter weight in higher rep ranges, as opposed to what you called "bulking muscle".
StackerJJ wrote: You're right once he flew past Maitland-Niles once, I know in your opinion he hasn't, but in mine he has. His ability to get past a man has gotten worse since his injury imo, he was flying past players last season and that spark seems to have gone, i'm my eyes they way he is running around the pitch he is looking too top heavy and his fitness is severely lacking.
I don't remember everything he did in the game. I'm sure there is a way to find out how many high-intensity sprints he made and I am sure it will be more than one, but that is the one that stuck out in my mind.

I agree he has gotten worse since his injury. :thup:

I also agree his fitness is lacking as well, and that actually is something I've mentioned a number of times whilst I've bombarded the last couple pages.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

I thought Antonio just didn't quite look fit enough to be honest. He's not long back from injury, maybe he's still half a yard short. Lets also be fair, while he is a willing runner and works hard, it's not the best use of his talent to have him sprinting across 70 odd yards of pitch chasing loose balls.

Hopefully against teams where we push up mor combined with Antonio getting a bit fitter we'll see more from him.
Patito

Post by Patito »

StackerJJ wrote: I'm not sure if you're missing the point here or if you're trying to prove something different??? Again you're right the above are big lads who can run fast, and can go for 90 minutes. I'm not saying they cant and i'm not here to try and prove you wring my friend. My overall point was Antonio has gained muscle mass and its had an affect on him.. I'm not saying he cant condition himself and improve on this, change his training regime and improve. Think you're swinging for no reason here...
Can you honestly say you think he's as fit as he should be? Do you think he has bulked up and its affecting him.

I've maintained the whole time I don't think he's 100% fit. I do not attribute that to him bulking up, he looks the same size as last year to me. I don;t think he's slower, just not as fit.
Spammy The Vee
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Spammy The Vee »

A good pal and fellow Hammer here NYC, missed yesterday's match on the box.
Is there a link where he can watch it without getting the score in advance ?
Anyone ?
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

Not a great game but I still enjoyed. It's a good feeling not being nervous about conceding a goal at any minute. Looking solid........
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Spammy The Vee wrote:A good pal and fellow Hammer here NYC, missed yesterday's match on the box.
Is there a link where he can watch it without getting the score in advance ?
Anyone ?
There you go :thup:
http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2017 ... ighlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Patito wrote:You seemed to be insinuating there was a difference between muscle gained by using lighter weight in higher rep ranges, as opposed to what you called "bulking muscle".
I didn't mean to insinuate that it was more about the recovery maybe I wasn't clear, when bulking the method of training allows longer recovery which doesn't suit, his sprinting ability is great but he's not recovering which means a change of training is required in my eyes.
Patito wrote:I agree he has gotten worse since his injury. :thup:

I also agree his fitness is lacking as well, and that actually is something I've mentioned a number of times whilst I've bombarded the last couple pages.
:thup:
Patito

Post by Patito »

StackerJJ wrote: a change of training is required in my eyes.
Perhaps this is something Moyes has implemented and it's taking a while for him to get used to it.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Patito wrote:Perhaps this is something Moyes has implemented and it's taking a while for him to get used to it.
I hope you're right, I want to see him back to his best and unfortunately for him his best requires him being in tip top shape. Certainly still a pain but not as effective. :crest:
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

essexguy wrote:Not meaning to keep this thread off topic but has anyone seen how muscly Ronaldo is. The guy is huge across the upper chest and arms.

He seems to be able to run OK.
He's not "huge". He is about 13 stone by my estimation. He looks bigger than he is due to very low bodyfat levels.

He's the perfect hybrid athlete to my mind, which is probably what you want in football.
Spammy The Vee
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Spammy The Vee »

There you go :thup:
http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2017 ... ighlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]
Cheers Harry, will pass along !
TSmitty
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by TSmitty »

Spammy The Vee wrote:There you go :
Cheers Harry, will pass along !
Ta very much HH & Spammy
Site was nobbled, it says " no longer available due to a copyright claim by owner"
I found the highlights though and looks like we did very nicely thank you very much.
Couldn't buy a pen as usual, and nearly nicked it at the death.
I'd have taken a draw before the off
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

1. Lanzini mediocre IMHO - constantly caught in possession and far too many errant passes.

2. As you all saw, second half was a particular mare when it came down to possession. Pretty much every player in and around our box gave the ball away instantly just outside of our box. Panic doesn't describe it. Our midfield was simply outplayed and could barely compete for large parts of the half.

3. For the most part, Adrian could have had cobwebs hanging from the posts - as good as they were Arsenal couldn't score in a brothel on Weds night. Their shooting was diabolical. Think they had two shots on target the entire match. Notable exception was the Sanchez free kick - a very well struck kick that was placed perfectly. Adrian did very well to keep it out - a great job and certainly did his part to help nick the point. Delighted that Moyes chose him again - the right player between the sticks for us right now.

4. Ogbonna stepped up and showed me he's a player. Did very well - MoTM by a country mile for me. Never knew he had it in him.

5. Masuaku had a very quiet night - couldn't beat his man on the wing and had far too many giveaways. Quite a contrast to Chelsea.

6. Arnie showed some of the form that was missing earlier this season. I never knew he could be such a handful. Again, delighted to see it, there were times when he did some amazing work . . . and he can be a real pain in any defender's ar** when he's got the bit between his teeth: skill, strength and speed.

7. Hard work and luck on our side meant we nicked the point - means I'm looking forward to Saturday rather than dreading it. Can't wait.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

To your excellent observation in point (2) above, we seem incapable of rectifying this. Does my ****ing head in. Have others observed this ?
Last edited by Up the Junction on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote removed.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

^^^
Surrendering possession is a particular bugbear of mine and is something we do with alarming consistency
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:^^^
Surrendering possession is a particular bugbear of mine and is something we do with alarming consistency
I don't mind quite so much at the other end of the pitch when a player is tackled, or a pass go's astray, but even then, it can be dangerous against teams breaking with pace, but errant, sloppy play in and around the edge of our box has blighted our game for generations and it shows no sign of being eradicated anytime soon
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Possession for the last three games against quality opponents average out at 28%.
However it will surely improve in the upcoming games.
Must do better.
Graza

Post by Graza »

only1post wrote:Possession for the last three games against quality opponents average out at 28%.
However it will surely improve in the upcoming games.
Must do better.
That was tactical though. We were never going to play any of those three trying to retain possession and play through them. We'd have been murdered.

It will pick up against Stoke, but it very much depends on how the game goes. If we are up we'll probably be content without the ball looking for the breaks, if down then that's how I'd expect them to play.

We had 56% against Everton, did us a lot of good...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

mushy wrote:Actually he is built like one of the doorman that used run the doors at Oscars back in the day...
Clacton Pier, mushy?