Stoke City 0-3 West Ham Utd (16/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Stoke City 0-3 West Ham Utd (16/12/17)

Post by Up the Junction »

It'll all have been for nothing if we lose this one.

Possibly our biggest test of the lot, given raised expectations. Good luck, Moysey :thup:
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Re: Stoke City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by sjb958 »

How often does a West Ham performance get the opposition manager the sack? I can't think of it happening too frequently.

However I honestly think we will come up with a great performance and result this weekend that will get Mark Hughes the sack. Mark my words.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Stoke are dropping like a stone.
We REALLY need to win this one. Our first away win of the season?
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

a proper litmus test this one.

our players look much better when they have a task to stick to and don't have to think for themselves. 10 men behind the ball, keeping compact and narrow and sniffing for whatever we can on the break has made our defence look as solid as any in the league. slav even managed it (though not to the standard we have seen under moyes) on the occasion that he surrendered any attacking intent.

it's in transition that we get royally turned over, we have a mix of smart players with little physical presence and largely brainless athletes. asking them to think and play with any sort of intuition or fluidity is usually a recipe for disaster.

the question is does moyes settle for a point up there and apply the same basic gameplan? they need the win as much as we do and it's on their turf. it's not like we haven't created game winning opportunities. letting out the throttle as slav would've done never seems to go well, so on this occasion i wouldn't begrudge a more conservative approach than most would like.

everton were utter ***** when we went up there and look what happened. another result like that would undo so much hard work.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Worried about this one, more so than I was for the Arsenal match.

We must NOT put in a first half performance like against Everton. Once again we are away to a team and manager under pressure, and this time we need to be on the front foot from the beginning to make their crowd anxious. This is not a game to sit back in.

Personally I wouldn't be disappointed with a draw to keep our good run going, but we must not lose this one.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

The shape is working a treat... we are organised and don't look like conceding many plus we are creating chances

Keep the shape... maybe replace Antonio (who is putting in the effort but blowing out of his arse) with Hernandez to give Arnie a different type of support

Collins in for Reid

Otherwise, keep it the same

Keep this confidence and level of performance up and I can't see us losing
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Draws are no good to us now. I understand the caution, so if he is to go safety first which he probably will, we have to take one of the very few scoring opportunities that come our way
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Puff Daddy wrote:Draws are no good to us now. I understand the caution, so if he is to go safety first which he probably will, we have to take one of the very few scoring opportunities that come our way
Why not? Draw against Stoke and beat Newcastle and we will almost certainly be away from the bottom three.

I agree that we should be trying to create and score more from now on, but an away draw is not a bad result unless you are way behind the rest. We're within touching distance now.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

To hell with drawing, this lot are on the edge right now, we should be looking to take them apart
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

OK,so we've tightened up at the back (hopefully) I think we need to start winning at places like Stoke, can we score couple of goals?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

A draw would be a decent result , a win a superb one .

More importantly than either is the continued development of the teams mentality , building their confidence and bonding them as a cohesive unit .Players who are willing to run selflessly for each other , not criticise others who deliver an imperfect pass or point our others failings without addressing their own.

The single biggest differences to my eyes since Moyes has taken over are organisation and application .One of these is in the Managers hands, the other the players .

Notice how by leaving Antonio on for a few extra minutes against Chelsea he could get an additional 10 from him last night . By January he will be a 90 minute player again .That gives the edge back to the manager who can use his subs tactically rather than for the physical shortcomings of individual players .Remember in Sams early days when he had to waste a sub every week to accommodate Guy Demel who could only give him an hour .

Stoke are the home side, their coaching staff are under pressure and they need the win more than us .If we show from the first minute a willingness to press when appropriate and revert to a shape when appropriate , solid banks of four etc then we won't lose .

This isn't about respecting the point this is about the long slow but steady climb out of the hole we put ourselves in by not working hard enough in the opening 10 games of the season .

I fancy Hernandez to come off the bench quite late and nick a winner from a goal mouth scramble .
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

the pink palermo wrote:A draw would be a decent result , a win a superb one .
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Would like to see Hernandez in for Antonio for this one. I know many won't agree with me but I'd also consider replacing Lanzini with Ayew.

Ayew, Hernandez, Arnautovic would give us a much greater goalscoring threat for the times we do get forward, and we should still be able to maintain the work-rate.
Lord Zoltan
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Lord Zoltan »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Would like to see Hernandez in for Antonio for this one. I know many won't agree with me but I'd also consider replacing Lanzini with Ayew.

Ayew, Hernandez, Arnautovic would give us a much greater goalscoring threat for the times we do get forward, and we should still be able to maintain the work-rate.
Disagree totally, I wouldn't have Ayew in for anybody, look to offload in Jan to bring in a quality midfielder.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

dodger wrote:Why not? Draw against Stoke and beat Newcastle and we will almost certainly be away from the bottom three.
I don't know about that. 2 points would see us marginally out of the bottom 3. Doesn't really do a lot for us to be fair.

Newcastle at home is a MUST WIN.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

I'll be looking for a convincing performance and a nice 0 - 2 away win.

Let's hope they keep beanpole Crouch on the bench
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

I was happy with the draw last night and I will be happy with a draw on Saturday.
It is about stopping the rot and getting a few points on the board. We need to be tight at the back and I think we have enough about us to nick a goal on the break.
Our problem this season has been the amount of goals we leak and how shaky we look at the back.A third clean sheet will build the confidence, we are in a relegation battle and a solid defence will get us out of the danger zone
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Coops wrote:I was happy with the draw last night and I will be happy with a draw on Saturday.
It is about stopping the rot and getting a few points on the board. We need to be tight at the back and I think we have enough about us to nick a goal on the break.
Our problem this season has been the amount of goals we leak and how shaky we look at the back.A third clean sheet will build the confidence, we are in a relegation battle and a solid defence will get us out of the danger zone
You are Sam Allaryce and I claim my £5
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Are there any decent pubs in the city centre? Went to the desinganted away pub (The Terrace?) last year, and didn't think it was that great, so looking for somewhere different this time around.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

sjb958 wrote:
You are Sam Allaryce and I claim my £5
Don't get me wrong I don't want to see us play negative football and I didn't want Sam here. But in the position we are in it is just what we need. We have to top leaking goals and we have got to do whatever we can to survive, we are 2nd from bottom having conceded 32 goals in 17 games. That is relegation form and we were looking certs to go down 4 games ago. Tighten up the defence for now and hopefully we can develop a more attacking style once we are out of the mire.