Stoke City 0-3 West Ham Utd (16/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Re: Stoke City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Fishdo »

Great day yesterday...

On the back of some very good and organised performances...

Moyes and his team are certainly making a difference to these players and I’m sure we will keep this momentum going....

Bit of a shame we have the Tuesday cup game... it’s going to say a lot about the way Moyes thinks of our chances in the PL depending on his starters for that game...

I still don’t get how anyone can say that penalty wasn’t deserved.... slow mo is all well and good but in studying it you forget that Manu had just run 70 yards at a pace as had the defenders running back and across.. the tackler was only interested in Manu not the ball...

Anticipation is not nor can it be treated as simulation or indeed be penalised retrospectively...

I’d say the same thing if it had been the other way round....
Mosterhammer
Has liked: 1141 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Mosterhammer »

Is there any way to watch the whole game now? I can't find a link but I know that sometimes one of you guys puts a link on this page after a match.. Anyone got anything?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

https://highlightsfootball.com/video/st ... -united/3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Jon »

There were doubts going into this game that we've re learnt how to defend but could we attack & score.

8-)
Mosterhammer
Has liked: 1141 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Mosterhammer »

fmgod wrote:https://highlightsfootball.com/video/st ... -united/3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Legend! :scarfer: Thank you sir.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 413 likes

Post by miles »

They spent £18million on Wimmer. Have pity on them...
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

miles wrote:They spent £18million on Wimmer. Have pity on them...
He might look different under another manager, four weeks ago every player we had wasn't good enough and we had a really poor squad blah blah etc
brownout
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 179 likes

Post by brownout »

It was a most enjoyable day.
My only slight disappointment was to see West Ham wasting time in the corners when we were 3.0 up. Surely even we weren't going to let in 3 goals in the last five minutes - but we might have scored one or two more.
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

fmgod wrote: He might look different under another manager, four weeks ago every player we had wasn't good enough and we had a really poor squad blah blah etc
But Wimmer really is poor, and has looked poor at every team that he has played at. 18m was a typical Levy stitch up.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Most have got wise to Levy but somehow he is still catching the odd one out, probably bleeding want the same amount they paid for Sissokho back
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

This week's edition of the Opposition View did not fail to disappoint - thanks!

That being said I was pleasantly surprised to see a few comments defending Arnie's actions and rightly so - fair play to those people.

If a player returns to us and we applaud him as his name is read out on the team-sheet and give him a great welcome, I'd expect a bit of respect in return. I don't mind players celebrating scoring against their old clubs either as long as they're not over the top. HOWEVER, if we boo them for the whole game, chant abuse etc etc - all bets are off. I wouldn't then complain if they did what Arnie did. Cult hero in the making.
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

Never an easy place to go and another fantastic defensive performance with Ginge looking like he'd never been away. We've gone from shipping shedloads to becoming one of the tightest defences around since the Everton shocker. Fitness levels are up and we counter attack with pace and style. Still think there's room for Chicarito in the team though but what do I know? Arnie now looks like the player I thought we'd signed in the first place. Strong and powerful. Could have had a hat trick.
Is it too early to be getting excited?
COYI. :crest:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4378 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

fmgod wrote:He might look different under another manager,
He looked awful under Pochettino, FMG.

Emenike murdered him in the game where they wanted to go top and we beat them 1-0.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

The best away performance for some time...defensively solid...offensively we are still flagrant, scored 3 but on chances should have got at least 5. No a single player let themselves down, we are just beginning to purr a little.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Best thing about this game for me was that we kept attacking and didn't try and hang on to the 1-0 (BFS style). Love that stoke didn't get a shot on target. The other good statistic is that stoke had something like 7 or 8 shots blocked, which just shows how we're suddenly putting bodies on the line. Loved watching MOD for a change
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

brownout wrote:It was a most enjoyable day.
My only slight disappointment was to see West Ham wasting time in the corners when we were 3.0 up. Surely even we weren't going to let in 3 goals in the last five minutes - but we might have scored one or two more.
I'm going to respectfully disagree mate. Under Bilic we were far too 'nice' to teams, and our game management was some of the worst in the league, hence all the late conceded goals, sloppy red cards etc (which were very prevalent even in his first and best season).

It's refreshing to see us being clever and instead of going for 4 or 5-0 we would rather stick with the 3-0 and the clean sheet, which to me is massively important psychologically for the defenders and the keeper. If they'd conceded a late Stoke consolation goal against that s***heap of a side then it would be a real slap in the face after defending brilliantly for 90 minutes.

But anyway, great day out, one of the most enjoyable away days in recent memory. :scarfer:
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

brownout wrote:My only slight disappointment was to see West Ham wasting time in the corners when we were 3.0 up.
Shame we didnt do that at Palace when we needed to.
hammer_sandwich

Post by hammer_sandwich »

Just a few observations. Arnautovic was outstanding. Could’ve had 5. Lanzini was superb. Masuaku was excellent. Mark Hughes was embarrassing. Did Stoke not agree to selling Marko? Arnautovic’s goal celebration was wonderful. Well done West Ham, take a bow David Moyes.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

Can't get Earth Wind and Fire out of my head.