EFLCQF: Arsenal 1-0 West Ham Utd (19/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by westlondonhammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Posted in the manager thread, but better suited here:

I am at a loss to understand why attempting to attack now and again last night, would threaten our Premier league survival in some way?

We have put out worse teams than that before and still given it a go

The line up is no excuse for the complete absence of attacking ambition
Probably more down to the players than the manager - sometimes the players have to take responsibility for not turning up. Its hard to attack when on every opportunity you are giving it straight to the opposition - pretty sure that wasn't the gameplan.

I doubt the game plan was much different to the Arsenal and Chelsea games, however the personnel and execution wasn't the same... it happens
badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by badabing »

Probably the worst game v Arsenal that I can remember, a total lack of intensity from both sides, what was the point of that great comeback against Spurs if we're going to play like that? If we really can't be bothered In a cup quarter final then we may as well give up, it really is all about staying in the premier league gravy train, aside from the cups, what else are we supposed to try and win?
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

Porkeyes wrote:It's the brainwashed Sky brigade that think that last night didn't matter. It was a quarter final, London derby with 7k West Ham there against a Big Four club who were there for the taking and we didn't bother. Let's concentrate on finishing mid table in the over puffed Premier League instead of actually lifting a cup eh?

What a waste of floodlight electricity that was. Seriously that ground is actually devoid of any emotion at all. Their "fans" are just the gayest thing I've ever witnessed why on Earth do they bother going to the ground they add nothing at all. The same could be said for the majority in that away end. Who are these people and why have they latched onto us? Nothing at all like a West Ham away end, ****ing lame.
It was a board decision, cant blame Moyes at all.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Jon wrote:Moyes is not the first West Ham manager to swerve a cup match. Leicester won't get relegated or get top 4. Played a much weaker Man City side and left Mahrez and Vardy on the bench. It's shameful.
He should have left them both on the bench - those 2 were the only Leicester players to miss their penalties!
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

I mentioned it earler but quitting like that to stop us playing a maximum of three more games, THREE, one of which could win us a ****ing trophy and a day out at Wembley at the very least.

Absolute weak willed ****ing b*llocks. If it's that big a ****ing deal, don't ****ing enter it in the first place.

EDIT: Just read that back and you may be able to tell I am still ever so slighty annoyed by the attitude !
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

mushy wrote: It was a board decision, cant blame Moyes at all.
b*llocks, he can grow a set of them too. That game is not going to f*** us up. We will be relegated or not by the way we play for the rest of the season.
SXreject

Post by SXreject »

Porkeyes wrote:It did not seem like the normal away crowd at all last night. No way. Very watered down and quiet.
The attitude Of The players didn't help Obiang and Obonna were ****ing amateurish to say the least the amount of times he Obiang list the ball last night was embarrassing.

If they don't give a f*** and don't know what a day out at Wembley would be for us then they are bigger c**** than I thought.

Next year everyone should just give it a swerve like they have effort a swerve last night. Headbanger
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Gary P :thup:

If the Management had given a f*** they would have had Quinna off long before they did. I had no problem him starting, but why it took them 85 minutes to realise he was treading water and to hook him off can only lead me to believe they really werent committed to try and win the game.

If they were that concerned about giving youth a chance while keeping Arnie on trickle-charge for Newcastle, then the HackSack&Crack should have been on after 60 minutes at the latest.

****ing shocking approach, tactics and performances.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Bristol City showing how it's done.
preston
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by preston »

So disappointing! Awful display and awful set up, especially Cresswell on the right! Reminded me of some of the worst displays under BFS, but against weaker opposition, and Bilic had picked the team! it was like we were going for 0-0 then chuck on the big guns for the last 15 or so.That game was there for the taking. We don't ask or expect too much, but to not have a real go in q/f in front of thousands of your fans to me is piss poor, and Mr Moyes must take a fair share of that blame. We approached it like a friendly or training game, and have risked losing the positive momentum just gained.

Only highlight for me was meeting up with some fellow hammers!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Man Utd out
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

...and their football is utter garbage
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

preston wrote:
Only highlight for me was meeting up with some fellow hammers!
For me too mate.

I thought of you driving home until the early hours with so little to show for it. One day mate, one day....
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Bristol City showing what you can do if you actually try and win a football match, still we can all have a party if/when we finish 17th :thdn:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

How stoopid of Bristol City! They were going for promotion and will now be relegated. Mugs.
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

swash wrote:Bristol City showing what you can do if you actually try and win a football match, still we can all have a party if/when we finish 17th :thdn:
:thup:
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Doc H Ball wrote:How stoopid of Bristol City! They were going for promotion and will now be relegated. Mugs.
:lol:
claretchris
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by claretchris »

Puff Daddy wrote:Bristol City showing how it's done.
On the plus side, we’ve saved ourselves the humiliation of a semi final loss to Bristol City...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

westlondonhammer wrote:
Probably more down to the players than the manager - sometimes the players have to take responsibility for not turning up. Its hard to attack when on every opportunity you are giving it straight to the opposition - pretty sure that wasn't the gameplan.

I doubt the game plan was much different to the Arsenal and Chelsea games, however the personnel and execution wasn't the same... it happens
We didn't bother attacking at home to Arsenal last week either. No shots on target will only get you so far
Westferry Iron

Post by Westferry Iron »

claretchris wrote: On the plus side, we’ve saved ourselves the humiliation of a semi final loss to Bristol City...
You don't seriously think Carabao would've drawn a WHU v Bristol C semii? There will be heads rolling tonight that after half a day behind closed doors with no witnesses and they allowed United to be drawn away. To Bristol C? Surely it was safe enough....

Hahahahahahahahahaha