EFLCQF: Arsenal 1-0 West Ham Utd (19/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Wembley1966 »

9 - 8 win for us.

Adrian brought on as sub in the last minute - scoring the winning penalty after 0 - 0 after extra time.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Wembley1966 wrote:9 - 8 win for us.

Adrian brought on as sub in the last minute - scoring the winning penalty after 0 - 0 after extra time.
Having thrown his gloves to the floor like someone declaring a duel.

What a night that was!
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

OFT wrote:
That's my thinking....

The cup competitions seem a cosy way of keeping the Sub goalie happy but now's not the time for that IMO..continuity is king.
I disagree, in that I view it as also being a way of keeping the sub keeper match sharp, as you never know when he'll be called upon.

And Hart is still a very good keeper.

Moyes knows better than us who can hack the busy schedule, but I'd bring in Byram for Zab, Ayew for Antonio and have Pea up top.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Is Fernandes fit?

if he is I would be tempted to put him in the Lanzini role for the first 45, tell him go and show them what you can do. Play without fear.

I think the Arse are more worried about us than we are about them, we know what they can do, we on the other hand have an abilility to mix it up, Lets just get out there and give them a game, .
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:Is Fernandes fit?
Not so far as I know.

Nor is Byram.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

They'll want this as a ticket to Europe, now their CL gate looks likely to be closed even now. It will be even tougher than the PL game at home.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Fancy us in this to be fair. Arsenal have been pony lately and only managed to beat a struggling Newcastle 1-0 at home yesterday. They also have Liverpool on the Friday night so Wenger may look to play a weakened side. We also come in to this off the back of three very very good results and confidence flowing. I won't be too gutted if we lost to be honest but as long as we give it a go.

Come on you Irons.
MD_HM
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Arsenal play Liverpool on Friday night don’t forget

I’d suggest that game is far more important to Wenger.

A reserve side losing to us won’t be as bad as their first team losing to Liverpool with them overtaking Arsenal into fourth spot.

So a lot will depend on the Arsenal side.

We should play a strong team either way.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

With our next 3 PL games in mind over a busy Christmas period I'm inclined to give some boys a rest. Ogbonna, Zaba, Arnie, Obiang, Cresswell, Lanzini. It's a catch 22 here. We go for it with our strongest 11, we lose and have tired legs going into Newcastle and Bournemouth could affect us. Even if we win Citeh are still in it. Would rather take 9 points off Newcastle, Bournemouth and WBA. 3 very important games. As others have said think arsenal will play a weakened side anyway so let get Rice, Ayew, Chicha, byram, Kouyate, Fernandes if fit all some.minutes
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Me & Paddy O'Hammer have absolutely no idea how we will do in this game...
Eastcoast
Location: Sunrise Coast - totscum hotspur its happened again!

Post by Eastcoast »

StackerJJ wrote:With our next 3 PL games in mind over a busy Christmas period I'm inclined to give some boys a rest. Ogbonna, Zaba, Arnie, Obiang, Cresswell, Lanzini. It's a catch 22 here. We go for it with our strongest 11, we lose and have tired legs going into Newcastle and Bournemouth could affect us. Even if we win Citeh are still in it. Would rather take 9 points off Newcastle, Bournemouth and WBA. 3 very important games. As others have said think arsenal will play a weakened side anyway so let get Rice, Ayew, Chicha, byram, Kouyate, Fernandes if fit all some.minutes
Agree with this + Sakho. Although I doubt Byram or Fernandes will be available which is a pain for Moyes.
I heard Arnie has a calf strain and Lanzini might get banned.
He might give Johnson a game as he was on the bench a few games back - I must admit I know absolutely nothing about him.
The league cup is ruined with the 2 leg semi, terrible idea aimed at making a shock more improbable.
With a small squad and a few unavailable can we handle 2 extra games in Jan and the battle in the bottom half.
We need to concentrate on the points now not sweating coming April/May when the fixtures are tough.
Be interesting to see what Moyes does.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I suspect the logic will be:
- 2 important league games coming up
- Lots of current injuries and players half carrying knocks
- Even if we get through we'll likely have a two leg semi against Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea followed by a final against another of that three

Can't see anything other than a half strength side at best. We could still see a few of Carroll, Ayew, Hernandez and Sakho on the pitch but centre mid and defence will probably look significantly weaker.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

I have already conceded the league to Man City so winning a cup is a priority. :arry:
When I bought my ticket for this game I doubted my own sanity but now I am looking forward to it. COYI
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I doubt that Adrian, Ogbonna, Lanzini, Antonio, Obiang and Arnautovic will start due to them playing almost every 90 in the last four and because others need some game time.

Arsenal will play their Europa League team.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

The good thing is if we do play like Hart, Ayew, Sakho, Carroll etc there is actually competition for places now and they will have to perform if they want to start.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

A dogged 0-0. Then we'll unleash in ET and win 0-2. Arnie off the bench and The Pea
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

P.S.

Please keep Adrian in goal.

Can't see Hart throwing his gloves to the ground before stepping up for the vital penalty
(if my prediction of 0-2 doesn't come to pass)
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

What's the best underground for away supporters and could someone pm me the best pub for away supporters.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

I really fancy Sakho for this one. The inclusion of Ayew and Rice does not weaken us massively (if at all) and I think Moyes will give Hart a game. Might even give Byram a go in place of Zab (not sure if he is fit?)

4 or 5 changes is a reasonable compromise given the up and coming prem schedule.

......................................................Hart......................................................

..........................Rice...................Collins...............Cresswell.......................

Zab/Byram..................................Obiang............................................Masuaku

.................Ayew...........................Lanzini.....................................Arne..........

.....................................................Sakho.......................................................
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

DO NOT PLAY HART!!! If we do I can see us losing, Adrian all day long for me!

We should play our strongest team and then swap it round against Newcastle, but keep Hart on the bench, which I think we can do as they are dire at the moment.