EFLCQF: Arsenal 1-0 West Ham Utd (19/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

chigwells finest wrote:I didn't go , and I haven't watched any highlights ( if any ) , but its a disgrace to the travelling support , no doubt buoyed by the recent upsurge in our form , who like me , expected a better showing than that last night . once I saw Quina's name down , I knew we were going to struggle as he's definitely no where near ready for 1st team . respect to all who wasted their money
I've seen countless posts on here about giving Quina and Martinez a chance. As soon as that happens and he doesn't perform, it becomes a problem.

Unfortunately last night is a typical cup competition game under these owners. We all see the Sullivan reaction when we beat Spurs. It didn't seem like one of happiness. They are the problem, not Moyes. He's employed by them and if he's asked to focus on the league, then that's his task. As fans we aren't going to be happy about it, but what can you do?

We had European qualification twice in a row and put out reserve teams against a small team from Romania. That was under Bilic, and it's likely he was told the same.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

The Leicester game was just the same team wise though

Leicester - Backup keeper, right back, CB, both wingers, CM and striker all changed
Manchester City - Backup keeper, backup back, two back up midfielders, backup forward, only three first team players in Silva, Jesus and Guedogan

The massive difference between both games was just the intensity from both teams, I don't even think we was was bad, we as just far from good, same as Arsenal, considering their strike force was three internationals Giroud, Welbeck and Walcott
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Arsenal
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=131986
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Nick W wrote:Sad to have not put in a good fight but Newcastle this weekend is a bigger game we must win

All due respect, therein lies the problem. Prioritising a relegation scrap over the possibility of silverware. No wonder we never win anything these days.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Posted in the manager thread, but better suited here:

I am at a loss to understand why attempting to attack now and again last night, would threaten our Premier league survival in some way?

We have put out worse teams than that before and still given it a go

The line up is no excuse for the complete absence of attacking ambition
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

wigwig wrote:You don’t have to prefer a cup win to not being relegated to be annoyed about last night. But tbf, with the midfielders available we were screwed anyway.

He had Arnautovic on the bench he could have used, that's inexcusable. 28yo bang in form right now and our new record creative signing, it werejt as if his hands were tied due to suspension or injury. Not relying on a could of kids in the middle.
Colours never run

Puff Daddy wrote:Moyes admitted this morning, we have more important fish to fry than this competition

Did he really? ****ing gutless if true.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

We didn’t attack because we played sh*t, no looking beyond that. Ayew and Hernandez didn’t work together and then when Moyes made moves to change things, Carroll and Sakho were useless too.

Didn’t help that we had Obiang as our only senior midfielder, and he always looks short of ability when he’s being asked to pull strings. He’s a complement to a better midfielder who does the base work, not the main man.

Gonna go against the grain and give Quina man of the match from our side. Always offering, moved well with the ball, covered well and scrapped. Thought his touch was good too.

We lacked the energy of Lanzini, Antonio and Arnautovic. Not having 1 or 2 would have been derailing, but all Three was an impossible ask in our setup.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I note an Arsenal fan on the 'Oppo's view' column says ' I reckon that match was fixed, just one shot on target in the entire match and every decision went our way' Put like that, I reckon he's right, that was a stage managed game. Maybe one day, the FA may order an investigation into this match under match fixing regulations
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Feel sorry for the people that went when you hear **** coming from the board that we have bigger fish to fry. We have four days rest until Newcastle, at home! Pretty sure we were promised next level you dildo c****, that means challenging on all fronts with a squad you've actually spent some money on! just putting more pressure on themselves to beat Newcastle at the weekend imo.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:
I've seen countless posts on here about giving Quina and Martinez a chance. As soon as that happens and he doesn't perform, it becomes a problem.

Unfortunately last night is a typical cup competition game under these owners. We all see the Sullivan reaction when we beat Spurs. It didn't seem like one of happiness. They are the problem, not Moyes. He's employed by them and if he's asked to focus on the league, then that's his task. As fans we aren't going to be happy about it, but what can you do?

We had European qualification twice in a row and put out reserve teams against a small team from Romania. That was under Bilic, and it's likely he was told the same.
Quina is nowhere near a place in the first team , I don't care what crap is written before he's not ready .
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

Slight changes to that team could have made all the difference and we still could of fielded a stronger side v Newcastle at the weekend.

Bit of a cop out really & those who paid for the privilege must feel aggrieved some what.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Puff Daddy wrote:I note an Arsenal fan on the 'Oppo's view' column says ' I reckon that match was fixed, just one shot on target in the entire match and every decision went our way' Put like that, I reckon he's right, that was a stage managed game. Maybe one day, the FA may order an investigation into this match under match fixing regulations
nearly as bent as the draw in the 1st place
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

chigwells finest wrote:Quina is nowhere near a place in the first team , I don't care what crap is written before he's not ready .
I'd have personally played the lad from Montenegro - at least he's played amongst senior players in a senior league before, albeit a weak one.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Sadly I think many fans of many clubs are years behind in grasping modern football.

We may love the cups, love the bigger allocations and chance of glory but years ago clubs gave up on them.

Moyes is not the first West Ham manager to swerve a cup match. Leicester won't get relegated or get top 4. Played a much weaker Man City side and left Mahrez and Vardy on the bench. It's shameful.

We played an Arsenal side who are playing a massive game on friday! We're not playing till saturday, team's on a high and yet the club (Not Moyes) throws the game.

Why enter cups anymore? Take the dream away. It'll be less painful.
Cottee
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Cottee »

Seen the youths a few times this season and the truth is none of them are remotely near the Premier League. Haksabanovic will probably be the best of the lot, Quina has a lot to do but could still possibly rise through, but I don't see Toni any more than a Championship player unfortunately.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

chigwells finest wrote:Quina is nowhere near a place in the first team , I don't care what crap is written before he's not ready .
Burnley Hammer wrote: I'd have personally played the lad from Montenegro - at least he's played amongst senior players in a senior league before, albeit a weak one.
We're not currently trying to get Haksabanovic to sign his first professional contract so that we get decent compensation should he leave though mate.

Not the way we roll
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Puff Daddy wrote:Moyes admitted this morning, we have more important fish to fry than this competition
Colours never run wrote:Did he really? ****ing gutless if true.
said as much after the game, "no matter what team you are, the league is the priority", or similar.

a kick in the b*llocks, but also true.

but if that's all the efford we'll ever get in the cups, the stadium should be deserted. utopia, i know.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Wembley1966 wrote:So why did it take him so long to realise that it wasn't working
I don't know - you tell me?
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

I also have my doubts regarding the integrity of this cup competition. Money and corruption go together so even if we got through to semi-final/ final , strings would have been pulled to ensure we never won.