West Ham Utd 2-3 Newcastle Utd (23/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: match thread

Post by hammer1975 »

Fullbacks exploited - even in a 5 at the back formation.

Kouyate and Obiang continue to not 'gel' together in centre mid.

Same probs, different day
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

And we threw a cup game for that.Yet another Christmas ruined.Whether you like Moyes or not,seems to me he's about our level.TBH,we're crap.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Did anyone see antonio on itvs attempt at sky's league of their own?

Put it this way...if he played for anyone than us I would have classed him as an obnoxious conceited ****er.

I suspect he has been "got at" with his brief flirtation with the England squad. He will be off soon I suspect.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

For someone who is supposed to be a defensive manager, Brnitez certainly set them up in an attacking way yesterday. They were constantly getting 5 and 6 players in our box. Even with five at thr back we are still ridiculously suspect to teams who attack at pace on the counter, esp from wide areas
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

They overloaded us on attacks, we didn't seem to track them so they had options when attacking. Fair play to Rafa they totally exploited our weaknesses and deserved the win.
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

Zabaleta...over-rated nightmare of a player. Shouldn't be anywhere near the team.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

You could tell Ayew was going to miss that penalty before he took it, it was right in my eyeline, minimal run-up and he didn’t look very confident. I was surprised it was even given, looked outside of the box to me.

Also, Adrian beaten on his near post for the free-kick. He was too far across on the other side of the goal, it was almost as he was gifting it like Jaaskelainen used to do.

Far too many errors yesterday. I see Moyes was talking himself up in the press pre-match, well we’re not out of the woods yet. Silly thing to do at this stage of the season imo, very Allardyce-esque.
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Tenbury wrote:And we threw a cup game for that.Yet another Christmas ruined.Whether you like Moyes or not,seems to me he's about our level.TBH,we're crap.
:thup: summed up precisely for me
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

FWIW I saw it as a penalty. Looked bang on the line and that's good enough for me. However it was as clear as crystal thst Ayew was never going to score, nervous and hesitant not a good mix.
We are in a relegation fight for the long haul I fear. We really are the gift that keeps giving for teams on a bad run. Bournemouth and West Brom next, they must be licking their lips.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

bubbles1966 wrote:I think Cresswell was picked pretty much because of his set play capabilities. Understandable in Lanzini's absence.
You mean his ability to float harmless free kicks straight into their keepers arms?

I watched the last five minutes of the Leicester game last night and saw Marc Albrighton put in three better crosses in five minutes than our entire team managed in 94 yesterday.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Patito wrote:

Wall was terrible IMO.

All day long. I'm a big believer that if a Keeper sets a wall one side and mainly guards the other, then good luck to the free kick taker to get it over the wall into the bottom corner which he done. It was a quality free kick well placed with pace. The Keeper had no chance and it shoukdnt be expected of a Keeper to keep that shot out. However from memory the ones in the wall barely jumped high enough. I also had an issue with whoever it was that initially gave the needless free kick away.

As for the other 2 goals defensively, dear God it was awful defending.

It feels like after the good work done against the likes of Stoke and Chelsea, we've gone backwards again with Moyes having a mare of a week the last 2 games. Let's have it right, Newcastle battered us and the woodwork saved our blushes which kept us still in it at half time. A newly promoted team who struggled to buy a win in 10. Absolutely pitiful performance.

And we certainly haven't done any better than had Bilic stayed.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Watching MOTD this morning we were shocking at the back and non-existent defensively in midfield. Their first 3 chances after the equaliser (post, bar and just over) they had 3-4 players in the space between our defence and midfield completely unmarked every time. And for their second there is no pressure on the ball whatsoever, Ciaran Clark is allowed to bring the ball down and take TWO touches and then play a forward ball under ZERO pressure from Kouyate who just stands there. Then Zabaleta jumps in like a ****ing amateur and we're 1-2 down. The way we gifted them the third is just keystone cops and again Zabaleta is at fault for not taking charge and then clearing it straight into his own player.

Kouyate should be nowhere near our team and Zabaleta simply isn't good enough.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Billydinho wrote:
Why though Chalks? Why does he want out?
He’s got a case of the Nigel Reo Cokers.
hammer_sandwich

Post by hammer_sandwich »

rossmundo wrote:Zabaleta...over-rated nightmare of a player. Shouldn't be anywhere near the team.
Completely agree. I’m amazed how he gets himself out of position on a constant basis. Been at fault for so many goals this season. Was a good player in his day. Is way way past it now.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

johnnyb wrote:Was Newcastle's first goal caused by a poor wall or poor goalkeeping? Haven't seen it again yet but the actual free kick didn't seem that well struck from where I was sitting.
Cresswell! His attempted cross-field pass from one touchline to the other when there were better options, got nowhere near our player and was easily intercepted. Then Reid panics and kicks at the ball at head height instead of heading it away.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I imagine he’ll go somewhere like Everton. Shame he seemed a really nice lad when he first arrived. Sad to hear he’s become a tosser both on and off the pitch.
steps

Post by steps »

Wtf was Kouyate doing for their second goal? He just casually jogged back and let Diame run past him failing to track at all.

Dreadful.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

steps wrote:Wtf was Kouyate doing for their second goal? He just casually jogged back and let Diame run past him failing to track at all.

Dreadful.
He's done that for the past 12 months.
steps

Post by steps »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:He's done that for the past 12 months.
We’re in desperate need of a competent DM. It has to be our number one priority in Jan.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

I was hoping Rice would be given the nod yesterday.