West Ham Utd 2-3 Newcastle Utd (23/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: match thread

Post by Beavis Danzig »

will be intrigued to see what slav has to say about this match on goals on sunday tomorrow given that it was a throwback to some of the worst performances under his time with us.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

After that, Andy Carroll has to go. I'd rather lose than watch his inept displays. One trick pony and even that trick isn't any good any more.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Ratings fwiw:
Adrian 5 - not great for the first goal but couldn't do anything about the other two. Not many saves to make.
Cresswell 5 - too many floaty crosses, and not great defensively.
Ogbonna 6 - he was OK but not authorative.
Reid 4 - one of the worst performances I've seen him put in, summed up by that awful clearance that led to one of their goals.
Masuaku 8 - excellent. Only downside is that he sometimes tries to do too much himself.
Zabaleta 5 - some decent parts but caught out too many times, and completely done a few times as well.
Obiang 5 - poor passing. Felt bad for him at times though as Kouyate kept going AWOL.
Kouyate 4 - positioning rubbish. All he did well was head the ball. Horrendous at passing a football.
Ayew 6 - barring the penalty he was pretty good. That penalty though...
Antonio 4 - terrible miss from a clear chance in the first half. Won the penalty but even then decided not to play in Arnie which would have meant we didn't need the penalty in the first place.
Arnautovic 9 - excellent. Such a threat and a class above every other player on the pitch. Great effort too.

Subs
Carroll 6 - carried some threat but also not a good decision maker.
Hernandez 6 - decent movement but no opportunities to show he's a better finisher than the rest of them.

Merry bloody Christmas everyone.
Last edited by dodger on Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bielefeld-Hammer
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Bielefeld-Hammer »

Moyes is a "Allardyce"-dinosaur. Unable to change formation or tactics during a game. Carroll>Antonio and Hernandez>Ayew aren't a tactical switch to react when you are down against a very poor side like Newcastle. Poor, dinosaur- coaching Mr. Moyes. The same system over 90min no matter what happens on the pitch.
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Just got in.

Badly missed Noble today - I hope all his detractors from earlier in the season now realise how ridiculous that all was... Obiang is simple shocking without Nobes next to him and besides other obvious issues, we have a gaping hole in the middle without him.

Wtf is up with Antonio?

I’m glad Ayew got his goal, he looked good apart from the penalty. For what it is worth, I didn’t think he was down to take it... I don’t think anyone had been nominated. Looked to me like Cresswell and Arnautovic were debating one of them taking it but. Neither of them went for the ball so Ayew stepped up.

Agree with others on the set up being wrong today, expected more. Had we at least started with a striker on the pitch (anyone of the three would have done...) it would have been a different story.

I’m off to the pub.
Last edited by Blow Bubbles on Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

A shocking result. It was a must win, especially after that display on Tuesday night.

After a couple of good results, Moyes comes out and was 'i can do any job in football' - hilarious.

Makes Tuesday's 'efforts' even more frustrating.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

traxop wrote:Kouyate and Antonio were the very definition of passengers in this game. Obiang tried, but was also very poor. Kouyate was back to his old ways again with their second goal. Ball watching whilst Diame causally jogged into the middle to slot in on the cutback.

We should look to offload these two in the next couple of transfer windows. We need to upgrade the midfield. Both Slaven and Moyes identified this as the problem area, so it's about time to fix it already.

We should also be looking to cash in on Antonio as well before his stock falls any further. He has been an absolute passenger for weeks now. Ideally he should be a 'rawer' version of Arnie with his pace and power, but he just has too much deficiency when it comes to his touch, technique and decision making at this level.

100% agree. I actually think we can still get good money for these 3 and Harry Arter while not exactly exciting is far more effective.at times we were playing with 10 men or fewer because Antonio was doing nothing and Kouyate was a passenger for 90 minuets. Obiang was involved, but unfortunately totally inept.
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

duncanio wrote:After that, Andy Carroll has to go. I'd rather lose than watch his inept displays. One trick pony and even that trick isn't any good any more.
:eh:

He got on the end of pretty much everything thrown at him and put his foot on the ball and tried to make some happen on a couple of occasions too...
Ingwe
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

If I were a betting man, there were two clear signs that would have led me to bet on Newcastle winning this match:

1. Moyes opening his gob to the effect that he's god's gift to football and
2. Newcastle's poor results leading up to this game.

Truly predictable! So West Ham. A gobby manager without cause and charity team at home. :lol:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 510 likes
Total likes: 1304 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

That was ****ing awful.

Arnautovic the only one to come out with credit. I ****ing hate watching us float the ball diagonal to Carroll.

The thing that pissed me off more than anything was the players disappearing down the tunnel at full time quicker than you could say 2-3. Only Arnautovic stopped to applaud.

Shameful.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

Edited by a moderator

You keep trolling match threads with your anti bilic stuff we will keep deleting you, you have been warned before
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

Up the Junction wrote:Not often you see a big man/little man pairing up front two these days. Fingers crossed...
I don't understand why it couldn't work. But to be honest we need some better quailty deliveries.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

Blow Bubbles wrote:
:eh:

He got on the end of pretty much everything thrown at him and put his foot on the ball and tried to make some happen on a couple of occasions too...
Not my view, I find him half hearted, static, unfit and given his speciality he's not effective enough.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I think he's carrying a long term injury or similar. A few years ago he was virtually unbeatable in the air, now he rarely wins one and if he does it's often with the help of his arms.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Sorry someone gave Arthur an 8 and said he was excellent? In the opposition half he looked good but very little end product in our half a liability, he was at fault for the 3rd goal - keep running to the ball and clear up the situation not expect others to try to cover for you.

The only player to come out with any real credit was Arnie. The rest varied between pretty average to downright poor. Had Hart let the first goal in he would be getting real abuse on here, good free kick but Adrian was far too slow to react. The space the found down our left first half was embarrassing mainly because Cresswell was left facing two while the “excellent” Arthur went walkabout, even more so on the occasions that Antonio was also on that side of the pitch.

Zaba did OK but got done like a kipper for their second, it happened about 5 minutes before as well but we failed to give him cover throughout the game when left one on one with a winger who could beat him.

Obiang and Kouyate linked nothing all day and Ayew although a good player showed why he is not a midfield Lanzini replacement.

Moyes said we need creativity in the middle of the park and today exposed that again, when we can sit back and counter we look far better than when we have to create. Today we push on and all the spaces between the defence and midfield and the lack of cover reappear.

I do not understand if we are looking at a centre back, at worst Kouyate can cover in there, we desperately need 3 midfielders, two starting central midfielders and cover for Lanzini. Get those and I suspect the front 2 permutations will get goals.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Blow Bubbles wrote:
Wtf is up with Antonio?

I

Like I've said in the past, he's not a quality Centre Forward and is being played out of position. He needs to be out wide doing what he does best running with the ball not with his back to goal most of the time.

He should be on the opposite flank to Masuaku with them both flying up and down the wings terrorising full backs which they do best.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 510 likes
Total likes: 1304 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

He’ll never play wing back again. Not since Sullivan got involved.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Honeymoon is over - that was abysmal
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

f*** off West Ham just f*** right off.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

So that would be two wing backs who cannot defend then? He does not like the wing back role apparently, certainly his covering back when there leaves a lot to be desired as does Arthur’s. We can occasionally get away with one side going absent but not both.

Whatever his faults usually Antonio gave 100% effort, simply not seeing that now.

Antonio is either not fir or not interested maybe both. He is not a back to goal striker but he is looking hopeless at the moment back to goal facing goal or whatever. The reasons for this need sorting and if he is sulking because he is not being played in what he thinks is his best position then he sits on he bench and someone plays who will give 100%.