Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 West Ham Utd (04/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham Utd match thread

Post by kevino »

Estuary wrote:Anyone checked ebay to see if there is a white parka for sale this morning? :lol:
I saw the guy being spoken to by one of their stewards at half time and assume he was told to stop the obscene gestures at us or be evicted, as I don't recall seeing him make any in the second half. Fair play for wearing a coat like that though!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Was it a bloke?

Never seen 'obscene' gestures like that before either. Looked like he was putting two lightbulbs in.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: We could have done a whole host of things to make life easier for Hernandez - push the wing backs on, play Noble further forward, play Ayew instead of Kouyate, not defend the edge of the box with a line of 8
I think you are failing to give credit to Spurs for the one thing they did very well... put us under pressure very high up the pitch.

Lanzini had no space to play and supply to Hernandez was limited at best. We couldn't get out of our own half because they work so bloody hard as a team.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I really cant think of another way Moyes could have set us up that would have given us a chance of a result.

He couldn't have anticipated Hernandez' disappointing attempt at hold up play,which seriously reduced our attacking options.

Ayew should have replaced him earlier is a fair comment though.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Antwerp_Lad wrote:I see Son is now alluding that he shushed our fans because of racism ?
Predictable.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: i can't remember a premier league game, certainly not this season anyway

But regardless of that, if you are satisfied with west ham playing that way. Fair enough. That is your opinion and perfectly valid

I, and it seems a couple of others (albeit a minority) are not, regardless of points accumulated
I want us to play just like how Man City are, every single game, and I'm going to boo every week until they start doing it.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Spurs are not sweeping all before them this season (they have droppwd quite a few ppints at home). Similarly we are are not in the 4th division, we are a lower mid table Premiership side with players earning 50k+ a week
Unbeaten in five including four wins. Stuck five past teams twice in the last week and a half. They were in top form going into the game.

I’m not a fan of the approach we took, but I think suggesting we’d have much of a chance any other way is being a little naive or overrating the ability of our players.

Does that mean our squad is overpaid for the ability? Probably.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

irving boleyn wrote:

Ayew should have replaced him earlier is a fair comment though.
He was a doubt going into the game so there may have been a limit on the number of minutes we thought he was good for. Only reason i can think of.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Doc H Ball wrote:Never seen 'obscene' gestures like that before either. Looked like he was putting two lightbulbs in.
I find it amusing with Spurs fans. They are always ready to call us do-as-you-likies, knuckle dragging racists, scum, skip drivers etc etc. If they looked a bit closer to home they'd realise they too have toothless half breeds. I remember being right next to them in the upper tier at WHL - just separated by a row of stewards and OB. I swear they had rabies as they were unable to shout obscenities at us for 90 minutes without spitting and drooling everywhere.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

taffhammer wrote:Lets be realistic, every team in the bottom half of the table plays the same way as we did when playing a top six side. We just defended very well and got them on the sucker punch.

Well done Moyes ,you got it spot on last night. Evactly the right tactics for our current level.

Stoke actually tried going forward against Man City, but haven't the players to do so. We haven't either and didn't, so no thumping.

Our real problem is playing our peers where tactically do not defend in numbers....as we all know!

Again, well done Moyes and the boys last night!

And lets play our strongest possible team against Shrewsbury..........................................we also know what could happen here!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Fair dues to Son though, the headlines and biased pundits were trying to say that his goal was as good as Pedro's one but he came out and said that Pedro's goal was a much better by a long way. :thup:
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Who's this bloke in a coat everybody's on about?

Think Son is a top player and seems like a lovely bloke fair play to him.

impressive (if edgy) tactical display from us. I can't believe the transformation of Oggy under Moyes, I knew he had a bit of class about him but didn't think he had this in him. If Moyes can get the team playing better against the teams around us I'll be delighted with him.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

wildkard wrote:I’m starting to think Hernandez isn’t any good. Is he any good? I don’t care about him not being any good “in the system we play” - is he any good at all? How can he not outpace a centre half with a fair head start? For example.
As been said, he's been caught by someone who is extremely quick. Hernandez is good if you use him properly. A couple of times the Sky commentators mentioned about s couple of balls being pumped to Hernandez being pointless. He's getting frustrated becaus his last two starts have been in games where we haven't been looking to attack. Carroll is the better option in those games. It doesn't help that when someone like Ayew is brought into the pitch it's Hernandez who comes off.

I will accept that he should've tried to apply himself a bit better and make a better attempt at the role he's been asked to play, but others have to accept that isn't the role to get the best out of him. He did make a couple of intelligent runs and passes, and there was one occasion where he won the ball near the edge of the box and had absolutely f*** all West Ham players to pass to.

He was brought in by Slav anyway who started him everytime he could pretty much. Twice he played up top with Ayew and they linked up very well. Hernandez would thrive with Ayew, Arnautovic, Lanzini etc to play off in an attack minded team. Bournemouth at home being an example of where we should utilise having someone like Hernandez.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Player ratings from Sky:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:As been said, he's been caught by someone who is extremely quick. Hernandez is good if you use him properly. A couple of times the Sky commentators mentioned about s couple of balls being pumped to Hernandez being pointless. He's getting frustrated becaus his last two starts have been in games where we haven't been looking to attack. Carroll is the better option in those games. It doesn't help that when someone like Ayew is brought into the pitch it's Hernandez who comes off.
If he is going to struggle for us starting against the top six, which is about a third of our league games, it makes signing him look pretty pointless.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Guessing this is the white coat kid :D

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

EvilC wrote:
If he is going to struggle for us starting against the top six, which is about a third of our league games, it makes signing him look pretty pointless.
We don't necessarily have to play like that against the top 6 or anyone, I have no problem with it if we do, Moyes is the manager, he knows best. What makes the signing pointless is if we aren't going to use him to his strengths. If Moyes is going to stay here and wants a different kind of striker then so be it. Don't think it really answers any questions about the ability of Hernandez though.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Jesus that video. I sort of see where David Baddeil is coming from now
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Tottenham
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132038